Chang Export (R.I.P.) in Makro ?

freedomnow

Does Makro in Hang Dong or superhighway carry Chang Export ?

It is going out of production, and I'd like to pick up a case.

While no award winner , I found it was the least headachy beer in the country, coming a close second to Beer Laos.

Edited by freedomnow

Tried that Red but it does not seem to 'fuse" there is excess fizz, dark liquid and a beeriness but it is a bit wonky/funky.

Almost any local beer over 5 big bottles and it is wipe out for a few days for me before I feel back to normal.

Chang Export, bit woozy for 1 hour then right as rain by 10-11 am.

What do they put in those other local brand bottles....nuclear waste ?

Edited by freedomnow

Chang Export. R.I.P. passifier.gif

Been really enjoying this beer for the last two years.

Buying by the case (12 bottles) usually fairly easy to get - MAKRO in Nakhonpathom or Ratchaburi, BigC, or TOPS Supermarkets.

BUT... the last three weeks stocks have dwindled. Hunted down the last two cases in MAKRO.

Price tags and stickers disappeared.

TOPS staff handed me the last case, and said "no more". Spoke with a Chang delivery driver the other day. He confirmed they have stopped making it. Said it was only supermarkets and MAKRO who carried stock. Local mom and pop stores never touched it. Not popular. Couldn't sell it.

@ BigC this morning: Chang Classic has all been revamped. New boxes, new labels, news cans, flashy point of sale display. And it has gone from 6% to 5.5%.

Same at TOPS. Shelves being cleaned, re-stocked with "new" Chang Classic bottles.

So, for me, a sad day. Certainly won't be reverting to Singha. They dropped their bottle size, and upped the price.

Know nothing about Cheers or Archa. And Heineken and Tiger prices might even stop me drinking.

Chang Export. R.I.P. passifier.gif

Been really enjoying this beer for the last two years.

Buying by the case (12 bottles) usually fairly easy to get - MAKRO in Nakhonpathom or Ratchaburi, BigC, or TOPS Supermarkets.

BUT... the last three weeks stocks have dwindled. Hunted down the last two cases in MAKRO.

Price tags and stickers disappeared.

TOPS staff handed me the last case, and said "no more". Spoke with a Chang delivery driver the other day. He confirmed they have stopped making it. Said it was only supermarkets and MAKRO who carried stock. Local mom and pop stores never touched it. Not popular. Couldn't sell it.

@ BigC this morning: Chang Classic has all been revamped. New boxes, new labels, news cans, flashy point of sale display. And it has gone from 6% to 5.5%.

Same at TOPS. Shelves being cleaned, re-stocked with "new" Chang Classic bottles.

So, for me, a sad day. Certainly won't be reverting to Singha. They dropped their bottle size, and upped the price.

Know nothing about Cheers or Archa. And Heineken and Tiger prices might even stop me drinking.

and did you find you had a fairly clean exit on the other side of a beer session vs other local beer....as in not brain dead with sore kidneys and speech OK or just being able to formulate words the next day !!!

Really, I'm thinking of just stopping drinking beer as the rest are just woeful and though the craft beer is good it is just extortionately priced ,even more so if you go to one of the beer bars that stock it.

Edited by freedomnow

...and they made the bottle green I hear so it can go bad faster in direct sunlight like Heineken !

Aiming for a young crowd when it is the older guys that tended to go for Chang original, I believe. Hahaha... visionary leader !

KNOW YOUR CUSTOMER BASE , THEN ALIENATE THEM !!

Edited by freedomnow

Is chang draught still around?

I imagine the draught beer will end up being Draught Chang Classic. Bottled Chang draught (I never did understand what that meant) if it is available, won't be for long. Chang is now producing only 1 beer , Chang Classic. I was surprised that Chang Light lasted so long and expect Singha Light to vanish soon. The demand for a light beer in Thailand is minimal and will be that way for a few more years. San Mig Light caters to tourists so no need/demand for any more.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Is chang draught still around?

I imagine the draught beer will end up being Draught Chang Classic. Bottled Chang draught (I never did understand what that meant) if it is available, won't be for long. Chang is now producing only 1 beer , Chang Classic. I was surprised that Chang Light lasted so long and expect Singha Light to vanish soon. The demand for a light beer in Thailand is minimal and will be that way for a few more years. San Mig Light caters to tourists so no need/demand for any more.

They do seem to be racing toward a single offering at 5% or so. I used to prefer Draught and Export, but since Classic's alcohol content has been coming down it's been an okay substitute for me.

