Non-O based on Marriage - Savannakhet

We drove to the border and left the truck at the overnight parking just before the border in Mukdahan which is a large covered slab of pavement which they charge 250 baht per day. Crossed without hassle on a half full bus but to be honest I would probably stay at the Savan Vegas hotel since they have a private van that can be used crossing the border and traveling to the hotel. Our stay was at the Daosavannah hotel which was ok but not really worth the 60 bucks a night I believe we paid. We were able to ride to the embassy the following morning with some embassy staff free of charge which was nice but got us to the embassy at 0800 and the embassy did not open until 0900 on the dot. If you arrive a bit later make sure you have an umbrella because it can be quite hot in the sun. My missus set over in the air conditioned coffee shop with free wifi while I waited at the gate in the #1 spot. We dropped our papers off and 5000 baht (they only accept THB) and was told to return at 1400 the following day. The documents we provided were: (on a side note a older gentlemen had quite a hassle because he hadn't brought his sons original birth certificate so make sure you have the original)

Application form with photos.

Signed copy of wifes thai id card

Signed copy of wifes house book.

Copy of marriage certificate

Signed copy of my passport page.

Copy of my laos visa.

Original marriage certificate to inspect.

The tuk tuk driver told us for 500 baht he could collect the passport early but we weren't rushed so didn't bother. We collected my 1 year multi-entry the next day at 1400 and cross back into Thailand. All of this hassle free.

Thanks Ubonjoe!

Kurt

• Like 2

Any request for a residency certificate or similar? A friend of mine has been asked for that in Vientiane and his visa denied, a tourist visa was given instead. I specify that he was applying for a Non Immigrant O based on retirement, not based on marriage like in your case.

Any request for a residency certificate or similar? A friend of mine has been asked for that in Vientiane and his visa denied, a tourist visa was given instead. I specify that he was applying for a Non Immigrant O based on retirement, not based on marriage like in your case.

You friend failed to protest the request for a residence certificate. Others have done it and got the visa.

• Like 1

You friend failed to protest the request for a residence certificate. Others have done it and got the visa.

Thanks, I'll tell him.

Cheers

• 6 months later...

No request for residence certificate, only the documents I listed.

Kurt

Hi Siriam.

I did the Vientiane run a couple of weeks ago and was assured by the guys outside I had no chance of getting a Non O.

I took the chance and it was approved but I had to give the consulate people copies of my Yellow Book as well. I also found it a bit strange that even after presenting my current bank details ie last page updated in Udon the day before they asked for copies of all pages in the book and attached the original book to the application.

I think if you can prove residency it is a bit easier, have to admit that I was unaware of the proof of financial funds was required for Non O. I thought that that was only for Retirement Extension actually inside Thailand.