Did your wife take your last name after you married?

jerojero

My wife did not change her name as we did not want slightest issue or risk to her USA visitors visa and yes, when we enter we always declare we are married and no the IOs never asked anything about it.

I knew the laws were changed re: land but thought it always could be an issue as land is such a dinosaur issue here. Being here so long I also thought she might experirnce prejudice job hunting, if needing to search for another position.

In fact, after three years (six yrs), she wants to use my name and has changed her last to middle and adopted my nsme as last on her fb account.

If/when we go to states on IR1 she will change her name.

I've found out it doesn't impact her visitors visa or land...at this points its time and her laziness.

Wife is very proud to have last name, be part of my family.

If you are not going back 'home' though, I don't really see a plus for her. If your marriage has issues, I would not have her change her name.

Edited by Rocketsurgeon

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine took my last name. Only a hassle when we travel overseas from the U.S. as she still has to travel on her Thai passport under her maiden name. She has to go back to Thailand to get that changed. She will be a US citizen soon and can get her U.S. Passport.

My Wife took my Surname...

ID card, Passport, Driving Licence, Bank Acconunts, Credit Cards, health Insurance, Business Cards etc... Everything has her new (my) surname.......

It's not a big deal for me, she wanted to take my surname...

It's a personal choice for anyone as a couple, I don't see any issues either way....

Same here.

:)

Before we married my wife had already decided she wanted to take my name. Previously, she used the family name of her husband - a genuine registered marriage, not just a religious ceremony - who'd died 20+ years previously.

Making that decision was the easy bit. When we went through the marriage procedure at the Amphur office, it was discovered that there was a problem with using her dead husband's name - even though her ID card bore that name - and that she couldn't marry using that name. I never did find out what the problem was and it's irrelevant now.

She officially changed from her dead husband's name to her maiden name and she married using that. Following the marriage procedure, she officially changed her name to her new married name.

Therefore, in a single day, she had 3 official names; her previous married name, her maiden name and her new married name.

Perhaps amazingly, although it took some time, the whole thing was done with no fuss whatsoever smile.png.

Now, all official documents are in her current married name but bank accounts, bills etc. are in her old married name. She's a teacher and is listed on her Education Office documents as Jintana 'Old Name' (New Name). No problems ever encountered.

Edited by MartinL