Pool "rules"

westcoastnative

I was in Thailand my first time last year. I love to play pool when I drink and there were a number of places to play. But when I played a couple of the bargirls 8 ball they had some weird rules that I wasn't familar with and they weren't very patient in explaining them to me. Since I plan to go back and play more pool can anyone out there explain the differences in the rules between 8 ball in the West and Thai 8 ball.

I was in Thailand my first time last year. I love to play pool when I drink and there were a number of places to play. But when I played a couple of the bargirls 8 ball they had some weird rules that I wasn't familar with and they weren't very patient in explaining them to me. Since I plan to go back and play more pool can anyone out there explain the differences in the rules between 8 ball in the West and Thai 8 ball.

Seems that rules differ from one establishment to the next. The most common set of rules seem to be mainly British rules, with the following exceptions:

1. You only get one shot on the black if your opponent fouls.

2. You have to nominate the pocket that the black is going into.

3. If the white is pocketed by your opponent, you can then position the ball anywhere behind the line, but the subsequent shot has to be played down the table, i.e. has to cross the line before making contact with another ball or the side cushion (this rule I find is particularly annoying!)

3. Sometimes, instead of getting 2 shots for an opponent's foul, you just get one but can position the ball anywhere on the table (like US 8 ball)

4. Usually it's "winner stays on", and if there's a chalk board in the pub then this will be used to allocate the next player.

Very true. The rules are very similar as British rules. Have seen a few European and Americans , also Ozzies guys get pissed off. But their own fault for not asking first. I know the rules. But every pub can be different. So its always good to ask. BTW THai girls that hang around pool bars are usually sharks. Be careful.

British rules. (snooker) Part of the fun trying to snooker your opponent and gain two shot advantage. :D

Hope he follows this one.....

The golden rule is... if you can snooker to obtain 2 shots feel free to do so espeicially against the Bgs. :o

I hate the rules people use in Thailand too. When your opponent scratches the cue ball, you should get ONE SHOT and it should be behind the break line. That is it! All these rules they use make the game too easy. :o

That's the trouble with using British rules on an American table, it makes it too easy. American tables and balls are bigger and the pockets are also much wider, making it easier to pot the balls. British tables (which you do see occasionally in Thailand, more often out of Bangkok) are smaller and with tighter pockets, so it's more of a precision game.

Snookering in British pool would still sometimes be seen as a bit antisocial when done in a light-hearted pub game, but it is commonplace in a competitive game.

We started playing pool occasionally at one of the local snooker halls (if there are more than 4 players, snooker takes too long). We play on a full size snooker table.

As there were a number of nationalities involved (Brits, Aussies, Septics and Thais), we set up the rules between us with the result that it's a bit of a cross between how we play here and how each one of us played in our mother countries. However, it does appear to w*rk until a newcomer comes along.

Edited by jayenram

Doesnt matter what rule it is, its nearly the same and I win always anyway.

I am amazed you win anything, you have your head so far up your arse the only balls you can see are your own, and they are so tiny you would never be able to hit them with a tooth pick let alone a snooker cue :o

• Like 1

I am amazed you win anything, you have your head so far up your arse the only balls you can see are your own, and they are so tiny you would never be able to hit them with a tooth pick let alone a snooker cue :o

jealousy jealousy jealousy. many people do feel that way towards me. Not sure why, you know its not really that good being as good as me.

Rant warning.... Stcik with me on this if you can as it is a real bummer and something that always riles me.

I had a 500B bet with a german fella in Morning Night and followed the bar rules of 2 shot carry, behind the line, which i think is crap but anyway... Despite the guy snookering me by rolling the white softly up behind his ball at every chance, i smoked him and he was left with 4 balls, whilst i was on the black.

He didnt have a clear shot on and then did what i thought was a carzy thing... he potted the white intentionaly. I picked the white up, and aimed at my black which was over the pocket behind the line. I was then told that I HAD TO PLAY DOWN THE TABLE TO POT MY BLACK! I couldnt as his ball snookered my black, so i missed and GAVE HIM TWO SHOTS! He cleared up the four balls and sunk the black.

How the hel_l is that fair? I had wone the game, but lost owing to stupid Thai rules.

IMO, all bars shoud play the same rules - ball in hand. One shot on a fould, ball in hand, must hit a cushion after striking object ball.

Thai rules are horrible

• Thanks 1

Rant warning.... Stcik with me on this if you can as it is a real bummer and something that always riles me.

I had a 500B bet with a german fella in Morning Night and followed the bar rules of 2 shot carry, behind the line, which i think is crap but anyway... Despite the guy snookering me by rolling the white softly up behind his ball at every chance, i smoked him and he was left with 4 balls, whilst i was on the black.

He didnt have a clear shot on and then did what i thought was a carzy thing... he potted the white intentionaly. I picked the white up, and aimed at my black which was over the pocket behind the line. I was then told that I HAD TO PLAY DOWN THE TABLE TO POT MY BLACK! I couldnt as his ball snookered my black, so i missed and GAVE HIM TWO SHOTS! He cleared up the four balls and sunk the black.

How the hel_l is that fair? I had wone the game, but lost owing to stupid Thai rules.

IMO, all bars shoud play the same rules - ball in hand. One shot on a fould, ball in hand, must hit a cushion after striking object ball.

Thai rules are horrible

That's a prime example of where the "playing down the table" is flawed. There should never be rules in place which can encourage people to deliverately foul. Although that guy you played was very unsporting, there may (or should) be rules in place prohibiting "unsporting behaviour"...

• Like 1

Thai rules are horrible

agree 100%

while having a good game with a thai in sukumvit , the pool hall with the water running down the front.

we were playing 1000bht a game, everything pretty even, then he did exactly the same thing as above, obviosly discusted at him ruining a good set of matches i refused to play again, after that i got abuse called all sorts of names, but i tried to explain to him calmly that it was ungentlemaly behavior as he was such a good player,

and that made him even worse

be very wary of the rules in each establishment especially if gambling.

the chaps name was chai and anyone playing him beware he will let you win a few then turn it on.

the other good player in that area used to be the brother of the owner of the bamboo, can't remember his name but excellent player all the same.

• Like 1

'The brother of the owner in Bamboo'..... Yep, I remember him, quite a large chap? havent seen him in a while. I havent seen many decent players in Bamboo for a while though.

I try and avoid playing Thais if possible - I'm an ok pool player but not good enough to hustle or take it seriously, and so dont gamble to often. Pool for me is just a fun pub game where you can have a chat with your openent and maybe have a crack and take the piss a little if you know them well. The Thais seem to take it too seriously for my liking

When your opponent scratches the cue ball, you should get ONE SHOT

The Ozzies play this one shot pish.I don't like it! Surely if you foul then the other player should gain the advantage?ie 2 shots!

When a player scratches, the opponent gets the advantage because the player lost his turn and gave the ball to the opponent. That is all you should get. Any other way is too easy.

I am amazed you win anything, you have your head so far up your arse the only balls you can see are your own, and they are so tiny you would never be able to hit them with a tooth pick let alone a snooker cue :D

:o:D

Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rule one: Never play for money.

Rule two: Make your rules clear before starting a game.

If not agreed then not play with that person.

I have lot's of fun while playing by having agreed a special rule before the play starts.

I always suggest playing the most difficult shot agreed by both parties.

Yep it can take a while before you finish one game but it takes off the pressure of only wanting to win.

If player not makes the shot he/she buys a drink, otherwise it is the other party.

:o For sure and lots of fun

• 13 years later...
  • 1 year later...