Non-slip tiles

cooked

A 35 year old lady died in the shower here last week, slipped and hit her head.

Our bathroom will be tiled by yours truly and as we already bought the tiles, I am wondering if there is an anti-slip, non yucky treatment for the tiles.

I have looked for tiles that are specifically non-slip but haven't identified any yet. Any ideas, please?

Install hand rails and don't worry about the tiles. Tiles designed for showers should not be "slippery".

Failing that buy some of the square plastic mats that are readily available in Homepro etc which can be sited where you choose,easy fix.

Since the shower area is only 2 square meters (about???) ..unless the tiles you bought are non-slip...Scrap them....Buy rough surfaced tiles (ie..non slip) , not going to cost you an arm and a leg!.....and for the rest of the bathroom put down rugs with rubber under them (again non-slip).

I built a six unit boutique resort and purposely found non slip tiles for the shower area .....not that dificult (run your hand over it to see how abrasive it is)....Just go to a specialty tile shop..

Since the shower area is only 2 square meters (about???) ..unless the tiles you bought are non-slip...Scrap them....Buy rough surfaced tiles (ie..non slip) , not going to cost you an arm and a leg!.....and for the rest of the bathroom put down rugs with rubber under them (again non-slip).

I built a six unit boutique resort and purposely found non slip tiles for the shower area .....not that dificult (run your hand over it to see how abrasive it is)....Just go to a specialty tile shop..

Thanks. I did say 'bathroom' and not shower area.

Thanks. I did say 'bathroom' and not shower area.

Sorrywub.png....BUT you did say ...she slipped in the "shower area".....so assumed you meant the "whole" bathroom.....am badwub.png

As for the bathroom.(which includes a shower area in my units)...you can do as I indicated earlier....put down "non slip" rugs on top (have rubberized material underneath)

Also ...you can do a non-slip tile in the shower area and whatever tile you want in the rest of the bathroom....no rules saying have to all be the same!whistling.gif

I am not sure how you would determine from a slip rating from generic tiles in Thailand, unless they have a data tag/ label with the box? Look for an R rating. Should be 12-13 for wet areas.

As another poster mentioned, you can feel/ see it in absence of the product data, ceramics with a 'glazed/ reflective' surface will not do it.

I got some of those rubber mats also, but the cheap ones, I went for a slide during a shower and almost cracked my head open. Be careful when selecting those too.........

I am not sure how you would determine from a slip rating from generic tiles in Thailand, unless they have a data tag/ label with the box? Look for an R rating. Should be 12-13 for wet areas.

As another poster mentioned, you can feel/ see it in absence of the product data, ceramics with a 'glazed/ reflective' surface will not do it.

I got some of those rubber mats also, but the cheap ones, I went for a slide during a shower and almost cracked my head open. Be careful when selecting those too.........

Obviously you don't want to get a "glazed refective surface" for a non-slip surface. I have gotten a few different tile styles that are non-slip....some seem (but are not) sand blasted ...others are just not glazed and are rough surfaces....

as I said before ...run your hand over it..you should be able to tell.

Yeah ...I know ...not the shower area...BUT ..She did slip and die in the "shower area" according to your post...maybe after you tile with the "glazed slippery" tiles you can put in the shower area those plastic (fake wood) squares ..

What price do you put on your head, or life for that matter?

Plenty of Non-slip Tiles at Home Pro, Global Etc., you only need a couple of square metres, so what are you Penny-pinching for?

Replace the death-traps !

Plenty of Non-slip Tiles at Home Pro, Global Etc., you only need a couple of square metres, so what are you Penny-pinching for?

Penny pinching? Thanks for that. I have walked around Home Pro and didn't see anything that was obviously non-slip. I will ask next time I go there, sorry I saked, I'm sure.

I've not seen an R rating on tile boxes here. And if you ask staff at the store for non-slip tiles, many have NO idea what your talking about. We're in the process of buying some tiles and it's been very frustrating. Basically up to us to figure it out. They seem to love the glossy tiles here for all parts of the house. Which is a disaster when even a small amount of water is present.

I've had my best luck at Boonthavorn. Their tiles guys really know their stuff. And a fantastic selection. Not sure where you are located.

I've read about a "paint" you can put on the tiles, but not seen it for sale here. Unfortunately. Tiles are cheap and some have fairly rough surfaces, so should be good.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Must have been devastating.

Bought some excellent and very non-slip bathroom & shower tiles from Global Home. As mentioned, some strategically place hand rails are always good to have.

