Do you bribe your wife?

lostoday

So anyway... to OP. How do you know that there is no power to superstition? You know that almost everything that was taught to you at school will be proved wrong if it hasn't already?...

Why? because most of what they teach in school as facts, is really just the currently accepted beliefs that are based on the not so solid foundation of assumptions.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Wrong.

Science has now proved beyond doubt many, many things that will not be disproved in the future.

Far too many things to mention here.

Also, for those that believe, or have faith in something that science cannot prove, the onus is on the believer to prove it exists; not on science to disprove it.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So anyway... to OP. How do you know that there is no power to superstition? You know that almost everything that was taught to you at school will be proved wrong if it hasn't already?...

Why? because most of what they teach in school as facts, is really just the currently accepted beliefs that are based on the not so solid foundation of assumptions.

Such as?

I think the point of the whole thing is its absolutely wrong to questions anothers beliefs in a demeaning manner. Its not a debate about whether spirits exist or not. If you wish to give a person an alternative view for their consideration that's ok. Far too much in Thailand is passed off as cultural. I believe this is a cultural thing and as we live in a different culture these beliefs are to be respected. Apologize to the girl and get on with Ur lives

We all have our weaknesses.

This thread isn't about me, though, is it?

Dunno. Are you someone's wife?

or bitch?

Great discussing skills.

I am impressed.

it's SB supposed intellectual friend who can't spell haha. Who cares if ur impressed? You didn't use CAPS this time demanding answers? You popped Ur head up demanding examples and u got some pretty damn good ones. And that's Ur reply? If you choose to engage in a battle of wits I suggest u don't arrive unarmed.

You are right about 1 thing though: I can not perfectly spell every language that I speak.

How many languages do you speak? How is your spelling in all those languages?

You've worn that come back out! 3 times now in various posts. You were a lorry driver in a previous life and have come here to reinvent yourself as a Doctor of philosophy and multi linguist haven't you?

You are right about 1 thing though: I can not perfectly spell every language that I speak.

How many languages do you speak? How is your spelling in all those languages?

You've worn that come back out! 3 times now in various posts. You were a lorry driver in a previous life and have come here to reinvent yourself as a Doctor of philosophy and multi linguist haven't you?

Yes.

The only one of those that is based on a solid foundation is mathematics because it is 100% man made. So it's the only thing we truly understand. But it's man made. Of course geometry is built on mathmatics.

Evolution is fact only in that we know for sure the things we design evolve. That's what technology is, it's evolution of design. Not evolution of something magically created by chance. And we use our experience of evolution of our designs to try to explain life on this planet. You probably believe it proves that the idea of creation is wrong. The reality is it indicates that the universe is evolving by design. Design = creation. If it was proven it wouldn't be called the theory of evolution.

Newton's law's, relativity and palaeontology all based on an extrapolation of a tiny amount of known data taken from a snap shot of one hundred years, extrapolated across millions of years looking from within a model of the current conditions based on the assumption that these conditions are ordered.

Your theory of evolution is based on the opposite assumption of chaos.

Darwin didn't think it was proven beyond doubt, or he would have called it the Facts of evolution not the Theory of evolution.

Everything that is called a theory is so because it is based on assumptions.... but you somehow missed that

Everything that you think you know is based on the dreams and fantasy of educated men and you follow it blindly with closed mind because you mistakenly believe it as fact.

We live in a sand box and although we are getting pretty good at manipulating the sand to make some amazing things with the sand, we cannot and will not, ever be able to make the sand.

Evolution.

Genetics.

Newtons Laws.

Relativity.

Palaeontology.

Embryology.

Geophsics.

Geometry.

Mathematics.

Chemistry.

And on and on and on.

Geddit?

Evolution - Theory, not proven.

Creationism - alternative to Evolution, not proven either.

Newton's Laws - in doubt, MoND (Modified Newtonian Dynamics or Dark Matter is the current ambiguity)

Relativity - not proven.

Palaeontology - might just have been put there by God for fun.

Maths - which part? loads of theoretical math around.

Global Warming - did you forget that one.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

The only one of those that is based on a solid foundation is mathematics because it is 100% man made. So it's the only thing we truly understand. But it's man made. Of course geometry is built on mathmatics.

Evolution is fact only in that we know for sure the things we design evolve. That's what technology is, it's evolution of design. Not evolution of something magically created by chance. And we use our experience of evolution of our designs to try to explain life on this planet. You probably believe it proves that the idea of creation is wrong. The reality is it indicates that the universe is evolving by design. Design = creation. If it was proven it wouldn't be called the theory of evolution.

Newton's law's, relativity and palaeontology all based on an extrapolation of a tiny amount of known data taken from a snap shot of one hundred years, extrapolated across millions of years looking from within a model of the current conditions based on the assumption that these conditions are ordered.

Darwin didn't think it was proven beyond doubt, or he would have called it the Facts of evolution not the Theory of evolution.

