Aussie Jimmy Barnes and family narrowly escape Bangkok blast

webfact

Jimmy Barnes and family narrowly escape Bangkok blast

SYDNEY: -- A last-minute decision to take a different route to dinner in Bangkok may have saved the lives of Jimmy Barnes and family members overnight.

Barnes and his Thai-Australian wife Jane had been holidaying in Hua Hin and were spending a few days in the Thai capital before heading home, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.

Last night the singer, his wife, daughter Elly-May, son-in-law Liam, grandson Dylan, and Australian journalist Alan Parkhouse met at an upmarket Bangkok hotel before setting off on foot for dinner at the Intercontinental.

Were you in Bangkok at the time of the blast? Let us know by emailing [email protected]

As the group left they discussed the best way of reaching the Chinese restaurant at the five-star hotel where they had a booking.

"Jimmy, Jane and I tossed up whether to walk on the footpath past the popular religious shrine on the corner, which was always crowded with worshippers and tourists, and then across the road," Fairfax journalist Parkhouse wrote.

Full story: http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/08/18/06/17/jimmy-barnes-narrowly-escaped-bangkok-bomb-blast

-- 9NEWS 2015-08-18

It is highly relevant and goes to the heart of the problem: bombs do not discriminate and it is central to the intentions of those responsible to make people feel unsafe. Wicked in intent, devastating in its consequences.

Comments on moderation, including the news team are not tolerated. This thread is about a person and his family and the bomb blast. You are not required to read it if your not interested and you are not required to post. Troll posts will not be tolerated and suspensions will be given.

If you have comments about the news, news sources or the news team, you can contact [email protected] .

And who is this Jimmy Barnes anyhow.

Jimmy Barnes is one of Australia's best known singers, with band Cold Chisel in the 70's and 80's and then solo career from then on, married to his Thai wife for around 30 years, probably not so well known outside of Oz, but a national treasure/icon inside the country.

Jimmy Barnes is NOT an Aussie. He's an obnoxious Scotsman who fled Australia to live in France to avoid paying tax ... and basically told Australia to "Go <deleted>$# itself" Later..he crawled back with his tail between his legs.

bah.gif

Jimmy Barnes was born April, 28 1956 in Glasgow, Scotland. His original name was 'James Dixon Swan'. Great Aussie icon.

meh, we're a land of immigrants. He's still an Aussie icon.

Edited by moojar

Narrowly escape? What about the people that were actually walking towards the bomb when it went off? The fact that some minor celebrity was undecided about which way and at what time him and his family would go to dinner is hardly a narrow escape. Mind you, if I was desperate to be in the limelight to sell a few CDs or MP3s, maybe I would tell you about the time that I was nearly involved in ...........etc, etc.

Narrowly escape? What about the people that were actually walking towards the bomb when it went off? The fact that some minor celebrity was undecided about which way and at what time him and his family would go to dinner is hardly a narrow escape. Mind you, if I was desperate to be in the limelight to sell a few CDs or MP3s, maybe I would tell you about the time that I was nearly involved in ...........etc, etc.

I think it's more a case of he happened to be with a newspaper reporter. The reporter filed it as one of those 'human angle' stories to accompany the main item (about the blast).

Barnsey is forever making comebacks, never does too well.

Edited by moojar

Unlike some of the people on this forum I am a long time Cold Chisel fan who is glad Jimmy and his family are safe.

Was saddened to hear of the many people who were not so lucky, condolences to their family and friends.

Unlike some of the people on this forum I am a long time Cold Chisel fan who is glad Jimmy and his family are safe.

Was saddened to hear of the many people who were not so lucky, condolences to their family and friends.

I actually like Cold Chisel...but Barnsey is still a prick.

Barnsy ,wether you like his music or not or the fact he doesn't want his music associated with the Reclaim Australia political movement , has contributed a lot to all the Thai / Aussie community being quite involved in contributing to the Wat down near Mittagong and speaking out against stupid bigotry when it rears its ugly head , and in some ways making Aussie and Thai marriages more " respectable" to a deeply ingrained conservative society such as Australia. You have my respect for that . Good onya Jimmy.

Barnsy ,wether you like his music or not or the fact he doesn't want his music associated with the Reclaim Australia political movement , has contributed a lot to all the Thai / Aussie community being quite involved in contributing to the Wat down near Mittagong and speaking out against stupid bigotry when it rears its ugly head , and in some ways making Aussie and Thai marriages more " respectable" to a deeply ingrained conservative society such as Australia. You have my respect for that . Good onya Jimmy.

Yeah..Good on you Jimmy. You're a champion butt kisser when it suits your purposes. But I still can't forgive you for fleeing Oz to France to escape paying taxes and saying a few disparaging things about Australia. Yeah, yeah ... you thought you wouldn't be back when you rubbished Oz ... but you are back now ... and I and others remember. You're low class Jimmy. Go back to France.

Yeah..Good on you Jimmy. You're a champion butt kisser when it suits your purposes. But I still can't forgive you for fleeing Oz to France to escape paying taxes and saying a few disparaging things about Australia. Yeah, yeah ... you thought you wouldn't be back when you rubbished Oz ... but you are back now ... and I and others remember. You're low class Jimmy. Go back to France.

good to see you have put it behind you.

Not any more he isn't and most headlines would have been fairly short if he had been blown up... just sayin'

Oz

Another <deleted>, you f......samurai. Go get a life. Just what is the purpose/aim of your comment? Lost for companionship. Not surprised.

Geez Norm, don't hold back mate let it all out now, feel better? He has been picking and choosing his sides, mostly against Australia, when it suits him for years now, not a bloke I'd want fighting beside me in a trench if it came to it. As to your comment you didn't make one... get it?

Oz

I am glad they took another route! Barnesy was on Oz TV this morning taking a selfie with the bomb site in the background....Poor choice Jimmy!

I'm also glad he was ok and sad for those who were not.

I hope with hindsight he will realize that the 'selfie' was in the poorest taste, especially for a public figure.

He is bringing out a new CD. So in a slightly unusual move, Jimmy Barnes Best of the Soul Years album (through Liberation Music) is being released a week earlier than planned, and will now see the light of day this Friday 14 August (previously 21 August).