I don't get the thinking of the marketing geniuses at Chang, first lowering the alcohol and then killing all the other variants... Now Chang has become just another beer brand with nothing standing out, so no real reason to buy it, unless they can make it cheaper than Cheers ?

BTW, question to those who know beer in Thailand: if I wanted a sweeter malty light beer, which one should I buy? (if possible cheap too, please!!)

Yes saw the new branding of Chang Classic in Makro Mae Rim a few days ago. Personally I don't like the stuff, too much of a Changover the next morning. I didn't mind their export and quite liked their draught. Pity if they do stop production of Draught and I too haven't been able to find it anywhere for the last 2 weeks.

I suppose it's Leo for me here on in. Will not touch Singh due to aforementioned reasons.

Dark Beer Lao is still my favorite and the 1 litre German beers which are available in Rimping at 199 baht are pretty good too. Sorry I can't remember the brand name.

i suggest everyone writes to them and complains. The new brew is tasteless and horrible. http://www.changbeer.com/contact-us

Thanks for the link, I send them some appropriate feedback, pointing out that they had just lost a number of long-standing customers !

Not that they'll pay it any attention, or even reply, but IMO it's the duty of customers to provide suppliers with feedback, if they want their views to be taken-into-account.

have you chaps ever thought about home brewing? still in OZ atm but looking to move in the next few years and I would like to bring my keg fridge, nuthing like your own beer on tap.

Not legal in the land of the Thai. sad.png

I think it's legal if you get a licence - not sure of the cost or availability though

have you chaps ever thought about home brewing? still in OZ atm but looking to move in the next few years and I would like to bring my keg fridge, nuthing like your own beer on tap.

I've done a bit of brewing in my time but unfortunately not a lot of kit here to do the same. I cheated and just bought the ready mixed cans of goodies instead of the long process of making my own wort.

I'd really like to put a brew down again but haven't as I've heard its illegal....but then you hear many things in the land of smiles.

Should I actually get off my arse and check out legalities to find if one can home brew then a trip to Oz or Kiwi land to get necessary supplies could be in the wind.

No shortage of bottles to decant into but haven't seen any crown caps or capping tools here.

I did some time in Bougainville and the Aussie guys there had a different keg set up which did everything with no need to decant....amazing stuff and the brew had a good kick to it.

I'd give my right testicle to have a good tasting home brew instead of the insipid local beers. However one has to make allowances in what is otherwise a bloody great place.

Had a look at the website and even after translation to English it didn't really tell me much. I'd like to find a shop in Chiang Mai selling supplies then I'd know my man cave is nearing completion.

I shall keep looking...

I see that the new Classic has robbed us of another 10ml. Still, arguably don't need a glass anymore so every cloud...

The Heineken 500 ml cans are now 490 ml. The large Tigers at "Slops" were from March.......More strange is the Leo and Tiger small cans are close to the same price, by the case. 38 THB for a small Leo at 7-11? Mai Khap. A case of fresh large Tigers may represent the best all around drinking value in Thailand.

Tried the new Chang, the old one had at least some taste but now its tastes disgusting, I don't know what they did when they lowered it down to 5.5℅ but it is undrinkable.

Sent from my Lenovo P780 using Tapatalk

That's not good news, trojanhorse!

I don't drink very often but when I do I like to get a buzz on so I'll have 4 of 5 Big Chang's in one sitting. 3 used to do the trick but these last couple of years the alcohol content has been steadily coming down so it takes 4 or 5 to get me to my happy place. Last session I had was back in July and with the 5.8%, 630ml bottles now they've robbed us of 10ml and 3 more% of alcohol and you say it tastes disgusting, I liked the taste of all the other reincarnation's of Chang. Perhaps it's time for me to become reacquainted with my old friend Mr Sang Som……. the wife's not gonna like that.

They've got cases of the new Changat HD Rd. Tesco, 555 THB, born on 20 August. I opted for Heineken Yai at 800 per case, born on 7 August. what's the deal with boxes of large Tigers? Only saw them at Makro, Big C and Tesco only singles at 56 each. Any clues?

No more Export in Makro. Only the copied HeinChang which tastes almost as tasteless as the real Heineken.

Impressive how they managed to ruin a no.1 beer in a couple of months. Heads up, marketing team in Kamphaeng Phet, maybe the Hulks hire you :)

Leo for me.

No homebrew in Thailand?

https://www.facebook.com/Thaibrewhome

Who said there was no homebrew in Thailand ?

the legal aspect was mentioned but the scene is active.

Back home I was an active home brewer but that was driven because of the cost of commercially available beer.... here. I could not be bothered to make my own when I can get a couple of boxes delivered for about $30.00.