Selling a motorcycle with plates from another province

jonaz

I posted my motorcycle up from Phuket for my final spell in Bangkok with the intention of selling it before I leave for home.

I've now found out that I need a different plate for Bangkok. I had no idea.

Is there any way I can sell it in Bangkok? I have no time to go through the process of getting new plates.

I have the green book in my name and fully taxed.

Also, I'm on a 30 day visa which I got from a border run. Will this affect me being able to sell it? I was on a tourist visas before this.

Thanks.

Mate I went through a similar process when I bought a bike in buri ram and took it.up to Udon. In my case which I think would be the same for everyone, the onus was on me. After I changed the green book over into my name I paid a registration fee and got plates for Udon. Shouldn't be a drama for you to sell but probably less hassle if you could sell it to a Thai rather than a foreigner. Good luck

Mate I went through a similar process when I bought a bike in buri ram and took it.up to Udon. In my case which I think would be the same for everyone, the onus was on me. After I changed the green book over into my name I paid a registration fee and got plates for Udon. Shouldn't be a drama for you to sell but probably less hassle if you could sell it to a Thai rather than a foreigner. Good luck

Edit: also you shouldn't need a plate to ride your bike around Bangers. To my knowledge there is no need to change the plate until the tax and rego is due. Otherwise how would you be able to ride bikes around Thailand if you needed a new plate everywhere you went

Cheers mate. If I had time I'd actually change the plate but it's going through the whole certificate of residence thing and then the rest of the process. I don't actually think I can get a residency certificate on this 30 day entry stamp anyway. Wasn't a problem on the tourist visa though.

Yeah I suppose its probably better to try and sell it to a Thai or post it back to Phuket and spend a few days holiday down there to sell it before I fly back home.

Thanks for the reply anyway

Edit: also you shouldn't need a plate to ride your bike around Bangers. To my knowledge there is no need to change the plate until the tax and rego is due. Otherwise how would you be able to ride bikes around Thailand if you needed a new plate everywhere you went

Yeah I just don't want to mess anyone around when they try and change the green book to their name and find they can't because of whatever.

To sell you will need a residency certificate and forms filling in, can be sold and reg changed in Bangkok, loads of threads on here..

Another thing that is pissing me off is that I had a residency certificate that I used to register the bike in Phuket and the ministry of transport kept it when I changed the green book. Surely they should have just photocopied it or something. Thought nothing of it at the time. Could prove crucial now though.

To sell you will need a residency certificate and forms filling in, can be sold and reg changed in Bangkok, loads of threads on here..

Another thing that is pissing me off is that I had a residency certificate that I used to register the bike in Phuket and the ministry of transport kept it when I changed the green book. Surely they should have just photocopied it or something. Thought nothing of it at the time. Could prove crucial now though.

The certificates only valid for three months. Most of the time, I get 2x and end up ripping the photo off and throwing the spare one.

Everything is worth a shot. Didn't you copy it yourself ?

My local DLT accepted a photocopy of a 6 month old paper once when registering a bike, in fact they told me to produce it rather than type up a request letter to immigration. Last week I used a 4 month old original to get a 5 year license, blagging the front desk that the guy in the other room said it was fine.

The certificates only valid for three months. Most of the time, I get 2x and end up ripping the photo off and throwing the spare one.

Everything is worth a shot. Didn't you copy it yourself ?

My local DLT accepted a photocopy of a 6 month old paper once when registering a bike, in fact they told me to produce it rather than type up a request letter to immigration. Last week I used a 4 month old original to get a 5 year license, blagging the front desk that the guy in the other room said it was fine.

I didn't photocopy it unfortunately. I took it upon myself to do the whole process myself and the guy I bought it off didn't give me all the documents that I needed and he'd already returned to his home country. So I was just happy to get the green book registered in my name.

In hindsight, I would just have paid the Thai garage in Patong to do it for me. And having read this I would have photocopied the Residency Certificate.

We live and learn I suppose. I should have done my homework really.

I could be wrong but i think you only need a certificate of Residance when buying ? That is certainly the case here in Chiang Mai as i just bought a bike from a French national ,and i was the only one needing the Cert .(IN my case i had a Yellow house book to show instead ) .The plate from a different province is no problem .The bike i bought was Bangkok registered . .They do the name change and also the reg .plate change ,under the same transaction .Its the buyer that deals with that .

Edited by anto

I could be wrong but i think you only need a certificate of Residance when buying ? The plate from a different province is no problem .I just bought a Bangkok registered bike here in Chiang mai .They do the name change and also the reg .plate change ,under the same transaction .Its the buyer that deals with that .

That would be great if that's correct. And it seems logical because I had to fill out the form that the previous owner didn't give me which made things a bit of a problem. It's called the 'Right Of Attorney'? And I wasn't asked to provide his residency permit.

Hopefully someone else who has had a similar experience can chime in as well

Just done one of my bikes re registration. Moved back to Chonburi from Rayong where it was first registered as new, tax and insurance was due and ive had to take it to the local vehicle duty offices for new plates. Job done

Did they require a certificate of residence and how long did it take? Thanks

buyer and seller need a residence certificate or equivalent

Why was I not asked for the seller's residence certificate what I registered my bike do you think?

Do you think it's because I had the signed 'right of attorney' letter?