More than 900,000 Brits visit Thailand even though it's regarded as dangerous

webfact

Bangkok explosion:

More than 900,000 Brits visit Thailand even though it's regarded as dangerous
Last year backpackers Hannah Witheridge and David Miller were murdered on the Thai island of Koh Tao

LONDON: -- Brits make over 900,000 visits to Thailand each year – but is regarded as one of the most dangerous of tourist destinations.

Last year backpackers Hannah Witheridge and David Miller were murdered on the Thai island of Koh Tao.

And this latest incident further shows some of the dangers within the Far Eastern country.

Figures released by the British government showed that between 2011 and 2012 there were 296 British deaths in Thailand.

In the 12 months up to April 1, 2013 there were 389 British deaths.

While in the same period up to April 2014 there were 362 deaths and 267 Brits taken to hospital.

Full story: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/bangkok-explosion-more-900000-brits-6270387

-- Mirror 2015-08-18

There will always be a disproportionate number of deaths in a place where people go to retire and live out the rest of their lives until completion.

That said the murders and now bombs are a national f*%*%*g disgrace.

There will always be a disproportionate number of deaths in a place where people go to retire and live out the rest of their lives until completion.

That said the murders and now bombs are a national f*%*%*g disgrace.

I'm sure that's part of it, but if I am not mistaken, road accidents are a large part of this. As we all know, it's a dangerous country to rent a scooter for your first time.

I doubt Thailand is perceived as being any more dangerous than other "exotic" tourist locations.

By whom travellers or the UK Govt ?

Because the FCO have always stipulated and updated their travel advise for Thailand and openly displayed the dangers wether that be Political unrest,Muslim Insurgents in the South or the danger of being involved in a road accident.

While I agree from a travellers perspective it seems no more dangerous than most exotic countries,the list is starting to become slightly more worrying now with the addition of The Kho Tao murders and now indiscriminate bombings in the nations capital.

It is certainly going to put some people off that's for certain,which is a shame because as you and I know it generally was a safe enough place to come to.

I think its the Daily Mirror that is running a story line today about the dark side of Thailand the murders rapes mafia usual stuff I am sure this will make first time visitors think twice about visiting Thailand but wont put off the seasoned visitors to Thailand because we know all the dark side already.

The newspaper article is very sensationalist and misleading. It appears to link the bomb in Bangkok with all the deaths of UK citizens in Thailand. There are plenty of other reasons for these deaths like, for example, drowning, road traffic accidents, suicides and being killed by xenophobic locals. Having said that. None of this happens in places like Weston-Super-Mare or Bournemouth. A more complete analysis of causes of death would give a fairer picture of the dangers of holidaying in Thailand. That would be far more useful to the potential traveler than the article in the Mirror and don't forget, it wasn't so long ago that the UK had bombs going off in it's major cities.

Having said all that I have to add that Thailand should be doing a lot more to make the country a safer place for all.

Please tell me some where in the world that is safe.

Exactly, my home town (Warrington) was bombed twice in a few days by the IRA & I was in London when the tube bombings happened then there was the East India quay & Arndale Centre bombings.

So you can't say that the UK is exactly "Safe", if anything it's much higher on the nutters "to blow" list than Thailand.

Edited by JB300

It may seem dangerous here if the tourist's home is a leafy quaint village in the UK. But if they lived in the sink-estates and slums of the big UK cities, they will probably find Thailand to be comparatively much safer in terms of less street robberies, burglaries, and random drunken violence. I was the victim of many burglaries and street-robberies in a big UK city, but I leave my front door unlocked in Thailand and I feel safe walking around most areas daytime, with money and passport etc. in my shoulderbag. Thai people have shown me a lot of kindness and friendship, for decades, and not once have I been the victim of a crime here. I can not say the same of the UK, sadly.

Bangkok and Thailand is not unsafer like London or somewhere else in the world!!! Why writing such bullshit here!?

If you want a safe Place just stay home in your room and wait for For your Death there! Always writing bad things is a common issue in the whole world!

