Top postings merit based, says Prayut

webfact

Top postings merit based, says Prayut
WIRAJ SRIPONG
THE NATION

30267442-01_big.jpg

OFFICIALS NOT CHOSEN TO EMPOWER JUNTA, HE SAYS, BUT TO PROTECT NATION'S INTERESTS

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER Prayut Chan-o-cha said the recent appointment of top bureaucrats to administrative roles in the government was based on merit, not with the intention of holding on to power.

He made his comments yesterday after completing his reshuffle of the Cabinet.

"The list of names is according to that provided [by different state agencies]. [This group of people] has not been selected with the purpose of sharing power. They haven't been selected to protect me. It is better to protect the country's interests," said the prime minister.

Prayut added that the selection of this new group of administrative cadres was based on merit.

The prime minister also urged media not to pay too much attention to the statements of some groups of politicians. He highlighted the fact that many had not even taken peoples' interests into account while they were in power.

When asked whether his brother, General Preecha Chan-o-cha, would be appointed as Army chief, the premier would neither confirm nor deny the possibility.

The prime minister responded to the question by saying "there would be no problem if it happened that [my] brother was appointed. If it was someone else, there would also be no problem."

As for the appointment of military officers in different roles, such as at the National Security Council, the premier had no opposition to this. He said that the appointment of the new secretary general of the NRC would be done in an appropriate manner. The new NRC chief would be a person who fitted well with the job.

In a similar development, the PM also placed emphasis on the fact that military officers who assumed administrative posts understood their roles in the current situation.

"The military nowadays is unlike that of the old days. I conduct administrative tasks in a holistic manner by listening to [all] advice. When an issue requires consultation, I consult. When the issue needs to have a clear instruction, I would not hesitate to give the order," Prayut said.

At the same time, the PM highlighted that the new Cabinet would ensure the continuity of policies and would place emphasis on gaining more concrete results from every aspect.

"The previous Cabinet has laid ground rules in terms of principles, regulations as well as [physical and institutional] infrastructure. Most of the work was conducted following guidelines of the previous government. In the meantime, the new Cabinet will place more emphasis on actionable and concrete plans according to the roadmap," he said.

The previous and current Cabinets would work in close cooperation, Prayut said.

He added that every ministry would work in a holistic manner. The Foreign Ministry would have to work in parallel with other ministries to boost trade relations and improve Thailand's image worldwide.

"So far, the foreign community understands the situation in the country and has no problem in engaging with Thailand," said Prayut, adding that it was only his military title that prevented some countries from normalising ties with the Kingdom.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Top-postings-merit-based-says-Prayut-30267442.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-26

If you think things will ever change in Thailand. You have not lived here long enough..........This is there system. Decades and decades of the same playbook. Sometimes the players change.....but not as often as can make any diffrence.

"They haven't been selected to protect me. It is better to protect the country's interests," said the prime minister."

I wonder if "the country's interests" and "protect me" are identical in his mind.....? He is the savior, isn't he?

Perhaps mistranslated "merit" with "making merit"? Which in this case would be brown envelopes left at shrine in reception?

Would be interesting if some industrious TV member could dig up CV of his cabinet and see how well they match duties of ministers... dear leader says based on merit, so can we see what sort of merit this latest batch has?

The fact that he feels the need to defend the appointments at the outset, speaks volumes.

Maybe he reads TVF and knows he will cop lots of flak from lots of posters. biggrin.png

But you are right, the appointment should not have to be defended. If it was appropriate. whistling.gif

Didn't his brother just get a big promotion?

Sort of, he missed out on the job as army chief but got the consolation prise as head of the defence department. I think this is what is not being said in this article.
Which whilst not as prestigious is a very useful job to have the "right" person in over the long term.

Didn't his brother just get a big promotion?

Sort of, he missed out on the job as army chief but got the consolation prise as head of the defence department. I think this is what is not being said in this article.

Probably a far more lucrative posting. Beyond belief he got any posting at all. Nepotism is alive and well, so much for reform.

"They haven't been selected to protect me. It is better to protect the country's interests," said the prime minister."

I wonder if "the country's interests" and "protect me" are identical in his mind.....? He is the savior, isn't he?

Perhaps mistranslated "merit" with "making merit"? Which in this case would be brown envelopes left at shrine in reception?

Would be interesting if some industrious TV member could dig up CV of his cabinet and see how well they match duties of ministers... dear leader says based on merit, so can we see what sort of merit this latest batch has?

You PM bashers are forgetting, it does happen in Thailand this position filling by the PM is not such a joke,

NON ELECTED Yingluck Placed in position by he brother.

