Unregistered Thai mobile numbers to be terminated from 1 Oct

webfact

Unregistered mobile numbers to be terminated from 1 Oct

sim.jpg
File photo. Source: Internet

BANGKOK, 26 August 2015 (NNT) – Mobile carriers have been ordered to notify users of 3.6m unregistered mobile numbers regarding cellular service termination, prior to the deadline on 1 October 2015, NBTC Secretary-General says.

The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) Secretary-General Takorn Tantasith has revealed that all unregistered mobile numbers in pre-paid services will be permanently terminated on 1 October 2015.

He has said that the NBTC today ordered mobile service carriers to notify their unregistered users via text message regarding the number's termination, prior to 1 September 2015, stating that service providers are legally required to notify mobile phone users 30 days before the termination of unregistered numbers commence.

Unregistered numbers can only receive calls and dial emergency service numbers, while making normal calls and internet access will be disabled. Users can still register their numbers within August 2015 to regain full cellular functionalities.

The NBTC Secretary-General has said that carriers and service providers who fail to comply to the order will face penalties according to the NBTC regulations. The Secretary-General highlights this crucial duty, as the neglect on this number registration could lead to national security issues, in the wake of the bombing incident.

The penalties for carriers failing to comply to the directive will include a 0.1 percent fine of their annual income for any acts against NBTC’s order, 0.3 percent fine for acts from users who are affecting public benefits, and 0.5 percent for acts that are considered unfair towards competitors.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-08-26 footer_n.gif

I would have thought that considering that the bombers most likely used mobile phones as a triggering devises these unregistered sims would have been cut off immediately.

Wasn't that the reason stated that a prior extension was cancelled?

Mobile operators told to notify 3.6 million unregistered users before services halted

13-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Mobile phone operators were yesterday ordered by the national regulator to notify their 3.6 million prepaid mobile users still not registered to register by end of September before their services are halted.

The regulator’s order came as the deadline for prepaid users will end September 30.

Secretary-general of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) Mr Takorn Tantasith said all unregistered mobile numbers in pre-paid services will be put out of services beginning October 1 if they are not registered.

But before this goes into effect, the NBTC yesterday ordered all mobile operators to notify their unregistered users via text message 30 days before the termination of unregistered numbers begins.

After the deadline, unregistered numbers can only receive calls and dial emergency service numbers, while making normal calls and internet access will be disabled.

He warned that mobile operator which fails to comply to the order will face penalties according to the NBTC regulations.

He said the registration is necessary with regard to national security issues, in the wake of the bombing incident.

Penalties include a 0.1% fine of their annual income for any acts against NBTC’s order, 0.3 % fine for acts from users who are affecting public benefits, and 0.5 % for acts that are considered unfair towards competitors.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/mobile-operators-told-to-notify-3-6-million-unregistered-users-before-services-halted

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-26

Mobile operators told to notify 3.6 million unregistered users before services halted

13-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Mobile phone operators were yesterday ordered by the national regulator to notify their 3.6 million prepaid mobile users still not registered to register by end of September before their services are halted.

The regulator’s order came as the deadline for prepaid users will end September 30.

Secretary-general of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) Mr Takorn Tantasith said all unregistered mobile numbers in pre-paid services will be put out of services beginning October 1 if they are not registered.

But before this goes into effect, the NBTC yesterday ordered all mobile operators to notify their unregistered users via text message 30 days before the termination of unregistered numbers begins.

After the deadline, unregistered numbers can only receive calls and dial emergency service numbers, while making normal calls and internet access will be disabled.

He warned that mobile operator which fails to comply to the order will face penalties according to the NBTC regulations.

He said the registration is necessary with regard to national security issues, in the wake of the bombing incident.

