Air Con Re-Charge Cost

jeffandgop

We were charged 500 baht for a full aircon servicing. They disassembled both the inside and outside units for two air conditioners, cleaned and re-filled the gas on both, then checked that the thermostat was reading correctly.

Same here.

Thanks Ezzra for providing an answer to the specific question of the price for gas

I am having my air con units serviced and will need to pay for topping off/filling the depleted freon gas....If you have had to add gas to your units what price per kilo or per pound of gas were your charged?

Refrigeration gas does not deplete. If you need gas you have a leak, get it fixed first or your wasting your money. Cars need to be refilled because of the rubber "O" rings used and constant movement of the engine etc. Home units should NEVER need gassing

Thanks but I am asking for what anyone has been charged for gas only.

dude , same price .....<deleted> ? if you are counting just gas and labor how does the tech make money ? it takes all of 5 min to fill with gas . maybe you should just forget the a/c and spend more time at happy hour at cheap charlies , being one .

Thanks Ezzra for providing an answer to the specific question of the price for gas

I am having my air con units serviced and will need to pay for topping off/filling the depleted freon gas....If you have had to add gas to your units what price per kilo or per pound of gas were your charged?

Refrigeration gas does not deplete. If you need gas you have a leak, get it fixed first or your wasting your money. Cars need to be refilled because of the rubber "O" rings used and constant movement of the engine etc. Home units should NEVER need gassing

yea .... he said true

My AC guy charge me 30 baht ' a pound ' of gas, a full recharge of an average AC is about 3,000 baht....

im afraid you got ripped off mate.

500฿ is the standard cost per domestic unit, if they don't re-gas it then they haven't done a proper job

Edited by Porkster

My AC guy charge me 30 baht ' a pound ' of gas, a full recharge of an average AC is about 3,000 baht....

I assume there is a decimal point missing there. Average AC unit holds 4-6 pounds. A large, 3 ton (36,000 BTU) from 6-12 pounds.

We were charged 500 baht for a full aircon servicing. They disassembled both the inside and outside units for two air conditioners, cleaned and re-filled the gas on both, then checked that the thermostat was reading correctly.

if ya gotta ask how much ... ya cant afford it ....

if ya gotta ask how much ... ya cant afford it ....

drinking 5 bhat cheaper beer every day for 6 years 4 months and 3 days will save you enough will safe you enough to buy breakfast at bradmans .

I used a shop nearby my home and always they would charge a topping off fee. When back in the USA speaking to friend of a friend and he works with air heat units. He told me in no uncertain terms that aircondition are a closed unit and do not need to topped of unless there is a leak. So these little bits they supposedly add are doing nothing except maybe replacing what leaks out when they hook up the tank to refill it. Changed to an independent guy and he had only refilled once after a leak. I do not remember what it was for the refill. Suggest you Google your make and model and see what the manufacturer suggest.

Will depend on it using R-22 or R410. But, as others have stated, it indicates a leak. Auto compressors can go decades without refrigerant, also. However, the compressor life of an auto a/c is much less. One of the old automakers used to actually put the leak finder fluid in the unit at the factory.

Exactly. We haven't needed gas in any of our A/C's in more than 6 years. You only need gas if there is a leak.

Car, per the above....once a year.

I was wanting to ask whether some above normal service work had been done, like replacement of seals or something, or a protective release valve had been replaced. But apparently we are only supposed to talk of the price of gas.... which I did know because I refilled a unit twice before before I threw the leaking POS out!

Edited by jacko45k

Anyone agonising over a few hundred baht servicing charge for aircon should turn it off and buy a fan. Mitsu or Hitachi maybe expensive, but any brand with a name like "Happy Lucky Frog" should be cheap.

It's 2,500 and nobody's agonising as far as I can tell.