Importing vitamins into Thailand, Medical License Broker

konying

Not too sure which part of the forum to post it so Mods please feel free to move if needs be.

Basically ordered some vitamins from Oz.

None are prohibited, just some multi vitamin and glucosamine powder.

On the website where i purchased it stated they post regular post, hence why i placed order with them, and also added Thai name as an addressee.

Being regular post with Thai name, i though problems would be minimal.

Payment was through paypal.

As it turns out, this idiots posted with EMS Courier and instead of address and name in Paypal, they posted to my name.

So parcel is stuck with customs.

After doing some research, i have found that apparently medical license is needed to import vitamins

SO my question is does anyone know any MEDICAL LICENSED BROKER to clear the customs? Or anyone with experience on how to clear customs?

This tends to happrn when a courier is used.

There are no "brokers" who do this sort of thing. It would take a registered pharmacy or phsrm company to import this and 1) none of them would have any reason to want to help u and 2) even if they did, they csnt coz the package is addtessed to you.

Best thing to do is go fown to vustoms yourself to clear it explaining it is kust vitamins for personnel use. While technically still not allowable, customs are not without common sense and assuming amount is small might let you have it. No guarantees. But you can be sure the courier has not made your case.

And of course don't use thid company again.

This tends to happrn when a courier is used.

There are no "brokers" who do this sort of thing. It would take a registered pharmacy or phsrm company to import this and 1) none of them would have any reason to want to help u and 2) even if they did, they csnt coz the package is addtessed to you.

Best thing to do is go fown to vustoms yourself to clear it explaining it is kust vitamins for personnel use. While technically still not allowable, customs are not without common sense and assuming amount is small might let you have it. No guarantees. But you can be sure the courier has not made your case.

And of course don't use thid company again.

Thank you, it is small but many different ones,

Like Glucosamine about 2kg.

Will give them a call tomorrow to see if can be sorted

When I went to customs after I got notice for box of legal vitamins for personal use I went down there like Sheryl suggested . It was long drive but they were very helpful and I was asked to open in front of them . I showed them the bottles that are same vitamins I use to get from Boots but we're very overpriced and they had me take to another window where they looked up each one . After that I was sent to another desk to pay the customs that was about 500 baht after I showed the receipt from where they were ordered that read about 80 dollars . From then on I just go to post office and pay duty owed ever time if order more that a few bottles or over 40 bucks in value . I think that first time was to check me out and make sure they were for personal use and all legal which they were . Go to customs and go through the procedure as they are quite helpful and then keep orders small and send regular mail .

These are a sort of paif facilitator ...mainly just stand in line for you and the like. But wont help on the issue of fda import permit which is indeed technically required.

But customs officials can and in my experience often will just ignore thay require for simple things like vitamins once face to face with you and clear it is only for your own personal use.

These are a sort of paif facilitator ...mainly just stand in line for you and the like. But wont help on the issue of fda import permit which is indeed technically required.

But customs officials can and in my experience often will just ignore thay require for simple things like vitamins once face to face with you and clear it is only for your own personal use.

Today i received notice to go collect in person, so i am assuming as other member posted, they want to see in person, get me to open it and tax me.

There are many different ones, but 1-2 bottles of each. The only large quantity they may consider it to be large is 4kg of glucosamine powder, but its for my diabled and old dogs.

Going on Thursday or Fri and will update :)

Bring plenty of reading material and also dress for hot weather as soem of these places no a/c. Beyond that, patience and polite perserverance are the key and usually win the day.

Last time I had to do this -- over a stupid mess up by a courier service for, believe it or not, nothing more than filters for a home spa -- they didn't charge me a dime once they saw what pitifully little value was involved. But I had to wait hours first in a non-a/c waiting area.

If going to the place in Bkk near the train station, also be advised that absolutely no parking anywhere near it, unless things have changed in recent years.

Bring plenty of reading material and also dress for hot weather as soem of these places no a/c. Beyond that, patience and polite perserverance are the key and usually win the day.

Last time I had to do this -- over a stupid mess up by a courier service for, believe it or not, nothing more than filters for a home spa -- they didn't charge me a dime once they saw what pitifully little value was involved. But I had to wait hours first in a non-a/c waiting area.

If going to the place in Bkk near the train station, also be advised that absolutely no parking anywhere near it, unless things have changed in recent years.

This is in Lam chebang, hopefully not as bad :)

Taking a Thai with me, might also take the disabled dog .

