Any shops selling records in Patts ?

stewmac68

There was something very special about placing a record on the turntable and dropping the stylus onto it. I never had a problem with "clicks, pops or scratches" as I was very careful not to scratch them. They were expensive and special.

Indeed!

For second hand records try Vinyllica at Fortune Town, Bangkok. He has nice stock of second hand and some new LPs.

I don't think there is a record store in Pattaya. You can buy few new releases and re issues, but these re issues are almost always digitally mastered.

For ticks and pops.. not really an issue if record is kept away from mineral dust, and not abused. Good turntable helps too, and good cartridge keeps the noise low enough that you can hear the tape hiss of the recording, that means LP's noise floor is lower than analog tape machines used for mastering.

Here is my turntable, making a tape for a friend, who wanted all analog. No ticks no pops smile.png

You really are up to speed on all the old tech. I'm astounded! I'm curious as to why anyone would want an old analog recording????

You really are up to speed on all the old tech. I'm astounded! I'm curious as to why anyone would want an old analog recording????

He is a huge fan of open reel tape decks, and cassette decks, I am not even sure why that is, he claims analog sounds better to him, but it could be a nostalgia trip. Maybe he wants to hear the recordings of that era the way he heard them back then, when released.

This Abba record is from 1980, it recorded and mastered on analog tape machines, as was everything up to The Visitors in 1981.

Abba's 'The Vistors' LP of 1981 is considered the first all digital recording, alltho released both on LP, and CD. So when he plays this back on his open reel machine, all of it is analog, it has not gone through analog-digital conversion as a CD has, some people like it that way, I guess. I do, too! Queen's 'News Of The World' I like to listen the way it was heard in 1977, and not remastered, not re released and re packaged. LP art is beautiful too!

Some believe analog is better. I don't know. It can be as good as CD, at least for popular music. Classical orchestra has huge dynamic range, classical lovers were first to adopt CD, because the format of a symphony suits CD much better.

But I think it is just a nice thing, cleaning the LP, putting it on turntable, watching it.. you can see where the sound comes from smile.png

And the gear looks nice, now it's just a laptop and some little speakers on the desk, in a way we are going backwards, people do not care about good sound any more.

There was something special about turntables and audiophile equipment back in seventies and even the eighties. It was like searching for the holy grail - the perfect combination of both music and the equipment to play it on. It always seemed ironical the better the equipment (and often the more expensive), and the simpler the electronics were without tone controls etc to get it straight from the source, the more recording imperfections were shown up. But when it was really working the sound was more than kissing God, it was slipping the tongue in too and only crazy audiophile nutters like myself would know what this analogy means. Using different cartridges for different music, buying and reselling exotic HI Fi equipment. Using gizmos like album clamps and disc washers, balancing the arm every few plays , reading the latest HI FI magazines and flicking through all those LP's in the music store. This is what I miss in a nostalgic way. Now when you put on a mp3 the sound is dictated to you and the only practical improvement is to improve your headphones or your sound card .

I admit i have a large collection of mp3 s (and FLAC) as well as CDs but then i am a collector of music and to have a rare track of somebody long gone is more important sometimes than to have nothing at all , even if it is on mp3 and recorded straight from vinyl with all its clicks and pops. So much music has been lost already because it has been deleted from the back catalogues. I sometime wonder how much of it will be left in a hundred years from now - what format it will be in and if music libraries will be able to collect, catalogue and contain all these treasures before the cretins like ISIS and other fundamentalists groups deem it as unworthy of being preserved. Sorry i am off topic.

I have a picture disc of the Sex Pistols album Never Mind The Bolox - hoping that might be worth a few bob once Sid Vicious has passed on coffee1.gif

Sid is long gone maybe u mean johnny rotten ?

Not interested in silly black records sorry don't think they be worth more than a quid each now she is dead tbh

I have a picture disc of the Sex Pistols album Never Mind The Bolox - hoping that might be worth a few bob once Sid Vicious has passed on coffee1.gif

Not interested in silly black records sorry don't think they be worth more than a quid each now she is dead tbh

What's so "silly" about them, and who is "she"? Pretty silly comment IMO.

Silly black aka cilla black on merseyside , so nothing silly bout my comment u just don't understand that's all

Silly black aka cilla black on merseyside , so nothing silly bout my comment u just don't understand that's all

I apologise, but if you were replying to Pheat123 who had the Cilla Black collection, instead of Walter Travolta, I probably would have got it.

