23 countries issue travel warnings for Thailand

webfact

Twenty Three Countries Issue Travel Warnings for Thailand

BANGKOK – In the wake of Monday’s Erawan shrine bombing, 23 countries have issued travel advisories with most advising caution rather than avoiding travel to Thailand.

The Foreign Ministry said 12 countries issued “Level 2” advisories, urging citizens to take extra care during trips to the kingdom: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan and the United States.

Nine nations, however, recommended a higher degree of caution, or Level 3, warnings. They are Australia, Canada, China, Germany, Italy, Ireland, New Zealand, Russia and the United Kingdom.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/twenty-three-countries-issue-travel-warnings-for-thailand.html

-- CHIANGRAI TIMES 2015-08-20

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nowhere is completely safe these days... Just go, have fun and hope that you're not in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Yes , I think a certain amount of caution where ever you are is need these days , the only problem is this type of atrocity can happen in New York , London , Sydney , Timbuck 2 and Beyond the Black Stump and they don't advertise their next move either..

Travel warnings are a way for governments and insurance companies to avoid paying any compensation.

The point is not to protect you, which is impossible with terrorism, but to tell you "if you go there, it's at your own risk", as insurance companies will refuse to pay.

Travel warnings are a way for governments and insurance companies to avoid paying any compensation.

The point is not to protect you, which is impossible with terrorism, but to tell you "if you go there, it's at your own risk", as insurance companies will refuse to pay.

Insurance companies do not need gov warning NOT to pay.

Each policy has terrorism, war and act of god exclusions

You have different degrees of compensation, and I'm no expert, but basically once you have been officially warned not got, you get even less.

That's the idea

You have different degrees of compensation, and I'm no expert, but basically once you have been officially warned not got, you get even less.

That's the idea

There are no degrees or limits.

If you come to Thailand and get hit by a car, insurance covers all your costs.

If you come to Thailand and get hit by a bomb, insurance does not pay a cent.

Anything which falls into exclusion is not covered at all, anything outside the exclusions still has the same cover smile.png

However some companies may increase premium because of the warning, but warning level is not really high enough at the moment

Go somewhere else.

Did the same countries issue warnings about Turkey as well?

The current violence in Turkey is much worse than it is in Thailand, what do you think?

Edited by Barin

That's the idea

There are no degrees or limits.

If you come to Thailand and get hit by a car, insurance covers all your costs.

If you come to Thailand and get hit by a bomb, insurance does not pay a cent.

Anything which falls into exclusion is not covered at all, anything outside the exclusions still has the same cover smile.png

However some companies may increase premium because of the warning, but warning level is not really high enough at the moment

Insurance contracts are varied and multiple, you even have insurance companies specializing in terrorism risk, nowadays.

You also have embassy's help which obviously would be lessen in case of official warning.

A level 1 would not have the same impact on coverage, as level 2 warning for example.

Edited by Kitsune

Go somewhere else.

Did the same countries issue warnings about Turkey as well?

The situation in Turkey is much worse than it is in Thailand, what do you think?

Anything happening in Bangkok is frontpage news in the European newspapers, why is that?

If there's a bomb in lets say Mexico city, Johannesburg or Moscow they don't even write about it but as soon as it's Bangkok they're all over it. Now i have to explain all my relatives what happened and who done it.

AGAIN!! I know dozens of other "countries" where it's bloody more dangerous! Everywhere you have lunatics and fanatics politically motivated or not. A sad but real fact. Does that mean you always have to hand out travel warnings over and over again? It's like creating a sort of panic situation among would-be travelers implying that every single day something bad can happen in Thailand. Please wake up "International Community"! saai.gif

"Urging citizens to take extra care" ??

And how does a citizen do this ?

Leave or don't visit is one very easy solution and I thought of that in under ...................................Blindingly simple!!!

Nowhere is completely safe these days... Just go, have fun and hope that you're not in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Your statement is almost correct. By having fun and not worrying it's actually impossible to meet with unfortunate circumstances.

