Foreigner robbed and beaten on Asoke Montri in Bangkok

webfact

So here I am sitting in the TV forum, nothing better to do than speculate about this that and the other and come to fantasy conclusions that have no basis in fact whatsoever. A guy got mugged, not nice. End of story. Leave your fantasies at home

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is amazing what theories have been put forward about why this man was assaulted, mostly blaming him, even thought the OP provides no clues at all as to the motive. It which might have been a random mugging and robbery that could happen to any of us.

I have nothing but contempt for posters suggesting that the guy in the picture is a robber or a troublemaker.

We don't know the whole story, but the OP states : Foreigner robbed and beaten.

It takes a narrow mind to judge without full knowledge of the facts.

Did they steal his shirt? Walk around without a shirt on then your going to draw attention to yourself.

What we know so far from the report is nothing more than what's been written.

Why do you presume he walked around without t-shirt, what if he took it off because it was covered with blood and/or it was a very expensive shirt/t-shirt?

Best way to seem ignorant is to jump into conclusions and speculate.

Edited by KamalaRider

I was obviously considered for a mugging as I came out of Bangkok Bank Emporium branch yesterday. I was in there about 30 minutes, came out and headed to the BTS staircase by Benjasiri park carrying a bag with my passport, bank book etc but no cash. As I was walking underneath the stairs to go up I noticed some shifty looking local guy was following me about a metre behind me, I sensed him so I stopped to let him past me. My girlfriend commented that he looked pretty dodgy and I agreed so we waited a few seconds and carried on. He was waiting for me at the bottom of the BTS steps. As I approached he moved out into my path so me and the gf both stopped and just looked at him (we commented/joked later that we both had a defiant/aggressive expression of "well come on then, if you're going to try and rob us then get on with it").

He stared at us a couple of seconds and turned his back and jogged off into Benjasiri Park. Very dodgy, almost certainly waiting outside for someone to leave the bank.

Not sure what happened to this guy on Asoke, but don't assume if you're doing nothing wrong then nothing will happen, especially in the current economic climate.

Why would the desperate not contemplate it when they know they will get little more than a slap on the wrist. It's surprising that it doesn't happen more frequently.

Even the beggars ( ie those who the govt was said to have moved into care some months ago and created a beggar free Bangkok) are cursing non givers these days. Soi 11 a case in point.

I'm afraid it will be happening more frequently as times are getting harder and harder in the LOS these days.

rolleyes.gif

drunk and maybe argued about his bill .... this can be the result .. !!

rolleyes.gif No shirt, ear ring, definitely looking for troubleblink.png

Maybe he looked like a bomber and these upstanding Thai gentlemen (or ladyboys) were just doing their civic duty.wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

Edited by Kru Baa

Did they steal his shirt? Walk around without a shirt on then your going to draw attention to yourself.

What we know so far from the report is nothing more than what's been written.

Why do you presume he walked around without t-shirt, what if he took it off because it was covered with blood and/or it was a very expensive shirt/t-shirt?

Best way to seem ignorant is to jump into conclusions and speculate.

SOme of the guys on here, it doesn't surprise me. My first thought is, yeah, I guess his t-shirt got ripped off in the attack.

But, a lot of others instantly assume he's a junkie, a drunk or whatever. He might be, but why is that always the first conclusion these discount sherlocks jump to?

Also, there may be some drunken jack-asses around, that I am also disgusted by from time to time, but that surely doesn't mean they deserve to get beaten and robbed.

When I finish up with work today and have the time to write and post my story about Friday night at the same location, I will also include a picture of the shirt I was wearing and shorts. That is, I will do so if my wife hasn't thrown them away. They were a bloody mess. I suspect that the same people may have been involved. I was also entering my car when it happened. The blood is still there.

I was obviously considered for a mugging as I came out of Bangkok Bank Emporium branch yesterday. I was in there about 30 minutes, came out and headed to the BTS staircase by Benjasiri park carrying a bag with my passport, bank book etc but no cash.

