Sound proofing an existing door

mr3cho

Greetings,

The office we rented is a residential townhome with traditional wood doors. We have several employees that sit in front or near a common restroom. The door to the restroom has slits and basically every little sounds comes through the door. I would like to buy a new door and possibly sound proof it so that people can attend to their business in peace.

Any suggestions on what kind of door and added sound proofing that I can purchase from HomePro?

THank you.

post-124954-0-96573600-1439872569_thumb.

Hopefully this residential bathroom has other forms of ventilation beside the slatted door.

As IMHO suggests, a solid core door.

Could also add foam pad or wool felt to where the door makes contact with the jamb preclude it also being a sound transmission path.

In addition, most Thais just run water into a bucket to cover the noise they might make.

The western equivalent would be to add a noisy exhaust fan to produce the necessary 'white noise'.

Glue a load of these on the door.

They work eggtremely well.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1440587563.702495.jpg

I tried to sound proof a bed room that way when I had aspirations of being a rock star so I could practice guitar at loud volume, still got smacked around the head by my old fella for making a noise at 3 in the morning LOL

In the late '80s our IT department commandeered the building's former breakroom to use as the common space for our IT manager, 2 programmers, and me (the do everything else guy).

The original room was tiled floor with wood panel walls that had been painted over at lease 4 times. So when we fired up the HP3000 Hard Drives, Vacuum-assist Tape Drives, and High-Speed production Line Printers, the noise would bounce between the walls and the floor. I liked it. The Programmers and the IT Manager, however...

Our IT manager had the bright idea of having me cover the walls with few thousand dollars worth of noise-reduction foam wall covering (egg-carton style like that used in recording studios) and carpet some of the floor.

It may have helped. I only remember that the room was a LOT warmer with those stupid black pieced of foam on the wall.

We had better luck after we purchased sound enclosure cabinets for the High Speed Line Printers.

Years later I worked in as an engineer in an AM/FM Broadcast Studio. 300lb solid wood doors with 1ft thick air-gap glass windows connecting all the studios. Old school.