Last time i bought wheel chair for him from US, they wanted to tax it, but when they saw the dog and what/how wheelchair was going to be used, they let it through free of charge.

Also some vitamins are for one of my staff old mother (92 years old) might use that to get some pity, lol

OK an update for anyone wanting to buy vitamins of supplements from over seas.

Today went to Lam Chebang and really did not know what to expect.

Second floor, gave officer the paper, he asked for my passport.

I had to sign full name and passport details on the form, he made copy of passport and also sign.

Brought out the box, asked me to open it.

Another officer came along, took a look.

They asked what was in the parcel, they did not take anything out or looked themselves

What i had was 3 kg of glucosamine powder

2 bottle of multivitamin for men

1 bottle of multivitamin for women

1 bottle of multivitamin for women 50+

2 bottle of Glucosamine+MSM caps

6 Bottle of wild krill caps

2 bottles of echenacea caps

They did NOT ask what the value was.

One officer asked what it was for, so i told him for me, my staff, her mother, and the dogs, he laughed

Another officer said, next time just order less, half this box and no problem with receiving

Paid 979 tax and all done.

In and out in less than 20 mins

I will say also, all staff and officers were super friendly and helpful.

SO anyone buying, note to order small quantity. small box to avoid having to go to customs or being charges tax.

I must also add my total package was worth $300 so $30 tax is peanuts in my opinion.

Yes small packages and also regular mail rather than courier are the keys.

And, as your story demonstrates (and I learned through painful experience) , if despite best efforts a package winds up coming in by courier, do not let them process the customs clearance for you. Go in person. It will take a day but that is nothing compared to the %$#& the courier will create.

Technically the customs people could have refused to let you have the vitamins without an FDA license. But they aren't unreasonable folk and once it was evident what a small potatoes this was, no problem.

For some reason courier services here either cannot or will not achieve this sort of resolution.

Yes small packages and also regular mail rather than courier are the keys.

And, as your story demonstrates (and I learned through painful experience) , if despite best efforts a package winds up coming in by courier, do not let them process the customs clearance for you. Go in person. It will take a day but that is nothing compared to the %$#& the courier will create.

Technically the customs people could have refused to let you have the vitamins without an FDA license. But they aren't unreasonable folk and once it was evident what a small potatoes this was, no problem.

For some reason courier services here either cannot or will not achieve this sort of resolution.

I honestly did not feel they wanted to be difficult.

Officer said just to order 1 month supply and its ok even with courier service.

The problem is most on line retailers only post with EMS or alike, which i can understand, to have the proof of postage and receipt to avoid charge back and fraud.

However after spending hours on the net looking around, i discovered most retailers also have ebay shops where they do offer registered post, so if anyone looking, check out ebay.

Same shops do little higher price, but offer cheaper postage and option of registered or EMS.

Thanks for update , I have noticed that Iherb will only sent packages under 4 pounds ( not kilo's ) and value must not be over 80 dollars U.S. with receipts and proof of purchase and cost in package . This service has been so helpful getting vitamins for my personal use that would be impossible to buy locally for many reasons . When I had ShipTo service send combined orders priority the shipping costs were too high and always customs wanted to open and charge me according. The small packages monthly with slow mail and weight under 4 pounds with value with prof under $80 has been the real difference , so want to share that with others . Thanks again for update [emoji106]

Thanks for update , I have noticed that Iherb will only sent packages under 4 pounds ( not kilo's ) and value must not be over 80 dollars U.S. with receipts and proof of purchase and cost in package . This service has been so helpful getting vitamins for my personal use that would be impossible to buy locally for many reasons . When I had ShipTo service send combined orders priority the shipping costs were too high and always customs wanted to open and charge me according. The small packages monthly with slow mail and weight under 4 pounds with value with prof under $80 has been the real difference , so want to share that with others . Thanks again for update [emoji106]

It is pretty much what customs officer said, half the size i had. My parcel weigh was 5.3 kg, so 4 pounds, would be around 2kg.

In customs department they have a notice anything value over 1500 baht is subject to tax, but i guess when its such a tiny parcel they do not even bother.

Does Iherb use EMS or regular post?

Regular post and documents everything so if you make small orders for personal use its a great opportunity and I am grateful for Thai postal service and Iherb making this possibly . Going to Boots & GMC or grey market items at MBK was really challenging and big waste of money when it came to value .