PM Yingluck..... APPOINTED as Defense Minister ??? who appointed her ??? herself.

This is an example ----BUT this was outrageous. So all you bashers really have to look at the real history. PTP cabinet ??? think about it guys, The minister responsible admitted after the floods he should have released water from the dams earlier, to stop the majority of water and flooding.

Most of you bashers have short memories, and much of this is nit picking.

I read something in another topic about Gen Preecha Chan-o-cha, who is a brother of the PM, being given the post of Permanent Secretary of the Defense Ministry.

* Note the emphasis on the word "permanent". biggrin.png

I read something in another topic about Gen Preecha Chan-o-cha, who is a brother of the PM, being given the post of Permanent Secretary of the Defense Ministry.

Is a very experienced army man and usually would have a fair idea. But only P secretary to the defense minister------(Yingluck WAS the defense minister) cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Is a very experienced army man and usually would have a fair idea. But only P secretary to the defense minister------(Yingluck WAS the defense minister) cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Ginjock, what you know about the RTA can probably be written on the back of a stamp, and keep up the good work reminding us about the Shins.

You PM bashers are forgetting, it does happen in Thailand this position filling by the PM is not such a joke,

PM Yingluck..... APPOINTED as Defense Minister ??? who appointed her ??? herself.

This is an example ----BUT this was outrageous. So all you bashers really have to look at the real history. PTP cabinet ??? think about it guys, The minister responsible admitted after the floods he should have released water from the dams earlier, to stop the majority of water and flooding.

Why do you always feel all PM "bashers" are for "Thaksin and goons®" ?

An incredible guy said once : two wrongs not make one right... I think this sentence should be written above every forum threads, just yu know, we can criticize but not say "oh yeah but do you remember what he did at the time?...."

You seems to have lost all memories as well...

Please let me know which party was elected the most and which party was EVERY TIME appointed in the last decade?

Ginjock, what you know about the RTA can probably be written on the back of a stamp, and keep up the good work reminding us about the Shins.

Maybe if you read right--it is Ginjag. do your research better---------and please inform me of what I am not aware---RTA, I did get the idea that it was close to the position needed.

My SHINS reminder brings to light positions selected before---just to compare---as at the time we did not have this minority slaggers of the present PM slagging of Yingluck. and her positions and her choice of cabinet.

Please get my drift, What previous mega blunders were made would need a hell of a lot more paper than a postage stamp.----This is how we learn, by past mistakes, so recent history is important we do not have to be in denial.

Why do you always feel all PM "bashers" are for "Thaksin and goons®" ?

An incredible guy said once : two wrongs not make one right... I think this sentence should be written above every forum threads, just yu know, we can criticize but not say "oh yeah but do you remember what he did at the time?...."

You seems to have lost all memories as well...

Please let me know which party was elected the most and which party was EVERY TIME appointed in the last decade?

Which party in the last decade have been thrown out---or disgraced the most ?? through corrupt governing. thought you were impartial.

Most bashers seem to be reincarnated names on TVF--- most are pro PTP. and to save face are now using the Army PM. to let out their frustration. NOT ALL i agree.

ALL the worlds countries learn from previous wrongs---if you do not agree you are in denial re--the last shambles.

Hopefully we do not repeat the rice---school tablet--amnesty vote at 4am----get my drift........And as you pointed out Shins have been in power most in the last decade or so---and inevitably they will be the base to improve on.

46 posts George. nothing wrong with that. have you been around a long time ??

Edited by ginjag

What are you on about?

Political parties choose their own leaders like Barack Obama, David Cameron etc. etc.

The public then vote in the party, which the Thai voters did; both with Thaksin and Yingluck.

Whether you like, or, don't like that result is irrelevant.

What are you on about?

Political parties choose their own leaders like Barack Obama, David Cameron etc. etc.

The public then vote in the party, which the Thai voters did; both with Thaksin and Yingluck.

Whether you like, or, don't like that result is irrelevant.

Yingluck was appointed by her brother to run the country for him---GET IT.

My post was about qualification for the job.

Nice try to divert the point---you naturally wanted to avoid.

So what is your contribution apart from giving a small moral boost to your minority of TVF members that are continually bashing the PM.

Did you agree with any of my points---example last defense Minister cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif The last water management Minister floodscheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif The last education Minister tabletscheesy.gifcheesy.gif You would not like to comment so I would suggest you have an agenda to stick to.

POINT being LEARN from the previous LOT.........................we will be able to do that after the PM steps down this time.......following ??? thats what I'm on about.