Makro Membership Card !

Farang two dot zero

Point of info.. You do not need a Makro card to shop at their stores. The only benefit I have seen from their card is if you own a business and say drop 60k per month they will give you about a 1.5 percent extra discount. Just saying.

Actually thinking back I've turned up before with a trolley full of goods without the card and of course they let me through,why wouldn't they.

They don't shoot themselves in the foot for no one not even farang.

Edited by stoneyboy

Point of info.. You do not need a Makro card to shop at their stores. The only benefit I have seen from their card is if you own a business and say drop 60k per month they will give you about a 1.5 percent extra discount. Just saying.

Actually thinking back I've turned up before with a trolley full of goods without the card and of course they let me through,why wouldn't they.

They don't shoot themselves in the foot for no one not even farang.

There is a membership store only in the US, for which you need a card ( Costco ). No card, no shopping.

But with Makro, it is true...you don't need a membership card to go shopping their. As Khwaibah correctly stated, it is only if you do big volume shopping. The discount also applies for certain items as well. I think you need to buy at least 30k of eligible products to get 1.5% discount...this in then tiered up to a maximum of 3% I think.

That depends on which shop you use. Many shops have membership bar codes a the tills and just scan those if you don't have a card, but not all shops operate like this. At our local Makro shop you do need a card, but you can get a day card at the service counter if you don't have your own permanent card. Without either a permanent card or a day card you will not be allowed to shop.

Sophon

Here in Ubon I got it instantly. They printed it out right on the spot...that was two years ago.

Because they knew you're a big shot....aehhh customer.

Got our card in Sisaket also immediately, I don't see much use in it, only when we buy fresh meat. Nothing else is cheaper.

I think it was a little different many years ago and more items could be purchased a little cheaper

Time for a new motorcycle chapter. The Makro Riders Ubon Ratchathani......thumbsup.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

I got the card straight away in Bangkok, however I don't own a business so I've no idea why they let me have one - I thought cash and carry was for business customers only. Once I forgot my card, they still let me shop. I didn't know there was a discount for people spending 60k+, I never spend that much!

About two weeks is correct, if they keep stalling you ask to be taken to the office, one of them will go instead and usually come back with your card. Advisable to use it fairly frequently, if it is not used for more than two months it could be cancelled. They cancelled mine for that reason and were reluctant to renew it...Thinking on my feet....I immediately told that my wife used her card all the time when shopping here but now we are separated so I will be using my own card from now on...the boss lady gave a nod of approval to her underling after giving the situation some thought, and the wheels were set in motion.

"I didn't get to where I am today by not being able to think on my feet" (remember who that was?).

P.S. I often wonder if getting the card was worth all the bother when you compare prices with the regular shopping mall prices.

With regard to cards..I tried to pay my bill with a Bangkok Bank debit card for my goods at Makro on Sukhumvit Rd Pattaya....No chance...it is obscene that Makro do not accept ANY payment by card.........UNLESS. ...It is a Citibank card....that's what I call working with your customers for ease of payment......NOT!!!!

Obviously someone at the top in Citibank has slipped a few Vanilla Envelopes side ways to get this monopoly for payment at the check outs! Or do Citibank own Makro?

With regard to cards..I tried to pay my bill with a Bangkok Bank debit card for my goods at Makro on Sukhumvit Rd Pattaya....No chance...it is obscene that Makro do not accept ANY payment by card.........UNLESS. ...It is a Citibank card....that's what I call working with your customers for ease of payment......NOT!!!!

Obviously someone at the top in Citibank has slipped a few Vanilla Envelopes side ways to get this monopoly for payment at the check outs! Or do Citibank own Makro?

Citi has connections, discounts, promotions, etc with many outlets in Thailand. It's called capitalism. Of course, the businesses would be expected to share in the benefits of such an arrangement. Only in the mind of a farang could such an arrangement assumed to be based on envelopes under the table.

There's a list here of over 750 businesses with promotions connected to using Citi in Thailand. Do you suppose someone is running around slipping money under the table with them all?

https://www.citiworldprivileges.com/th/offer-types/4/dining/

Here in Ubon I got it instantly. They printed it out right on the spot...that was two years ago.

Got our card in Sisaket also immediately, I don't see much use in it, only when we buy fresh meat. Nothing else is cheaper.

I think it was a little different many years ago and more items could be purchased a little cheaper

Time for a new motorcycle chapter. The Makro Riders Ubon Ratchathani......thumbsup.gif

LostinIssan

Tarik"s Virago is now going very very cheap if you fancy being a President or Men of Mayhem?

LostinIssan

Tarik"s Virago is now going very very cheap if you fancy being a President or Men of Mayhem?

Thanks mate. Still got my "Sisaket Riders" colors. But the moped should have a little book, if you know what I mean. 1%. thumbsup.gif

Nope. Seems that Makro owns Citibank.-facepalm.gif

Only in the mind of a Farang?

You obviously have no experience or knowledge of how business is done in Thailand...Of course Citi along with many businesses offer promotions and discounts for using their products and services...You seem to have missed the point ......MONOPOLY.....Citibank is the ONLY card allowed to be used for payment...otherwise you better have enough cash on you,or you will be leaving all the purchases at the checkout and leaving the store empty handed.

Golly Gee ! I wonder why it's called Makro Cash & Carry ?

Only in the mind of a Farang?

You obviously have no experience or knowledge of how business is done in Thailand...Of course Citi along with many businesses offer promotions and discounts for using their products and services...You seem to have missed the point ......MONOPOLY.....Citibank is the ONLY card allowed to be used for payment...otherwise you better have enough cash on you,or you will be leaving all the purchases at the checkout and leaving the store empty handed.

"otherwise you better have enough cash on you,or you will be leaving all the purchases at the checkout and leaving the store empty handed".

I wonder why there's always 3 or 4 ATM's outside the front door of every Makro ?

If you have no card the person in the queue behind you is usually happy to let you use theirs. More brownie points for them.

That's true. Once a lady in front of me couldn't find her card so I offered her mine to borrow. After the checkout girl had zapped it the lady quickly put it in her purse. It took some getting back. Never again.