ThaiBev consolidates all beers into Chang Classic to shake up market

webfact

Is the "new" Chang out yet? My local Mom n Pop store only has the regular old classic. The nearest 7-11 only has Leo, Singha & Heineken. Are they waiting for all old stock to be drunk before releasing the new "wonder beer"? Not been to Makro or Tesco recently...

The new Chang is available. But crap. No taste / flavour at all.

I'll stick with Singha

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Classic case of "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

And surely a case of throwing the baby out with the Chang water.

The original Chang was a great beer, having enough character to stand up to the devilishly spicy food of Isaan

Exactly! And then they changed it like 4 times....

what? Changed it 4 times? ..

And its still sh!t

Me thinks any change they can make must be an improovement

The bottle's colour has also been changed from amber to green to attract more premium and younger drinkers of 20-35 years of age, down from 25-44 previously.

So, despite the government trying to stop youngsters from drinking beer, Chang lowers its target age group from a minimum of 24 down to 20?

Gonna' have to think about that one.

Just tried the new Chang now and it tastes sour to me. They are truly going for a skunky Heineken flavor as far as I can tell. I am moving on to Leo as there seems to be nothing else to love in my poor wretched life.

Also my first impression of the new Chang was that it tasted like Heineken, they have shot themseves in the foot by removing the old taste, why sell a winning horse?

Just tried the new Chang now and it tastes sour to me. They are truly going for a skunky Heineken flavor as far as I can tell. I am moving on to Leo as there seems to be nothing else to love in my poor wretched life.

Also my first impression of the new Chang was that it tasted like Heineken, they have shot themseves in the foot by removing the old taste, why sell a winning horse?

And why call it "Classic" when it clearly isn't? Pissy Heartburn would be nearer the mark

Let's be honest people. The old classic was famous for its hangovers. I liked the taste, but not the feeling I had the next day. I had to abstain from Chang Classic because of it.

At the moment trying the new stuff (green bottles) I would agree it became heinekish, but way better because it still has 5.5% alcohol and has a better flavour. I was really impressed with the new product because it didn't give me a hangover the next day even after 4 large bottles.

I think the new Chang is up to par to premium beers. You get the same feeling when you wake up the next day after drinking premium beers.

Well done. This is the best Chang ever so far! Way better than Leo in my opinion when it comes to quality and price range. Let's see how the beer market changes in a few months. I can see that Thai Bev worked hard over the new Chang.

I predict this beer will do well in the near future.

Let's be honest people. The old classic was famous for its hangovers. I liked the taste, but not the feeling I had the next day. I had to abstain from Chang Classic because of it.

At the moment trying the new stuff (green bottles) I would agree it became heinekish, but way better because it still has 5.5% alcohol and has a better flavour. I was really impressed with the new product because it didn't give me a hangover the next day even after 4 large bottles.

I think the new Chang is up to par to premium beers. You get the same feeling when you wake up the next day after drinking premium beers.

Well done. This is the best Chang ever so far! Way better than Leo in my opinion when it comes to quality and price range. Let's see how the beer market changes in a few months. I can see that Thai Bev worked hard over the new Chang.

I totally agree. I also predict after a while they will reintroduce more products based on the new image.

And for all the whingers moaning about the size, it's 10 mls <deleted> not even a tablespoon!!!

I totally agree. I also predict after a while they will reintroduce more products based on the new image.

And for all the whingers moaning about the size, it's 10 mls <deleted> not even a tablespoon!!!

That's true, but do you think this will be the last reduction in volume?

Personally I think Chang export was the best tasting of all the local beers (which frankly doesn't say a lot).

That's true, but do you think this will be the last reduction in volume?

Personally I think Chang export was the best tasting of all the local beers (which frankly doesn't say a lot).

I am pretty sure they will stick to this size for a while.

But you never know what will happen. Singha changed the large bottles to 500 ml which was a poor move because it became more expensive in proportion to liquid. Its price is close to Heineken beer proportionally. Singha always used to be cheaper than Heineken or even Tiger. Bad move in my opinion as it puts off a lot of drinkers who appreciate the value.

I don't think Chang will continue reducing the volume. It would be stupid. The bottle design is set. Now Chang has to promote itself because it changed completely. It's a different beer now. It's not great, but it's different.

Well, it seems it wasn't a winning horse. If the sales volume is not where it needed to be for the target demographic, management had to do something.

The company had focus groups and tested its new format. It would not have made the change unless it had data to support that change. The company may lose your business, but pick up 2-4 customers in your place. I am not a fan of Thai beers and give thanks to the specialty firms that import some wonderful European products.

Well, it seems it wasn't a winning horse. If the sales volume is not where it needed to be for the target demographic, management had to do something.

The company had focus groups and tested its new format. It would not have made the change unless it had data to support that change. The company may lose your business, but pick up 2-4 customers in your place. I am not a fan of Thai beers and give thanks to the specialty firms that import some wonderful European products.

Well I probably drink more than the three customers they gain so it is all relative.

When ASEAN comes, people will go for Beerlao, Myanmar beer and then Cambodian beer.

First of all, ASEAN came in 1967 so 48 years ago.