Bangkok and Thailand is not unsafer like London or somewhere else in the world!!!

Do you care to qualify that with actual numbers? Of course, it's kind of impossible given the shoddy record keeping and detective work here. But I'm just curious how you make such a statement outside of 'bad things happen in London, bad things happen in Bangkok, therefore same same.'

The likelihood of death via accident or violence is unlikely to be equal in both places.. Whether it is more or less of a chance to happen in BKK, I am not certain, but I'd be willing to bet things are a wheeee bit more dangerous in a place with little law enforcement.

Singapore!? Hahaha there you can get killed when smoking a Joint, or get in jail when smoking or chewing a Gum ! There is no safe Place in the world ! Its just a matter of Time there to happen such things like in BKK!

Please tell me some where in the world that is safe.

Singapore

Even Singapore has its problems (we had a riot when an Indian migrant worker got run over/killed less than 1km away from my condo) & on any trip on the MRT you'll see the videos about needing to be vigilant about unattended bags etc...

But Crimewatch there will only show the theft of a bicycle or O$P$ money lender graffiti type stuff (my favorite one was the "Major Car Ringing Gang" who managed to steal 3 cars [emoji15]) this despite the fact that I know a bus driver had his head caved in by a spanner (you simply don't carry guns or knives in Singapore unless you want to do serious time behind bars) as my Ms was in the bus at the time.

The press always make the public paranoid about any terror bombs.muggings drug dealers .gangs and even wearing a seat belt. Bad things happen !!! its part of life . LIVE LIFE TO THE FULL .LET EVERYONE ELSE DO THE WORRYING, F*** THE TERRORISTS THE MUGGERS AND THE SEAT BELTS

I doubt Thailand is perceived as being any more dangerous than other "exotic" tourist locations.

By whom travellers or the UK Govt ?

Because the FCO have always stipulated and updated their travel advise for Thailand and openly displayed the dangers wether that be Political unrest,Muslim Insurgents in the South or the danger of being involved in a road accident.

While I agree from a travellers perspective it seems no more dangerous than most exotic countries,the list is starting to become slightly more worrying now with the addition of The Kho Tao murders and now indiscriminate bombings in the nations capital.

It is certainly going to put some people off that's for certain,which is a shame because as you and I know it generally was a safe enough place to come to.

The number of deaths and injuries needs contextualizing. But that is probably beyond the capabilities of anyone at the Mirror.

How many were expats living here, due to natural causes, due to accidents etc.

Greece and the Greek Islands used to be the place where Brits were famed for renting scooters and getting injured when they crashed them. Knew a lot of tour reps their and they said most were either very inexperienced or some had never ridden before.

Spain - fights, stabbings, muggings at one time, ETA bombs, etc

Caribbean - murders, rapes and robbery.

Egypt - bombs and shootings

Philippines - shootings, robbery, terrorists,

Africa and the Middle East - numerous issues.

The FCO website offers advice on all countries for Brits who are considering visiting them. Some is good, some out of date.

I personally do not consider Thailand to one of the most dangerous, not even close. But each makes their own judgement.

I think its the Daily Mirror that is running a story line today about the dark side of Thailand the murders rapes mafia usual stuff I am sure this will make first time visitors think twice about visiting Thailand but wont put off the seasoned visitors to Thailand because we know all the dark side already.

I seriously doubt many people who read the Daily Mirror are the type of people who holiday in Thailand or anywhere similar Jim.

The Daily Mirror used to be good for wrapping fish and chips, not much else.

Australia is a very safe destination but its also very expensive.

I suppose you get what you pay for.

Cheap tourist destinations like Tunisia,Philippines and Thailand seem to attract trouble.

Australia safe - as long as you stay away from city and town centers when it's piss head night out. And avoid the King Punchers and wannabee brawlers.

Go to YouTube and see what a lovely safe place it can be.

UK and USA have same issues.

And all 3 are terrorist targets, although something new for Australia,

Edited by Baerboxer