VPN speed

Becker

I have just started using a vpn (HMA) and the speed is sometimes greatly reduced. Using the ping test in the HMA program it looks like Bangkok, Thailand is the best server to connect to, but sometime when I do that the connection speed slows to almost zero.

I have tested the speed the following way using speedtest.net (using a 3BB 620 Baht/month package):

Connected to Bangkok server. Gave up after 5-10 minutes because the page wouldn't load.

Connected to a France/virtual USA server: Ping 515/down 5.49/up 0.29

Disconnected VPN and the website chose the server giving the lowest ping which was 0.29 ms/down 10.82/up 0.52

What can I do to increase the speed? According to HMA's FAQ it's suggested that I set a different VPN protocol (OpenVPN <> PPTP <> L2TP) and test again. But I have also read that some protocols are way less secure than others.

Any suggestions?

Yes, I use Ironsocket and I find that the Singapore server is faster than Bangkok. I don't know about your VPN but with mine the encryption level can be changed from strong 256bit to lite 128bit to none at all. None being the fastest speed. I use 256 bit for banking, 128 bit for normal web surfing and no encryption for streaming and torrenting.

OpenVPN is the most secure protocol.

PPTP is the weakest only 128 bit.

I only use OpenVPN.

Edited by Pakaty