Secondly, beer Lao is easily available at many bars and pubs throughout Thailand as well as supermarkets such as Foodland. Cambodia and Myanmar beer can be found at border markets such as Rong Kluea market in Aranyaprathet and Mae Sot for Cambodian and Myanmar beer respectively.

When ASEAN comes, people will go for Beerlao, Myanmar beer and then Cambodian beer.

Secondly, beer Lao is easily available at many bars and pubs throughout Thailand as well as supermarkets such as Foodland. Cambodia and Myanmar beer can be found at border markets such as Rong Kluea market in Aranyaprathet and Mae Sot for Cambodian and Myanmar beer respectively.

For the well travlled beer drinker that is great news; for every body else it's &lt;deleted&gt;. Try buying beer laos where I live mate. Your statement about ASEAN is also completely redundant as ir only included the original powerhouses of se asia, not the economic powerhouse it is proposed to be

As of new years eve, Thailand had agreed to abide by the 7th ASEAN charter. It calls for the complete abolition of all import duties on any alcohol traded by all ASEAN partners. It will be interesting to see if Thailand abides by this. Would sure be nice to have easy access to beer laos, Bintang, and many others, duty free. Imagine what a hit Chang, Singha and Tiger would take?

Let us see if they are willing and able to abide by this charter, and avoid dirty games. Let us see if they are capable of playing fair. This is going to be very interesting.

Basically untrue. It is incredibly difficult to find bars that serve Beer Laos, unless you are in the tourist zones of Bangkok. It is superior beer. Yes, some of the bigger markets that cater to foreigners sell it. But, wait until after the New Years, to see if Thailand abides by the new charter, all eyes will be on Thailand, to see if they can resist cheating, and protecting Chang and Singha.

How anyone can refer to Chang, new or old, as a premium beer is beyond me. in fact no mass produced Thai beer would come close to being a premium beer.

As of new years eve, Thailand had agreed to abide by the 7th ASEAN charter. It calls for the complete abolition of all import duties on any alcohol traded by all ASEAN partners. It will be interesting to see if Thailand abides by this. Would sure be nice to have easy access to beer laos, Bintang, and many others, duty free. Imagine what a hit Chang, Singha and Tiger would take?

Let us see if they are willing and able to abide by this charter, and avoid dirty games. Let us see if they are capable of playing fair. This is going to be very interesting.

I can't see the abolition of import duties happening for the reason you mentioned... i.e. No one would be drinking Thai beer

For the well travlled beer drinker that is great news; for every body else it's <deleted>. Try buying beer laos where I live mate. Your statement about ASEAN is also completely redundant as ir only included the original powerhouses of se asia, not the economic powerhouse it is proposed to be

I don't know where you live but beer Lao can be found without too much difficulty if you look around. Not everywhere but it's more available than I previously expected.

There are now 10 member states in ASEAN the last ones joined in the 90s. I don't know what point you are trying to make with ASEAN but the fact is it's been around for a LONG f cking time. If you don't believe me use Google.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

Basically untrue. It is incredibly difficult to find bars that serve Beer Laos, unless you are in the tourist zones of Bangkok. It is superior beer. Yes, some of the bigger markets that cater to foreigners sell it. But, wait until after the New Years, to see if Thailand abides by the new charter, all eyes will be on Thailand, to see if they can resist cheating, and protecting Chang and Singha.

Tell that to Laos, where beer Lao has a 99% market share. I've never seen any Thai beer there and something tells me it's countries like Laos and Cambodia that won't abide by the law than Thailand. Already one can find just about any type of beer they want in Thailand just it might be expensive. But no problems with availability. Just go to Big C extra Tesco Foodland Villa etc. it's all there. At most Thailand might unfairly tax some of these items but you can always go to the border and find an untaxed version.

Sound more like the company is running down as opposed to being ready to take over the world.

The little 'kick' the 6% Chang had made it interesting. The latest stuff is a bit bland. And constantly making the bottle a bit smaller for the same price is annoying enough to make me choose something else. In the UK, they are down to 300ml in many bottles now.

I look forward to this 'perfect liquid' they are able to make. I wonder why they don't.

Agreed, the amber bottled 6% chang was the reason for buying it. It only took you 1 bottle to get drunk. Now the new chang is like drinking heiniken you need to drink a whole 6 pack to get drunk while constantly going for a piss.

It isn't that hard to find Beer Lao but the price point puts some people off. Chang was the go to choice for the budget drinker. Low price, big bottles, high alcohol content. I can afford other beer but actually just preferred Chang over the other Thai brands. Beer Lao isn't in most 7/11 that I have noticed so it can not replace Chang easily. So while Beer Lao is available you need some planning if you want to drink it on a regular basis or at home. Outside of Bangkok I can imagine it could be much harder to find.

I think Chang is going to run into problems trying to market this as a premium beer as they have a reputation for being the working man's swill. Who knows? If they have a great marketing team maybe they can convince people that something new has been born. The bright side of this is that I have drank considerably less beer since this has happened.

Tried the "new Chang" today. OMG how to bring a large corporation down. How do they think buyers will prefer this to Chang Export, Draught or Federbrau! Tasted like the by product from a chemical plant bah.gif

Competition must be peeing their pants in anticipation of their market dominance!