I don't expect most here to comprehend the nature of our vibrational reality, but hey, those who have ears... 8-)

The real concern for TAT and the Junta is whether the Chinese government issues a warning to its citizens. Like NCPO "advisories", CCP "guidance" has the effect of directing the Chinese people.

The Junta has now declared that hope for GDP growth in 2015 will rely solely on tourism. Another serious bombing incident that appears to target Chinese tourists will likely evoked a "warning" from the CCP. And that will end Thailand's only source for economic growth for 2015. A terrorist couldn't ask for a better reason to attempt further bombings if the intention is to damage the nation's economy.

AGAIN!! I know dozens of other "countries" where it's bloody more dangerous! Everywhere you have lunatics and fanatics politically motivated or not. A sad but real fact. Does that mean you always have to hand out travel warnings over and over again? It's like creating a sort of panic situation among would-be travelers implying that every single day something bad can happen in Thailand. Please wake up "International Community"! saai.gif

For me the fact that there are no bins outside the malls in Siam-area says enough.

But even that can't stop the bombers the last years. Also loads and loads of camera's doesn't help at all.

Did they ever arrest the bombers who placed a small bomb at Siam Paragon some months ago?

I never heard of that case again.

For me it sounds weird that with so many dashcams and people filming or making pictures they still can't find a good picture of this bomber.

I mean you can't even walk 10 steps in the area without seeing people making selfies or pictures, the bomber weared a yellow shirt so he should be filmed somewhere by somebody i guess.

It is extremely difficult to hold any opinion with clarity owing to a host of mitigating factors such as the quality of reporting , the credibility of information, the myriad of knee jerk statements made by those who should know better. However, the known facts are indeed worrisome.

The Eriwan blast was from a far more sophisticated component than we have seen in the past within any region in Thailand.

The timing of this act opposite several current social and political events may well be key to reason behind this carnage and yet again at the onset of what is soon to be the high season doubt is being spread about personal safety in this country and the international community has little faith in Thai administration.

There are those who say mai pen rai and that there is more chance of you being struck by lightning that caught in a bomb blast which at the current level of incidents may well be accurate but this is of little comfort to the relatives of those who sadly were outside the statistical norm. My own take on this is that someone or some group, yet anonymous, has set a tone which only the events of the next few weeks will determine what is in store.

23 country's (many first world with good intel) issue warnings and consider this an internal problem. Thailand's response that it is a foreigner and sure as s*^+ won't ever admit that they have an internal problem to them selves so no chance that will consider this as being internal publicly.

So I guess they are looking for a French IS guy who got lost on his way to the holy war outstanding.

For me the fact that there are no bins outside the malls in Siam-area says enough.

But even that can't stop the bombers the last years. Also loads and loads of camera's doesn't help at all.

Did they ever arrest the bombers who placed a small bomb at Siam Paragon some months ago?

I never heard of that case again.

For me it sounds weird that with so many dashcams and people filming or making pictures they still can't find a good picture of this bomber.

I mean you can't even walk 10 steps in the area without seeing people making selfies or pictures, the bomber weared a yellow shirt so he should be filmed somewhere by somebody i guess.

I thought the lack of bins was to make you throw your fag ends on the floor so they could fine you?

This has applied for Australians doing land travel from southern Thailand to Malaysia.

I believe it absolves the insurance companies is something happens. 5000 dead over the past few years.

"Urging citizens to take extra care" ??

And how does a citizen do this ?

What they mean is you should walk around with your eyes and ears open. then you might know what is going on around you and not being drunk all day and night.

Yes, perhaps one should stick to quieter areas with less crowds, perhaps sit in a nice quiet Cafe somewhere ..... such as the Lindt Chocolate cafe in Martin place in Sydney.

Even safer .... just stay in your hotel room. be sure to pick a nice 5 star, high quality one - the Taj Mahal Palace in Mumbai springs to mind.

Or stick to highbrow cultural events, much less likely to let the riff-raff in there -perhaps if you find yourself in Moscow a performance of Nord-ost would be in order.

Or just stick with something less conspicuous - go watch a movie ... especially if you are in Aurora Colorado ....