Gravy Mix

hellyes2oo2

I am running short on gravy granuals, i usually have to make a 200km round trip to gary's in Prassat to buy more. But yesterday in Makro in Sisaket I noticed that there was a kilo tub of what the thais call brown sauce mix. It is made by the company that has a similar logo to Knorr, does anyone know if this is a proper gravy mix.

That gravy is decent. Just mix with water and boil. Much better is the ready to eat gravy in a plastic bag, found in the cooler next to the sausages and cheese in Makro.

I use the ready to eat Makro gravy too and think it does the trick well, but usually add a touch of vinegar though, to sharpen the taste a little, just to suit me personally.

I have never checked the ingredients - they don't bother my stomach so I don't bother them.

Take a look at the ingredients which will probably show a high % of MSG. If you have no problem using this product (opinions vary) then it may suit you more than the 200km road trip.

Too salty for my taste so I binned mine years ago.

..........Hello Mate...........Have u tried Xonax's one in the bag from Makro............Does that have msg too?

Take a look at the ingredients which will probably show a high % of MSG. If you have no problem using this product (opinions vary) then it may suit you more than the 200km road trip.

..........Hello Mate...........Have u tried Xonax's one in the bag from Makro............Does that have msg too?

Dunno T., you Knor where mine comes from!

Dunno T., you Knor where mine comes from!

All the way from Glorious....pissing down with rain today....Devon...........cool.png

Why not make your own, it’s easy enough and it tastes better.

Just boil up some pork or chicken bones with a little salt for a couple of hours and strain it off. This is a basic stock.

I usually freeze mine in small quantities and take it out when needed.

To make gravy from the stock, add any seasonings (garlic, onion, herbs or such like) and thicken it with cornflour.

If you really must have a brown colour, add a teaspoon or 2 of dark soy.

Gravy is one of the simplest things to make yourself.

Pan drippings (fried or roasted), some milk, flour, water, seasoning. I don't care for the dried mix...

a one minute proposition (after you have roasted or fried your meat). Make it one time, store in plastic bags...flat...in the freezer. Make 10 bags of single serving.

I do this with lots of sauces, gravies, soup bases. You can slice up the roasted (or fried) pork and chicken...and freeze those slices separately too. A microwave comes in handy.

I am teaching the wife how to prepare bulk food and freeze...for quick service in her restaurant. I keep almost nothing more than a week..(in the freezer)...but it would last longer.

That gravy is decent. Just mix with water and boil. Much better is the ready to eat gravy in a plastic bag, found in the cooler next to the sausages and cheese in Makro.

Agree ... 79B for 1 kg. can also get as pepper-sauce (they spell it paper ...) but remember to mix with some milk as its quite salty - I like the Pepper-sauce best

If you want something like Bisto, then there are farang speciality shops that will EMS. I don't want to name names to avoid showing a bias, but with EMS internal in Thailand being inexpensive, it could be cheaper than the fuel you use to go buy yourself. Then again if you need commercial quantities then the Makro style option may prove much more efficient.

Just boil up some pork or chicken bones with a little salt for a couple of hours and strain it off. This is a basic stock.

To make gravy from the stock, add any seasonings (garlic, onion, herbs or such like) and thicken it with cornflour.

Thank you.

The comment made by the O/P "...if this is a proper gravy mix." made me shudder. Surely "a proper gravy mix" is an oxymoron.

Or add Worcestershire sauce.

Would agree though... make your own far better tasting, AND you know what's gone into it.

Villa Market sells Bisto (regular, onion,,,and turkey flavour--sometimes). They used to sell Oxo, but my branch has not had it for 3-4 months. However, they always have Marmite (and Vegemite). I use the Bisto granules with a half teaspoon of Marmite and maybe some meat juices if not fatty. My mother always used Bisto and Oxo together. Having no Oxo is boring. Real chefs and purists make their own. In France, many households used to keep a stockpot going for weeks, with bones and bits of meat, herbs etc and just pour off when a sauce or gravy was needed, or a soup base.

My Villa branch has had Princes Corned Beef (s and l sizes) for about a year. If you like corned beef sandwiches, nice.

(which, by the way, is boiled brisket and salt--there is no corn in it, and never has been)

Eddy

I have an oven...and let that pork roast sizzle to a crispy crust (pre fry) before putting the cast iron pan down below..for roasting.

After taking the roast out of the pan, I drain the excessive fat, but leave the bits and pieces of scrapings for my gravy.

Yes...do add some stock, and then mix a tablespoon of flour Into a 1/3 cup of milk. Disolve that first...then add to the pan drippings and stock. Boile one minute and add salt and pepper. I love garlic..and roast that whole with my pork...then squeeze out the roasted garlic into the gravy as well.

Archived