Being an avid Bob Dylan fan and him amongst other things being one of the most bootlegged artist of all time I once had a very large collection of collectable Vinyl and also commercially produced CDs mostly from live concert recordings but also studio out takes and the like.

Many moons ago an album appeared in the late 60s see link below.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-10-best-bob-dylan-bootlegs-20110511?page=2

I spent hours scouring record fairs and conventions seeking out these rare jewels.

Alas I sold the entire lot a few years back via Ebay and made £10 k,now I have most of that material for free from the web on FLAC.

But there is nothing like stumbling across a rare piece you have been looking for over the years.

Holding the dust jacket and admiring the pictures and words,for me it never got boring,things changed slightly with the advent of CDs but then the market for them started but it wasn't the same.

Sorry I don't know of any record shops but I do share your enthusiasm for seeking out new vinyl etc,and this thread brought back some great memories for me.

Happy hunting.

Regards

Stoneyboy.

There was also the magic of perusing the record cover, sometimes a work of art in itself, quite often with liner notes, something I've never bothered to do with a CD.

Yes, I remember well.... a trip down memory lane... For me it was back in the 70's. Going to the record shop and spending hours looking over all the records was a pastime, before Internet replaced it. Those were the days when you bought records at full price that were many years old.... and you were proud of your record collection.

Ah yes, great memories. As giddyup rightly says, some of the album covers from the 60s and 70s were works of art, the artwork of Roger Dean and Hipgnosis especially. CDs just can't compare. Plus, lets face it, you can't build a decent spliff on a CD cover!

He is a huge fan of open reel tape decks, and cassette decks, I am not even sure why that is, he claims analog sounds better to him, but it could be a nostalgia trip. Maybe he wants to hear the recordings of that era the way he heard them back then, when released.

This Abba record is from 1980, it recorded and mastered on analog tape machines, as was everything up to The Visitors in 1981.

Abba's 'The Vistors' LP of 1981 is considered the first all digital recording, alltho released both on LP, and CD. So when he plays this back on his open reel machine, all of it is analog, it has not gone through analog-digital conversion as a CD has, some people like it that way, I guess. I do, too! Queen's 'News Of The World' I like to listen the way it was heard in 1977, and not remastered, not re released and re packaged. LP art is beautiful too!

Some believe analog is better. I don't know. It can be as good as CD, at least for popular music. Classical orchestra has huge dynamic range, classical lovers were first to adopt CD, because the format of a symphony suits CD much better.

But I think it is just a nice thing, cleaning the LP, putting it on turntable, watching it.. you can see where the sound comes from smile.png

And the gear looks nice, now it's just a laptop and some little speakers on the desk, in a way we are going backwards, people do not care about good sound any more.

Very interesting and thanks for the explanation.

I think the main reason to explain your last comment is that it is just too easy to record music these days, and cheap, so there's just too much coming out to keep up with it. Back in the 70's and 80's, albums and tracks would be widely popular for years, whereas these days, new music is unlikely to remain in vogue for more than a few months at most. Another theory is that financial return for music is a fraction these days of what it used to be, due to file sharing and YouTube, so musicians don't put as much effort into producing it.

When did you last buy any music? I can't remember the last time I did.

Very interesting and thanks for the explanation.

I think the main reason to explain your last comment is that it is just too easy to record music these days, and cheap, so there's just too much coming out to keep up with it. Back in the 70's and 80's, albums and tracks would be widely popular for years, whereas these days, new music is unlikely to remain in vogue for more than a few months at most. Another theory is that financial return for music is a fraction these days of what it used to be, due to file sharing and YouTube, so musicians don't put as much effort into producing it.

When did you last buy any music? I can't remember the last time I did.

You're right, there's an absolute glut of music these days, most of it instantly forgettable. I have access to hundreds of internet radio stations, each one catering to different styles of music, rock, jazz, blues, trance, etc, etc. Listening to music has become like TV channel surfing, audience attention spans are on a par with goldfish. The days when you bought an album and listened to it over and over are dead for most people.

You're right, there's an absolute glut of music these days, most of it instantly forgettable. I have access to hundreds of internet radio stations, each one catering to different styles of music, rock, jazz, blues, trance, etc, etc. Listening to music has become like TV channel surfing, audience attention spans are on a par with goldfish. The days when you bought an album and listened to it over and over are dead for most people.

RadioTunes (ex-SkyFM)? I've been listening to that for 3 years. That and YouTube is the source of our music.

We understand the difference (advantages?), but the younger generation don't know any different. It's a new world.