Prescription Drug/TravelQuestion

SpokaneAl

My wife and I spend half the year in the U.S. and the other half in Thailand.

My wife recently began needing a prescription drug. We have been informed that our insurance will allow a 90 day/three month prescription refill at a time. Due to our upcoming travel we can get a refill just before leaving. However, this will still leave us needing a refill while in Thailand.

My questions are:

One option is to give our son, who remains in the U.S., Power of attorney, so that he could get the prescription filled and send it to us. Is this a safe way to obtain medication?

If we came to Thailand with the prescription from our U.S. doctor, could we get it refilled in Thailand while understanding that we would need to pay the entire cost?

Is there a better way that I have not considered?

Thank you for your help.

What is a prescription drug there, may be over the counter here, without details of the drug it is hard to comment.

Moving this to the Health/Medicine forum for better more focused and qualified responses.

MOVED

I see you are on now -- Most likely either the drug is available generic at a drug store in Thailand or you would just have to see a doctor one-time at a hospital and get a prescription for the hospital pharmacy

The brand name Zosamax is Merck and distributed by Zuellig in Thailand so it is definitely available at a hospital pharmacy. Generic not sure yet.

The generic 'Aldren' is reported to be available in Thailand:

Aldren

Aldren may be available in the countries listed below.

Ingredient matches for Aldren Alendronic Acid

Alendronic Acid is reported as an ingredient of Aldren in the following countries:

• Thailand

Note: Alendronic Acid is the active ingredient in Fosamax

Edited by JLCrab

If I am reading this doc correctly, you will need to declare that much prescription medicine:

http://narcotic.fda.moph.go.th/faq/upload/guidance%20for%20travelers%20version%204.doc._e1a4.pdf

Quote:

"Those travellers carrying all other medications into Thailand (including medications containing psychotropic substances of Categories 2, 3, and 4) do not have to declare their medications at the Customs Dept. Red Channel if the medication is for personal treatment in a quantity not exceeding 30 days of prescribed usage and accompanied by a certificate/medical prescription from the prescribing physician."

I haven't taken > 30 days worth of prescription medicine into Thailand before, but will be later in the year for the first time. Would be interested to learn how you get on.

Would your Dr not allow 2 prescriptions to be filled prior to your trip? That is how I used to do it (UK not USA). If not, as it is available here it is just a matter of cost I think.

Where will you be in Thailand? Fascino outside Sirirat Hospital in Bangkok is the cheapest I've found and I live in Pattaya. You phone in your order, they give you a price, you make a deposit into the owner's bank account, they EMS you the meds. i do not think you will run into problems with not having a prescription at any pharmacy. If you need a phone number PM me.

A US prescription has no validity in Thailand but as others have said this drug is available without prescription in Thailand...and there are locally made generic equivalents which will be less expensive than Fosamax.

However you will need a large pharmacy in a major city to find it.

Technically there is a 30 day limit on quantity of meds you can bring in. But in reality they usually don't count out the tablets or take much interest when it is a noncontrolled substance in amounts consistent with personal use.

Where will you be in Thailand? Fascino outside Sirirat Hospital in Bangkok is the cheapest I've found and I live in Pattaya. You phone in your order, they give you a price, you make a deposit into the owner's bank account, they EMS you the meds. i do not think you will run into problems with not having a prescription at any pharmacy. If you need a phone number PM me.

Fascino is not cheap anywhere in Thailand, even with the 5% discount card. They are slightly cheaper than the average pharmacy but much more expensive than the Chinese wholesale pharmacies. And there is one right next door to Fascino opp.Siriraj Hospital with all medication at about two thirds the price. But the best one is really just round the corner from Fascino. A very large Chinese pharmacy who have everything. We just phone them and they send the medicine SMS

If I am reading this doc correctly, you will need to declare that much prescription medicine:

http://narcotic.fda.moph.go.th/faq/upload/guidance%20for%20travelers%20version%204.doc._e1a4.pdf

Quote:

"Those travellers carrying all other medications into Thailand (including medications containing psychotropic substances of Categories 2, 3, and 4) do not have to declare their medications at the Customs Dept. Red Channel if the medication is for personal treatment in a quantity not exceeding 30 days of prescribed usage and accompanied by a certificate/medical prescription from the prescribing physician."

I haven't taken > 30 days worth of prescription medicine into Thailand before, but will be later in the year for the first time. Would be interested to learn how you get on.

I have brought in 30 days+, more than once. Never an issue.

Your son has a script for your medication,gets it filled in the US and sends it to you you will have no problem.Only get it tracked so you will know where it is,and you might have to go pick it up it will be at the post office not delivered to your house.Take your passport for ID ,sometimes they ask you for it most times they don't,but the main thing is when your son sends the parcel get him to email you the tracking number that is what the post office will want

Edited by mickjn

Your son has a script for your medication,gets it filled in the US and sends it to you you will have no problem.Only get it tracked so you will know where it is,and you might have to go pick it up it will be at the post office not delivered to your house.Take your passport for ID ,sometimes they ask you for it most times they don't,but the main thing is when your son sends the parcel get him to email you the tracking number that is what the post office will want

It is not technically legal to receive pharmaceuticals by mail, only to bring them in with you as accompanied baggage.

If the package is noticed by customs, likely to be confiscated.

Some people do successfully receive meds by mail but using regular postal service, never a courier.

Since the medication needed is available here without prescription, no need to go this route.

I also have traumatic brain injury but don't really believe it has anything to do with that.

Likewise, trust you are feeling well. I've survived with quality long past my expiration date.

Marrying a Sainted Thai woman was very helpful.

fosamax is a biphosphate, there are some nuances to this type of intervention for thinning bones, re: brands or sub-groups of the family of meds.

but, being a matter of long term use, i'm sure you fill it in the US, then just don't start taking it till right before leaving, as 1-2 months delay won't matter generally

or just don't start the meds till you / she get back .....