Right - there are many non-slip floor tile designs available..

Penny pinching? Thanks for that. I have walked around Home Pro and didn't see anything that was obviously non-slip. I will ask next time I go there, sorry I saked, I'm sure.

We bought tiles from Home Pro which, by feel, were non-slip. They have been in use for 1 year now and certainly are non-slip. Just run your hands over the surface of the tiles.

They have matching wall tiles and non slip floor tiles.

I was deeply concerned about non slip floor tiles in bathrooms, showers, pool area and covered verada areas when I built a home in Buriram Province in 2008. RCI Tile and Cotto Tile worked with my budget. Those made in Thailand Cotto Tile and RCI Tile cost a bit more than the 166 baht a square meter I paid in 2015 for porcelain tile for a village house bedroom, but I did buy non slip floor tile for under 210 baht a square meter in 2015 in Buriram. The VRH rust proof stainless steel 304 grab bars have been installed in every Thailand home I have lived since 2005.

post-20604-0-70061500-1440521541_thumb.j

post-20604-0-31538800-1440521575_thumb.j

post-20604-0-20760200-1440521622_thumb.j

post-20604-0-62781100-1440521648_thumb.j

post-20604-0-79114400-1440521804_thumb.j

If you were asking in English then that was the problem. All the big stores have non slip tiles, they just don't understand English.

When we retired our bathroom with nonslip SWMBO ashes and we were immediately shown several different styles. post-44962-0-50167900-1440978637_thumb.j this is the ones we chose which were the most nonslip of them all.

If you were asking in English then that was the problem. All the big stores have non slip tiles, they just don't understand English.

! My wife speaks quite good Thai. I understand 'Mai mee' though.

When we retired our bathroom with nonslip SWMBO ashes and we were immediately shown several different styles. attachicon.gifimage.jpg this is the ones we chose which were the most nonslip of them all.

When we retired our bathroom with nonslip SWMBO ashes and we were immediately shown several different styles. attachicon.gifimage.jpg this is the ones we chose which were the most nonslip of them all.

Strange, but when I built my house all my tiles came from the usual suspects in Thailand, Home Pro - Home Mart - Kanyong, and my 4 bathrooms have all non slip tiles each in a different design. Some as cheap as 110 Bht/sqm.

Sorry to hear they don't have them anymore in Thailand now.coffee1.gif

Yes, great comment. Do you feel better now?

Yes, because it's clear that you're talking <deleted> when you say that home pro doesn't have anti slip tiles, as my post and those of other have proven.

What an unpleasant fellow you are. Maybe they didn't have on the day I went to Homepro or they didn't understand my wife's question.

Getting back to my original post: "I have looked for tiles that are specifically non-slip but haven't identified any yet. Any ideas, please?"

And later on I wrote "Thanks for that. I have walked around Home Pro and didn't see anything that was obviously non-slip" - not mentioning that I went again with my wife to another store and she asked directly. I never said that Homepro doesn't have any non slip tiles.

Yes, great comment. Do you feel better now?

Yes, because it's clear that you're talking <deleted> when you say that home pro doesn't have anti slip tiles, as my post and those of other have proven.

What an unpleasant fellow you are. Maybe they didn't have on the day I went to Homepro or they didn't understand my wife's question.

Getting back to my original post: "I have looked for tiles that are specifically non-slip but haven't identified any yet. Any ideas, please?"

And later on I wrote "Thanks for that. I have walked around Home Pro and didn't see anything that was obviously non-slip" - not mentioning that I went again with my wife to another store and she asked directly. I never said that Homepro doesn't have any non slip tiles.

What an unpleasant fellow you are.

Next time you're at Home pro buy a mirror as well. coffee1.gif

Hi cooked,

Not sure of your location but there is a company here in Phuket that have a couple of offices, they have anti - slip treatments & for a small area, may be able to ship to you.

Web address is www.tile-asia.com or email [email protected]

Hope this is some help.

CANDA

This place is owned by a Scotsman Alan Macalister and his Thai wife.

They originally started up in Bangkok (from my recollection he was sent to Thailand as the rep for a Spanish tile company) and then he opened a place in Phuket as there was a lot of business for swimming pool tiles there, especially non-slip. I see from the website there is still a Bangkok address.

Brighton Place, Soi Soonvijay 6, Petchburi Road, Huay Kwang

Tel: +66 (0)2 716 6216-8 Fax: +66 (0)2 716 6219

[email protected]

Archived