Penalties include a 0.1% fine of their annual income for any acts against NBTC’s order, 0.3 % fine for acts from users who are affecting public benefits, and 0.5 % for acts that are considered unfair towards competitors.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/mobile-operators-told-to-notify-3-6-million-unregistered-users-before-services-halted

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-08-26

although this may help towards internal issues anyone that wants to avoid this registration simply needs a foreign sim card on roaming, a little more expensive but avoids the registration completely, you may also have people registering with false id which again negates any security advantage - in other words it is all pointless

This is going to upset a friend of mine who lives abroad and has 10 years worth of hookers numbers stored on his sim.

He should still be OK - the contacts function will still work but he will need to use another phone/SIM to make the call. :-) That said, at the rate of turnover of phones/SIMs amongst the ladies, 90% plus of the numbers are probably dead anyway.

...a hopelessly thought out idea by the powers that be.....

1. Told by them you can register your sim at any 7/11........BS....7/11 staff don't have a clue about this even when you speak Thai to them.

2. (As a poster has already mentioned.....)....people coming in from overseas with a mobile setup for international roaming... what then...??

3. (As another poster mentioned a month ago....)....the security guard as his building was doing a roaring trade at 100b a phone and taking apartment dwellers phones to be registered...using his Thai id card to provide the details for the registration process...????!!!

...and no doubt there will have been/are a lot of other dubious "registrations"

Exactly what is the NBTC trying to achieve...??

1. Told by them you can register your sim at any 7/11........BS....7/11 staff don't have a clue about this even when you speak Thai to them.

2. (As a poster has already mentioned.....)....people coming in from overseas with a mobile setup for international roaming... what then...??

3. (As another poster mentioned a month ago....)....the security guard as his building was doing a roaring trade at 100b a phone and taking apartment dwellers phones to be registered...using his Thai id card to provide the details for the registration process...????!!!

"BS" I have done so and I know others that have registered at 7/11 so please don't generalise. Also, whilst there will always be a way around these things I.e 'pay as you go', in general people have a phone that is registered in their home country and the network 'links' mean they can be traced. Thinking about it, maybe this PAYG system should be scrapped altogether? Hmmmm... A contentious issue perhaps, what do you think? As for the guy registering other people's number with his ID card, a good way to earn a few $$ but if the shit hits the fan he'll be in trubs. Well he should be, but then this is Thailand 5555

facepalm.gif Why are Thai people so dumb.......they ALL have mobiles which are a bloody nuisance in fact they treat them like their baby.

YET, although being told many times thousands upon thousands have not Registered!

Yes, the earlier comment about a security risk is also very important.

I hope they don't extend the deadline...as is usual here.

I would have thought that considering that the bombers most likely used mobile phones as a triggering devises these unregistered sims would have been cut off immediately.

Dont worry the uregistered simms will still be able to recieve calls making them perfect for triggering devices.

"BS" I have done so and I know others that have registered at 7/11 so please don't generalise. Also, whilst there will always be a way around these things I.e 'pay as you go', in general people have a phone that is registered in their home country and the network 'links' mean they can be traced. Thinking about it, maybe this PAYG system should be scrapped altogether? Hmmmm... A contentious issue perhaps, what do you think? As for the guy registering other people's number with his ID card, a good way to earn a few $$ but if the shit hits the fan he'll be in trubs. Well he should be, but then this is Thailand 5555

Oh no sorry I lost that phone, no trouble!

"How will they handle roaming phones, i.e. people coming in from abroad, maybe with an unregistered SIM card from their country but which has roaming?"

It only applies to Thai SIM cards. Each country determines its own registration policy.

My concern is my Thai SIM card I have had for a number of years and which I registered before leaving last April and the registration confirmed may not actually have been registered for when we return in November. I am going to contact AIS to confirm it now in view of the mess the system appears to be in.

facepalm.gif Why are Thai people so dumb.......they ALL have mobiles which are a bloody nuisance in fact they treat them like their baby.

YET, although being told many times thousands upon thousands have not Registered!

Yes, the earlier comment about a security risk is also very important.

I hope they don't extend the deadline...as is usual here.

Everyone was told months ago. When the deadline passed, anyone who had not registered should have been immediately cut off. Too much pussyfooting around in Thailand. !