Moving:Malaysia to Thailand

Moving to Thailand: I ask for the benefit of your expertise. A bit long: request forbearance.

Here is the situation. I am a 73 year old American. I do not work nor intend to. My wife is a Thai national. We now live on Langkawi Island (Malaysia). We intend to buy and live in a new, small house (freehold) near Krabi. I also intend to deposit 400,000 B in a Thai bank account under my name only.

So I anticipate several sets of issues: 1) Real Estate 2) Visa for me 3) Moving household goods 4) Tidying-up my affairs in Malaysia.

1) Real Estate. I am aware that I cannot directly own property in Thailand, and that, in effect, I am buying my wife a house. That is fine. What are the main pitfalls of buying property in Thailand? Should we have a lawyer? How do we check for a clear title? How do we insure that there no encumbrances/liens?

2) What type of visa is best for me? What will be the requirements before, and long-term? My wife, a business woman, maintains that it is not as complicated as it seems, and that once the money has been there a couple of months everything can be done in Bangkok very quickly. True? In the interim, we will go between Krabi and Langkawi, and thus I can get 30 day visa at Satun whenever I need. Good plan or not?

3) Moving household goods. We will leave all furniture in Malaysia. What companies might do the move for us? My wife says we can do most of it ourselves, but I am not too sure. Advisable or not? How do we deal with Thai Customs at the Satun/Tammalang ferry terminal? Are they helpful or obstructive? Any advice on incentives for easing the difficulties? I was a sailor for a very long time and therefore have many tools, power and hand: Problem? Electronic components (my hobby): Problem? Paints and volatiles remain in Malaysia. Other difficulties? Should I sell my motorcycle (150cc) here or try to bring it?

4) Tidying-up. I will need to cancel my Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) visa in order free the fixed deposit account for transfer. Out of your area, I know. But does anyone know of a fast, easy way of doing that?

(2) It would be best to get a single entry non-o visa based upon before traveling to Thailand that will give you a 90 day entry. You can get one in Penang without a problem. Then you would apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration in Krabi during the last 30 days of your entry. The 400k baht would need to be in the bank for 2 months on the date you apply for the extension.

You could do a conversion to get a 90 day non immigrant visa at immigration in Bangkok but it takes 2 trips 15 days apart to get it . You wold need to show the 400k baht in the bank on the date you apply. You would then need to apply for the extension in Krabi.

Edit: (1) Do a topic in the Real Estate, housing, house and land ownership forum.

(3) & (4) You shoud do a topic here for them: Jobs, economy, banking, business, investments

• Like 1

Moving ....

1. Be prepared to pay a tax on everything (new and old) you ship into Thailand via a logistics company.

2. Refuse to give up your passport to any logistic agent. Get a certified copy from your embassy. The Thai Customs has to recognize it (I think) Check with your embassy.

3. Examine carefully ALL the logistic services you agree to pay for and question everything as to what that charge means.

When I first moved to Thailand I gave my passport to the local logistics agent clearing my personal effects through customs. They charged me 15,000 Baht for a service they did not provide. I refused to pay for it. They refused to return my passport. I won the 60 day battle at the end but it was a real learning curve in my welcome to Thailand.

Edited by razer

Moving ....

1. Be prepared to pay a tax on everything (new and old) you ship into Thailand via a logistics company.

2. Refuse to give up your passport to any logistic agent. Get a certified copy from your embassy. The Thai Customs has to recognize it (I think) Check with your embassy.

3. Examine carefully ALL the logistic services you agree to pay for and question everything as to what that charge means.

When I first moved to Thailand I gave my passport to the local logistics agent clearing my personal effects through customs. They charged me 15,000 Baht for a service they did not provide. I refused to pay for it. They refused to return my passport. I won the 60 day battle at the end but it was a real learning curve in my welcome to Thailand.

I agree not to give up your passport.

Our experience was different. We shipped a lot of goods, including fairly new white goods, TV, beds etc from the Middle East. My wife went to the customs clearance with the removals people. We never paid anything. It was several years ago and I don't remember the detail but I do remember, having expected to pay and having heard "horror" stories, being very surprised at how quick the clearance was and not having any tax duty to pay.

Always best to prepare for the worst scenario but we were pleasantly surprised. My wife is also a Thai national, and I think that makes a difference if they go in person rather than leaving to an agent or a farang attending.