Regular post and documents everything so if you make small orders for personal use its a great opportunity and I am grateful for Thai postal service and Iherb making this possibly . Going to Boots & GMC or grey market items at MBK was really challenging and big waste of money when it came to value .

Most of the stuff is NOT available in Thailand, and the ones which are usually very overpriced in comparison

My main product (do not laugh) is Glucosamine for my disabled and old dogs in powder form is NOT available at all and caps are about 3 times more expansive than any internet online store, so even with shipping, its still cheaper to order online than to buy in Thailand.

A] EMS typically IS the regular post for worldwide mail from a country's post office by contract with that nation

B] I order all the time from USA various sites and at worst have had to pay a customs duty

C] Did you go to post office and ask or just call or letter?

If need more of my help, please pm as I am not following the thread,

A] EMS typically IS the regular post for worldwide mail from a country's post office by contract with that nation

B] I order all the time from USA various sites and at worst have had to pay a customs duty

C] Did you go to post office and ask or just call or letter?

If need more of my help, please pm as I am not following the thread,

EMS is not a regular service its an express courier.

I received letter from customs to go collect.

Nothing from the post office,

Days after parcel is received, post tracking shows "in transit" i am guessing it will stay this way, because different channels

Initially i did not know what to expect, so did some googling and found a thread on <URL Automatically Removed> forum.

Someone there claimed he had to use an agent to get it out, so this is why i did the post.

Now i have learned, its not a big drama, just need to pay taxes, but as advised by customs officer, next time to order small, ie 2 kg and they will not even bother stopping it.

My box was 5 kg, not heavy but big in size.

• 1 month later...

FOR YOUR EDIFICATION ALL:

I've ordered vitamins many times for the 10 years I've lived in the Chiang Mai area, usually from Puritan Pride in the states. The first ones were very large, $600 or more, no problems, sometimes a customs fee. About a year ago, though, customs seized a $900 order and accused me of dealing. They were going to confiscate the whole thing, but my Thai wife managed to talk them into taking only 1/3. 1-2 orders since, smaller of course, no problems. Avoid large boxes.

But this month I needed some selenium / vitamin E / vitamin C for prostate and sinus troubles. I can't maintain good health without quite a few vitamins and minerals at my age, 67. Well, Puritan and others I see no longer ship to Thailand as of about a few months ago because my last order was about January. I don't know why, but can guess. So, I ordered from Swanson, as good or better a bargain and also same shipping route from the states to Germany then to Thailand via DHL. Well, dang, only a small order, about $120, but they have it stuck in customs again at the airport. So, Monday will take my passport, passport copy, copy of order, and my stepson to help explain it for me.

I'll let you all know how this turns out.

post-76656-0-12783500-1445686930_thumb.p

I've ordered vitamins many times for the 10 years I've lived in the Chiang Mai area, usually from Puritan Pride in the states. The first ones were very large, $600 or more, no problems, sometimes a customs fee. About a year ago, though, customs seized a $900 order and accused me of dealing. They were going to confiscate the whole thing, but my Thai wife managed to talk them into taking only 1/3. 1-2 orders since, smaller of course, no problems. Avoid large boxes.

But this month I needed some selenium / vitamin E / vitamin C for prostate and sinus troubles. I can't maintain good health without quite a few vitamins and minerals at my age, 67. Well, Puritan and others I see no longer ship to Thailand as of about a few months ago because my last order was about January. I don't know why, but can guess. So, I ordered from Swanson, as good or better a bargain and also same shipping route from the states to Germany then to Thailand via DHL. Well, dang, only a small order, about $120, but they have it stuck in customs again at the airport. So, Monday will take my passport, passport copy, copy of order, and my stepson to help explain it for me.

To make it easier for yourself, as you clearly did not understand what customs told me is that its NOT about how much but the size of the parcel

So instead of 10 items, order only 4-5 and again DO NOT use couriers or any kind, it is guaranteed to be stopped,

Look at your order, you have 16 bottles, they consider it a commercial quantity.

Understand saving on shipping costs, but what can do you?!

PS. Puritan has Thai site http://www.puritanpridestore.com/

Also see this site http://www.winkystar.com/

To make it easier for yourself, as you clearly did not understand what customs told me is that its NOT about how much but the size of the parcel

So instead of 10 items, order only 4-5 and again DO NOT use couriers or any kind, it is guaranteed to be stopped,

Look at your order, you have 16 bottles, they consider it a commercial quantity.