Why in the world would you carry such important things in a bag which could be snatched, dropped, etc.?

Carry them in your front or thigh velcro-sealed or zippered pockets (not back pockets). If you don't have pants or shorts with sealable pockets, get some!

I think I'd rather risk getting robbed than go out dressed like that.

I was obviously considered for a mugging as I came out of Bangkok Bank Emporium branch yesterday. I was in there about 30 minutes, came out and headed to the BTS staircase by Benjasiri park carrying a bag with my passport, bank book etc but no cash. As I was walking underneath the stairs to go up I noticed some shifty looking local guy was following me about a metre behind me, I sensed him so I stopped to let him past me. My girlfriend commented that he looked pretty dodgy and I agreed so we waited a few seconds and carried on. He was waiting for me at the bottom of the BTS steps. As I approached he moved out into my path so me and the gf both stopped and just looked at him (we commented/joked later that we both had a defiant/aggressive expression of "well come on then, if you're going to try and rob us then get on with it").

He stared at us a couple of seconds and turned his back and jogged off into Benjasiri Park. Very dodgy, almost certainly waiting outside for someone to leave the bank.

Not sure what happened to this guy on Asoke, but don't assume if you're doing nothing wrong then nothing will happen, especially in the current economic climate.

sure you haven't been watching the godfather too many times ..... whistling.gif

Nice one whistling.gif I was expecting some smartass comments from the usual TV bellends but expected better than that...

Just a warning for people, they can ignore it if they like. I've been full time in BKK 7 years now and that was the first time I've felt like I was being sized up for a robbery. GF felt exactly the same thing. This was 1pm in the afternoon.

+1 I have been in Bangkok for the past 26 years and only in the past few years have I experience a few junkies to follow me and strangely its always been Asoke and Nana. Most of the time they would come from the back when I am crossing the traffic light. Always good to be on alert. :)

plenty of thai's with no shirts in my area....especially in the morning.

so do they deserve a beating and robbery?

A few people commented on my, admittedly, poorly phrased reply.

No, it doesn't warrant a kicking at all if one chooses to walk around without a shirt.

The point I was trying to make was if you walk around without a shirt then you can make yourself a target to those looking for a target.

I'm thinking about a group of French guys in Mc D's yesterday who were all topless and getting Paddington hard stares off most of the patrons.

And, yes, it's entirely feasible that his shirt got ripped off or he took it off due to blood.

Also, Mr Swifty, you are right Sir, I am not a fighter. Well not these days.

After reading the form for the last 4 years , I think some of the people who post comments are as Naive as they portend the Thais to be!... I was jumped by 3 guys about 2 years ago!... And yes it was mid afternoon on sukhumvit!... Your day will come!

Why would the desperate not contemplate it when they know they will get little more than a slap on the wrist. It's surprising that it doesn't happen more frequently.

Even the beggars ( ie those who the govt was said to have moved into care some months ago and created a beggar free Bangkok) are cursing non givers these days. Soi 11 a case in point.

Indeed. One of the great things about living here is how rare these types of muggings are. Unlike London!

I don't think you will get a lone Thai guy wanting to do you any harm unless he had some sort of backup nearby.

So, maybe, he was drunk, a thief, a junky, a bar balker, said something wrong, didn't have his shirt on, argued over his bill, is a scumbag....... Why so cynical, Maybe he is totally innocent and was the victim of a crime, who had to remove his shirt because it was covered in blood after being half ripped off his back. If it was one of you or a friend or relative, would you still be on here dishing the dirt on someone who is already down on their luck

sure you haven't been watching the godfather too many times ..... whistling.gif

Nice one whistling.gif I was expecting some smartass comments from the usual TV bellends but expected better than that...

Just a warning for people, they can ignore it if they like. I've been full time in BKK 7 years now and that was the first time I've felt like I was being sized up for a robbery. GF felt exactly the same thing. This was 1pm in the afternoon.

And where was he going to rob you? In broad daylight with loads of people around.

I've been here 7 years too, I'm glad I've not become as paranoid as you.