Roundabout to be latest attempt to fix dangerous Jomtien intersection

Rimmer

Roundabouts....... CAN WORK. .....if used properly......

Here in Thailand there are plenty of advertising boards......for sales purposes.....but when it comes to road use......few instructions

These people need to be educated in the same way as children.......(if that comment offends Thais...then act like grown ups)

Lots of sign posts are needed...with instructions........and heavy fines for those who disregard the law

And if they don't pay.......confiscate their vehicles until they do

But of course this is a Farang forum

I doubt many Thais read it

Roundabouts....... CAN WORK. .....if used properly......

Here in Thailand there are plenty of advertising boards......for sales purposes.....but when it comes to road use......few instructions

These people need to be educated in the same way as children.......(if that comment offends Thais...then act like grown ups)

Lots of sign posts are needed...with instructions........and heavy fines for those who disregard the law

And if they don't pay.......confiscate their vehicles until they do

But of course this is a Farang forum

I doubt many Thais read it

Blah blah blah blah .

Next.

I live near this roundabout and generally IMO it is better than the previous arrangement of having to do a U turn to cross Jomtien 2nd road.

I have been beeped at from behind while when driving my car while correctly giving way to the right to a motorbike, and my fear is that a farang on holiday here for the first time on his rented motorbike will expect larger vehicles to give way to his Honda click like they would in his home country and end up under their wheels but so far so serious incidents so hopefully it will stay that way.

Both u-turns each side of the roundabout are still in use.

these should be blocked off.

The road will be like a ploughed field in the next 2 months round this roundabout. big ruts already there.

If you are on this roundabout at the same time as a bus, better get out the way. if your a biker , very dangerous.

I was nearly hit there 3 days ago on my bike. I was on the roundabout

heading to Chayapuke and a car come out of Watboon right at me.

I had to stop,

Very safe junction now.

Remodel the junction, put more traffic lights.

It would be fine, like all other intersections in Thailand.

Roundabouts work, but not in Thailand.

I do believe we have not seen the last of this junction with regards to change. more to come soon.

Edited by onemorechang

An idea might be to install speedbumps just before entering the roundabout to make the drivers who want to charge straight onto it slow down.

Yes, that's a idea, but a bad one.

If someone is drunken and speeding, these bumpers can cause accidents.

See here;

Officials demand changes to Beach Road construction after motorbike accidents

The paths, 20cm high and seven meters wide, were designed to provide easy access across the busy road for wheelchairs, as well as control traffic speeds. However, after two more accidents were blamed on construction of the ramps, Pattaya officials ordered the paths to be lowered and widened.

Cyclist Akorn Aaworn struck a well-marked construction area around 4 a.m. Dec. 21 while riding an unlicensed Honda motorbike. He suffered cuts the face and his helmet was found two meters from the body.

Police are assuming Khunakorn was drunk, as he sped through a zone lit by flashing lights.

Sanit Inkhunthot, 25, of Srakaew flew off his Honda motorbike after hitting another construction site, also suffering face wounds.

The victim blamed city hall for allowing construction that posed dangers to motorcyclists speeding drunkenly through town in the middle of the night.

http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/officials-demand-changes-to-beach-road-construction-after-motorbike-accidents-33428#sthash.pwO5afwG.dpuf

We must keep in mind, TiT.

clap2.gifcheesy.gifcrazy.gif

Edited by alocacoc

The road will be like a ploughed field in the next 2 months round this roundabout. big ruts already there.

If you are on this roundabout at the same time as a bus, better get out the way. if your a biker , very dangerous.

I had to stop,

Very safe junction now.

I do believe we have not seen the last of this junction with regards to change. more to come soon.

If you follow the Thai rules on the road, roundabout actually works here. If you're an expat you will know this , a bike will slow down and wait for the big bus to pass first , even if it's not correct to do so in Europe, here it makes sense.

I only drive a car and also use a bicycle here. I will always slow down and watch the incoming traffic , any big buses or trucks and I will just wait for them to pass, no problems really , it works for me and I feel safer.

But I agree that any tourist coming here will get in trouble if they don't pay attention, in roundabouts , intersections and almost anywhere in Thailand.

I had to stop,

Very safe junction now.

If you follow the Thai rules on the road, roundabout actually works here. If you're an expat you will know this , a bike will slow down and wait for the big bus to pass first , even if it's not correct to do so in Europe, here it makes sense.

I only drive a car and also use a bicycle here. I will always slow down and watch the incoming traffic , any big buses or trucks and I will just wait for them to pass, no problems really , it works for me and I feel safer.

But I agree that any tourist coming here will get in trouble if they don't pay attention, in roundabouts , intersections and almost anywhere in Thailand.

Can you post the Thai rules for a roundabout here, please.

I have not seen them.

Thanks.

Also the guy charged at me when I was on the round about.

Get out the way im coming through.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes they work fine.

Last post on this thread.

To many fools for me.

Bye.

Much safer....I travel it daily. Thais need to be educated as to the cars

In the round a bout have thr right of way....this goes for all the

Foreigners that disregard all the safe driving because they are

In Thailand and not their home country where they would be

Given fines for careless driving.

Oh Please

don't try to blame the Farang for the bad driving in Thailand.

Why is it much safer ? can you list them please.coffee1.gif

In America, roundabouts are extremely few. I have driven in all 50 states, and can only think of less than 10 that I have encountered. You must be kidding when you say farangs cannot be bad drivers.

Thais cannot use roundabouts. Reasons are many. Many have no licence so no knowledge of the road rules which are rarely enforced. No signs at the few roundabouts that exist (not in Hua Hin anyway) and you have farangs from countries which have opposite rules to the use of roundabouts.

In Hua Hin there are only 2 if you discount the one at the rail crossing which although it looks like a roundabout it only acts to keep vehicles separated (somewhat anyway) Roundabouts only work here when there is only one vehicle otherwise you have bikes generally not stopping unless forced to by a car on the roundabout in front of them and actually blocking them or cars stopping and not knowing how/when to enter.

I go through the one at the bottom of Soi 112 almost very day and each time I do its an amazing experience :) The best way is slow and very careful :)

Out of curiosity I checked the rules here and they are the same as Oz ie give way to cars on roundabout but education about that is certainly missing.

I had to stop,

Very safe junction now.

Can you post the Thai rules for a roundabout here, please.

I have not seen them.

Thanks.

Also the guy charged at me when I was on the round about.

Get out the way im coming through.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes they work fine.

Last post on this thread.

To many fools for me.

Bye.

RULES FOR ROUNDABOUT

get out of the way i am bigger than you ,its me first. thats it.

And thats exactly what I meant by Thai laws. Just slow down and wait for the big buses and crazy drivers to get through, just take your time in the roundabout and you'll be just fine.

Well said stag4 although that traffic light junction seems to work & the traffic flows most of the time.

Issues are usually coaches coming out of soi 6 when they have no right of way & just blocking the road both ways untill they are let into the traffic flow, which of course has ground to a halt because of that coach in the first place.

Should install one at the junction of Pratumnak Rd. and Thrappaya also.