Yes, Puritans has a Thai site, but it's all in Thai which I can't read and the prices are not that attractive. As I mentioned, I've made orders much larger than this 1-3 times a year for ten years from Puritans and no problems. Meanwhile, Puritan no longer ships to Thailand by mail order. Yes, when I got there, FDA banned the shipment as medicine, which it is not, none of the items are on the restricted list, but the selenium seemed to be what they didn't like. So, certainly times are changing and this why Puritan does not ship anymore to Thailand. Yes, I can make smaller orders, but this wasn't large, $127 and a 3.3kg box about 10 inches square, and I'd have to order once a month to keep up. Remember, these are for my wife as well, and I need sizeable amounts for optimum health. One thing that seemed to be a problem with Puritan as well is that the 4 bottles of selenium were broken down into 8 bottles of half the number of caps. Anything over 4 bottles they don't seem to like, so if I'm going to risk it again, I'll make a phone order and try to ensure that the size bottles ordered are the same as shipped. Two other fellas were in there with larger boxes and passed, one with a single jar of glucosamine of about 1kg. This is for the benefit of others, I don't need any advice, but thanks. I might add that one of these ingredients instantly cured a tinea infection that I suffered with for 46 years, but that's a bit off topic.

Yes, Puritans has a Thai site, but it's all in Thai which I can't read and the prices are not that attractive. As I mentioned, I've made orders much larger than this 1-3 times a year for ten years from Puritans and no problems. Meanwhile, Puritan no longer ships to Thailand by mail order. Yes, when I got there, FDA banned the shipment as medicine, which it is not, none of the items are on the restricted list, but the selenium seemed to be what they didn't like. So, certainly times are changing and this why Puritan does not ship anymore to Thailand. Yes, I can make smaller orders, but this wasn't large, $127 and a 3.3kg box about 10 inches square, and I'd have to order once a month to keep up. Remember, these are for my wife as well, and I need sizeable amounts for optimum health. One thing that seemed to be a problem with Puritan as well is that the 4 bottles of selenium were broken down into 8 bottles of half the number of caps. Anything over 4 bottles they don't seem to like, so if I'm going to risk it again, I'll make a phone order and try to ensure that the size bottles ordered are the same as shipped. Two other fellas were in there with larger boxes and passed, one with a single jar of glucosamine of about 1kg. This is for the benefit of others, I don't need any advice, but thanks. I might add that one of these ingredients instantly cured a tinea infection that I suffered with for 46 years, but that's a bit off topic.

I do not need explanation or justification , I told you what I was told by customs and have not had a problem since.

If you want to risk it, it's up to you. As long as you realise one day they may get nasty and take more action providing you already on their system.

You still failing to understand it's not the value of money declared but number of items. You have 16 bottles , it is commercial quantity.

Import of vitamins is on restricted list in Thailand . It makes no difference what you think, it is what customs think that matters.

As I said , you can keep doing what you do or you can smarten up and avoid further hassles at slightly higher prices

Vitamins and minerals are considered pharmaceuticals and import of pharmaceuticals by mail is not allowed unless you have an FDA license, which you cannot get. That is all pharmaceuticals, not just those that are controlled substances.

By law, customs is fully within their rights to refuse to allow in any amount of any pharmaceutical, inclusive of vitamins/minerals.

In practice they are usually willing to overlook small quantities that are obviously for personal use. "Small" and "obviously for personal use" being the operative words.

Also this site using the first shipping option http://www.healthdesigns.com/international

And this site which is in Thailand and offers Kirkland brand among others:

http://swansonthailand.net/kirkland-vitamins/

Thanks, these definitely look like they're worth a look, especially the Swanson one. I tend to think that both the Puritan and Swanson Thai outlets are not official outlets for the US companies, not that it makes a lot of difference, but I see English on the Swanson one so I will take a good look. Thanks again. Thailand is a bit odd sometimes, but worth the trouble if you're careful.

Also this site using the first shipping option http://www.healthdesigns.com/international

And this site which is in Thailand and offers Kirkland brand among others:

http://swansonthailand.net/kirkland-vitamins/

WOW, am going to comment again on this. The Swanson site seems to have everything, it is in Thailand so NO trouble with customs, I assume? The prices are higher than the states but not very much, probably no higher if factoring in customs fee plus VAT. The only problem maybe is that there's no shopping cart, I assume you have to order via phone and/or email, but that isn't any real problem at all. EVERYBODY, take NOTE of this, there may be no need to order out of the country. Thank you sir!

Archived