Everything that is called a theory is so because it is based on assumptions.... but you somehow missed that

Everything that you think you know is based on the dreams and fantasy of educated men and you follow it blindly with closed mind because you mistakenly believe it as fact.

We live in a sand box and although we are getting pretty good at manipulating the sand to make some amazing things with the sand, we cannot and will not, ever be able to make the sand.

Who are you talking to and what are you talking about? My wife believes some people are due more respect than others as a birth right. I believe everyone is deserving of respect until proven otherwise.

Who are you talking to and what are you talking about? My wife believes some people are due more respect than others as a birth right. I believe everyone is deserving of respect until proven otherwise.
Do I need to quote a post for it to be obvious who I'm replying to? When I was talking to you I put OP, but you ignored that question and the conversation moved on without you

1. The post is nonsense (so no response). 2. I was not writing about superstition. 3. I learned how to think in school, I have a degree in Logic among others.

1. I have seen four million crows, and they have all been black.

2. Odds are good that the next crow I see will be black.

That idea has not changed much in the past 2000 years.

And to your last question, yes you have to use the quote function or we will not know who you are talking to.

Edited by lostoday

I angered my wife by a chance remark about Thainess, telling her to grow up and smell the roses; we are not living in some kind of fantasy land where superstition and tradition take the place of reason and reality.

My point is; now I am debating how to get out of the dog house. Do I bribe her with food and shopping or do I just let it ride and fester and maybe lead to a full scale argument and end in me leaving?

I must have misread your original post I thought you were dismissing superstition as fantasy that is not in keeping with your superior knowledge of logic and reason.

So by your reasoning white crows can't exist? So Darwin was wrong? Mutations don't exist?

You prove my point. Focusing on 4,000,000 crows would cause an inconclusive and incorrect assumption. The 4,000,001 crow might be green or white, but then you would argue that it is not a crow just to satisfy your logic.

Truth is no crows are actually black, certainly not in the uk anyway.

Stop trolling. I wrote, "1. I have seen four million crows, and they have all been black.

2. Odds are good that the next crow I see will be black."

I said nothing about white crows not existing.

Logic is the study of reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity.

The study of logic does not change much as you would know if you had any formal education in logic. Try reading on the internet if you have an interest in it.

My wife and I had an argument about her view of society which is similar to the superstition and fantasy of the knights of the round table in Camelot.

She was an angry Thai woman. How do you deal with an angry Thai woman. It has nothing to do with what made her angry. Get it?

Friend of mine swears by locking his wife in the bathroom for 20 minutes to cool off when she throws a ying tang :-)

Edited by Kenny202

I SAID:

So if I understand correctly, you carry your wife's groceries?

HER groceries?

How kind of you.

REPLY WAS:

No - you do not understand....but bicker all you like - seems to suit you along with the broadcasting of your own excellence......

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My wife does not carry her groceries.

I do not carry my wife's groceries.

WE carry OUR groceries.

Too modern a concept for some posters I guess.

Not the wife but she carries HER groceries and I carry MY groceries. I like cooking my own food at home and she likes to cook her Isaan food which I say could choke a billy goat.

My servant carries our groceries. After all we're not savages any longer.

Edited by thehelmsman

You don't always have to be right. Unless it is something major best to just go with the flow and keep the peace. It's really a no win situation so why try.

So many things to remember. For a place that is not India there are a lot of sacred cows round here. Gotta watch what you do with your feet. Have to remember never to talk about certain members of society. Can't comment on at least 75% of the Thai news stories. Can't talk about her boss or the neighbor next door.

She is a good woman but married late in life and very used to having things her own way. She actually reminds me of my grandfather when he was sober.

She folds the empty plastic sacks from the grocery store into triangles like a flag fold. She also folds my underwear into neat little rectangles and there is not a spec of dirt anywhere in our home.

A little OCD but the good far outweighs the bad.

Edited by lostoday

You don't always have to be right. Unless it is something major best to just go with the flow and keep the peace. It's really a no win situation so why try.

So many things to remember. For a place that is not India there are a lot of sacred cows round here. Gotta watch what you do with your feet. Have to remember never to talk about certain members of society. Can't comment on at least 75% of the Thai news stories. Can't talk about her boss or the neighbor next door.

She is a good woman but married late in life and very used to having things her own way. She actually reminds me of my grandfather when he was sober.

She folds the empty plastic sacks from the grocery store into triangles like a flag fold. She also folds my underwear into neat little rectangles and there is not a spec of dirt anywhere in our home.

A little OCD but the good far outweighs the bad.

Lost today....like all of us you have good days and bad days here and sometimes it all gets a bit too much. Hopefully the good outweighs the bad and sounds like it does in Ur case. You won't find logical answers to your particular issues nor will you ever rationalize Thailand. Go and have a good sleep and you'll wake up tomorrow, have an amazing day and remember why you choose to live here and not boring farangland