have wifi connection but want standard access to LAN

jumbo

Hi

I am somewhat of a layman in this area..

I have a wifi connection in my appartment, but also have a cable to access as LAN

I understand LAN makes the access to internet somewhat faster

Now when I open up the laptop it auto connects to the wifi and change manually to LAN

Question is how can I set it to auto connect to LAN at start-up?

thanks

no, ETHERNET won't make your access to the internet faster, unless your internet speed is higher than the wifi throughput - very very highly unlikely in Thailand, unless your wifi connection is really very very bad.

besides, using normal settings on your wifi router, a wifi connection also makes that client a member in the LAN - a cable connection is not necessary to be in the LAN.

if both ETHERNET and WIFI adapters are active on your computer, chances are that both network adapters (Ethernet and WIFI) are in the LAN, with 2 different IP addresses.

Edited by manarak

Thanks Manarak, forgot to mention currently in China and wifi sucks and router a long way from the laptop

So I bought a cable to connect router and laptop directly, and it is faster, the wife can watch her daily thai soaps now,

thinking it is called a lan connection, maybe I am wrong...please correct me

However my problem still is that standard it connects to wifi, than I have to close wifi and it will auto connect to lan

I just want the laptop on start up to connect to lan... you have a solution for that?

Bit of a layman is this work and i don really understand what you are trying to tell me..

You need to go into Device Manager and disable the wifi. You don't say which OS you have so try this. At your start menu, type Device Manager and see if you don't get an icon for it above you can click on. If you do, do that and then open Network Adapters. Identify which is your WiFi (it should say) and open that. Now disable it and reboot and see if you aren't golden.

If you can't get the start menu or something else doesn't work, Device Manager should be in Control Panel, clearly labeled. The Control Panel icon is on my desktop but I don't know what you have.

Cheers.

Many laptops have a button to easily turn the wifi on and off. Mine does.

On most modern laptops it's a combination of "Fn" and a similar coloured key with a Wifi logon on it (On a Dell XPS it's Fn+F2, but varies according to model).

some wifi cards are limited to 150 mbps.... so an Ethernet connection (direct to the modem by LAN Line) would indeed be faster. You can check under Network and Sharing Center (windows 7). Look for Adapter settings. There is one for LAN and one for wifi. LAN adapter will say network cable is unplugged....meaning...plug it in. Then disable the wifi adapter...using either a switch on the laptop or right click on the wireless connection and select disconnect.

- In Windows 7, click Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings.

2. Right-click on the wireless network connection and choose Disable.

http://its.uiowa.edu/support/article/1464

(easy to reproduce on my W7)

Windows 8:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1653137/turn-windows.html

(I don't have W8, so not reproduced)

Edited by KhunBENQ

some wifi cards are limited to 150 mbps.... so an Ethernet connection (direct to the modem by LAN Line) would indeed be faster. You can check under Network and Sharing Center (windows 7). Look for Adapter settings. There is one for LAN and one for wifi. LAN adapter will say network cable is unplugged....meaning...plug it in. Then disable the wifi adapter...using either a switch on the laptop or right click on the wireless connection and select disconnect.

faster to the router... but OP says he wants to access the internet and I bet his internet connection is much slower than 150 mbps