Maesai Border Open

Hello Everyone,

Have been reading this site for a very long time now, but up until this point have not made any posts.

Just to confirm the Mae Sai border is now open, i have seen several foreigners walk through and renew their visas today.

However they also now have the new visa regulations printed and posted on the window and my understanding is that it counts FROM the 1st October and not before. Effective being the key word.

Anyways hope this is of help to everyone, especially those living in the north of the country.

:o

be well advised to carry 10,000 baht just in case the bean bag at the Thai re-entry asks. If you're dressed in suit and tie, you're less likely to get asked to show money. It must be baht cash - not bank book or credit card, or s&h green stamps. I think it's a 20,000 baht requirement if coming in on a 90 day renewal.

Maybe in 900 years or so SE Asia will mature to the point of having paperless borders like Europe. ....or maybe they'll maintain their balkanized mentality until the sun goes supernova.

be well advised to carry 10,000 baht just in case the bean bag at the Thai re-entry asks. If you're dressed in suit and tie, you're less likely to get asked to show money. It must be baht cash - not bank book or credit card, or s&h green stamps. I think it's a 20,000 baht requirement if coming in on a 90 day renewal.

Maybe in 900 years or so SE Asia will mature to the point of having paperless borders like Europe. ....or maybe they'll maintain their balkanized mentality until the sun goes supernova.

Do you have recent experince of having to to show 10KB recently?

If yes, when?

thank you :o

Re the show money at Maisai border - I have been here for 6 years on a marriage visa (Thai wife) and have never been asked to show the 20,000 baht cash. I always dress well and I speak fluent Thai, but my wife says they only ask the odd farang and usually those with a lot of stamps. Guess that may change now though. I do know one expat teacher who was asked for the 10 g's - he did not have it but bluffed his way in ! Good luck all !

Edited by peterdigger

I don't think they ever ask people with Non-Imm's

I was asked one time and showed a Thai Bankbook updated the same day with FAR more than the req'd funds

<They were expressly ordered to allow traveller's checks to be presented as proof ....

Edited by jdinasia

Myanmar border reopens at Mae Sai; trading brisk

CHIANG RAI: -- Mae Sai border trading in the northern province of Chiang Rai returned to its normal busy level after Myanmar authorities reopened the border checkpoint Sunday evening.

After four days of closure, businesses on both sides of the Thai-Myanmar border appeared quite busy as nationals from both sides of the river trying to make up for lost business opportunity.

Third Cavalry Regiment soldiers attached to Pha Muang Task Force stood guard at the Mae Sai border checkpoint, watching for drug-trafficking suspects who might otherwise slip into Thailand across the now more-relaxed border.

--TNA 2006-09-25