For removal companies / shippers I would always get two or three quotes. But pick the one that seems the most professional as well as going on price. I used the same company to move from UK to UAE and then UAE to Thailand.

Given your circumstances you might consider retirement rather than marriage for your extension of stay permission application. 800k in the bank versus 400k (can be income or combination) but considerably less paperwork and only one visit usually rather than the two required for marriage.

Good luck, hope everything goes smooth for you and enjoy Thailand.

• Like 1

I highly recommend Allied Pickfords who have been moving for ex-pats that I know for many years without incident and a first rate service. They can handle all the customs paperwork etc. They also sponsor our Rotary Club Charity Event "Coins on Silom" which takes place every year. This year on 30th October.

Contacts are Mike Ellis or Guy Ellis

Allied Pickfords Thailand
50/808 Moo 3 Soi La Salle 34
Sukhumvit 105, Bangna
Bangkok, 10260
Thailand
Tel: (66) 2 361 3961
Fax: (66) 2 361 3962-3

http://www.alliedpickfordsthailand.com/contact-us

Edited by Estrada
  • Like 1

Since you are American, you can go to the US Consulate in Bangkok, and for about 1,200 or 1,500 baht, you can fill out a form they will give you which indicates your income form the USA (Social Security, retirement, etc.) They have never asked me for proof and I've been here for over 12 years, but you do have to swear to the vice consul that it is correct. Thai immigration accepts that assuming it meets or exceeds their income requirements.

We shipped a 20 foot container from the USA in my wife's name and paid no duty because my wife was a returning Thai citizen. No hassles, no tea money.

Agree with the person who suggested that you rent for 6 month or a year. Once you are satisfied with the area, you'll be able to find something to buy (new or existing) and your wife will have a good understanding of market values by then. I got my wife to give me a 30 year prepaid lease on the house that we bought. Fully trust my wife, but if anything happens to her, it would be a big temptation for her family. Can give you a draft copy if you need it.

Have never had a hassle from Bangkok Immigration. I dress professionally, fill out docs correctly and bring all supporting docs. Remain polite and let my wife handle everything. Would rather deal with Thai immigration than U.S. Immigration. Note that the morning you apply for your visa, deposit 1,000 baht into your bank account and then update the bank book. You'll also need a letter from the bank which you should get a few days in advance. Should state your name, passport number, bank account number and the amount on deposit. Regarding the 2 month rule, ensure that you never drop below the 400K (or 800K) limit during that time, but show some deposits and withdrawals so they can see it's an active account, not just borrowed money. Best of luck.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your responses and I appreciate you taking the time. They have been very helpful. I am very new at this kind of interaction and hope I am doing things the proper way. It appears that this site has many resources, and I hope to learn some of them as I use them more.

Ubonjoe--On the visa.... when we move I will still have affairs to wind-up on Langkawi and these may require several trips back and forth over the next several months so a single entry visa is problemmatical. Krabi is not too far from Satun (5-6hr.by car). Other than successive 30 day passes at the border, are there other alternatives? You also suggested that I post some of my concerns on other "topics." Should I do that now or wait until this one runs its course?

Thank you all for your responses and I appreciate you taking the time. They have been very helpful. I am very new at this kind of interaction and hope I am doing things the proper way. It appears that this site has many resources, and I hope to learn some of them as I use them more.

Ubonjoe--On the visa.... when we move I will still have affairs to wind-up on Langkawi and these may require several trips back and forth over the next several months so a single entry visa is problemmatical. Krabi is not too far from Satun (5-6hr.by car). Other than successive 30 day passes at the border, are there other alternatives? You also suggested that I post some of my concerns on other "topics." Should I do that now or wait until this one runs its course?

If you can apply for the extension during the 90 day entry you can get a multiple re-entry permit for your trips that would be valid until the extension expires.

If you needed to travel during the 90 days you could get a single re-entry permits for the 90 day entry.

You could also get a multiple entry non-o visa that would allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year. You will have to show financial proof to get it in Penang. You could apply for the extension during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from the visa.

You might want to do a topic in the real estate forum if you still have questions about your home purchase and etc.

For shipping in you household goods as was mentioned earlier you should import them in you wife's name if she has been living outside the country a year or more since she is allowed duty free entry of them. See: http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+used+or+secondhand+household+effects/importingusedsecondhandhouseholdeffects+.