Registering of Thai phones

jaybas

can anyone shed some light on this. I have a Thai phone that i use when in Thailand. It is a simple cheap phone that I have had now going on 6 years. I make sure whe I leave the country I put money in so that I do not lose tyhe phone number. I read the following yesterday, does anyone know exactly what this is about. Do I need to do anything and can it be dome through the internet. I will not be comiong back until after the October deadline. thank

My service is with DTAC.

BANGKOK, 26 August 2015 (NNT) – Mobile carriers have been ordered to notify users of 3.6m unregistered mobile numbers regarding cellular service termination, prior to the deadline on 1 October 2015, NBTC Secretary-General says.

I use contract phones but have an old AIS from 5 years ago I use for phoning overseas. Went to AIS in June to register, apparently already done...I believe all providers have a number you can sms to clarify this, as that is all the girl in the shop did.

There is a number you can call to get a SMS informing you if your phone is registered, but I expect you'd have to be in Thailand to call it.

There's a thread in which Tywais mentions using VDO registration for DTAC : http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/844675-waiting-til-the-last-minute-to-register-sim-card/?p=9683347&hl=%2Bmobile+%2Bregistration+%2Bcheck

DTAC website mentions registering via VDO call if using Chrome. Don't know what that means though appears you can do it online when I gave it a brief check. -http://www.dtac.co.t...gistration.html

//edit - Ok, your computer needs a camera to use this option thus the VDO part. It will work on Android running Chrome and your mobile phone/tablet camera but looks like more work than it's worth.

From a previous post:

If you are abroad between now and 31st of July [the first deadline], it appears that you will not be able to register by phone or the Internet, as it would impossible to prove who you are without showing your ID in person. We will monitor this closely, as it would be convenient if an Internet/fax/telephone registration method was available for such scenarios. With tens of millions of people needing to register, we doubt that anything other than turning up at a registration point will be accepted.

http://tech.thaivisa.com/sim-card-registration-thailand-update/3112/

You are not registering the phone, only the SIM card phone number. And yes the SIM providers are discontinuing service, if the number is not registered. I have used a AIS 3g hot spot for internet service, since March 2014. Returned to Thailand July 18, renewed my service and on August 20 added next 30 days. Two days later, I could not connect to internet. Went to AIS service center the next day and was told, SIM had been deactivated, for account not being registered. They entered id information and reset my account. I do believe that if you are not able to register your SIM by the internet, that you will still be able to have the same phone number, if you register in Oct on your return.

If you successfully register your phone then you should buy extesion time from DTAC when next in Thailand. It is cheap and saves you filling up your phone with money. I come and go and when I recently registered with DTAC I bought 12 months extended validity time. It is not expensive, just a new way of sucking money out you but it is worth it. Saves the hassles when they just turn you off at some expiry date.

My advice would be to send a signed photocopy of your passport and the SIM card to a Thai friend along with the permission for them to act as your proxy and have them register it for you.

You could always try and contact DTAC vis their website.

Indeed I have not found a hint how to register from abroad other than sending the SIM (only) here.

If you have a friend in Thailand he could simply register on his name.

As long as he keeps the SIM under his control/possession/locked there is no risk for him.

You could still change the registration to your name when back in Thailand.

Edited by KhunBENQ

thank you for your replies, I had emailed DTAC and recieved the following for those who are in need. I figured I would pass along my inquiries.

However, if you are not convenience to do so, please provide your documents and follow
the instruction as below in order to make a special SIM registration request;

(1) Place the document on empty paper and state the following detail:-

(2) mobile number

(3) Passport , SIM card showing the number 8966 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(4) Write down the remark on paper clearly and certified by your signature

I use contract phones but have an old AIS from 5 years ago I use for phoning overseas. Went to AIS in June to register, apparently already done...I believe all providers have a number you can sms to clarify this, as that is all the girl in the shop did.

My girlfriend contacted the 'am I registered phoneline' ( cant find it, try google) to see if she was registered.She was.

However come August her phone wouldn't work. It seems that DTAC has this month phased out old SIM cards as they wont work with new 3G whatever. She went to the shop and was upgraded FOC with a new registered 3G SIM.

Thanks for this. I would like to use this method. However, I was not sure how and where the documents need to be submitted. Could you provide more details?

thank you for your replies, I had emailed DTAC and recieved the following for those who are in need. I figured I would pass along my inquiries.

However, if you are not convenience to do so, please provide your documents and follow

(2) mobile number

Edited by marc69

(2) mobile number

“I hereby certify that I am the possessor/user of the number specified above in this application. In case of any objection
relating to the title over the number, or it is believable that the number has been acquired illegally. I hereby agree that
the company may investigate and cancel this telephone number immediately, as well as may transfer the right over the
number to other person without any further consent or notification in advance whatsoever. The company shall be released
from any civil or criminal responsibility”

Please send your documents to 1678[email protected]

Many thanks for this, jaybas.

I understand that you have just got this information from DTAC but do you know what they mean by item 1 and 3?

(2) mobile number

“I hereby certify that I am the possessor/user of the number specified above in this application. In case of any objection
relating to the title over the number, or it is believable that the number has been acquired illegally. I hereby agree that
the company may investigate and cancel this telephone number immediately, as well as may transfer the right over the
number to other person without any further consent or notification in advance whatsoever. The company shall be released
from any civil or criminal responsibility”

Please send your documents to 1678[email protected]

Edited by marc69

Marc 69

(2) mobile number

1) you need to take a sheet of paper (write your name and mobile number on it

copy the statement and then sign it.

make a copy of your passport and sim card and ( if you look at the back of the sim card you will see a 10-15 digit number...you need to make a copy of that number that is on sim card...you can not just write the number down

make a copy of your passport, it will have yopur signature on it so they will have a copy of your signature.

i then took these copies and put attachments to an email I sent to them.

I am waiting for reply...did it earlier today.

Edited by jaybas

If you successfully register your phone then you should buy extesion time from DTAC when next in Thailand. It is cheap and saves you filling up your phone with money. I come and go and when I recently registered with DTAC I bought 12 months extended validity time. It is not expensive, just a new way of sucking money out you but it is worth it. Saves the hassles when they just turn you off at some expiry date.

Just to be clear. The required registration, and buying time to extend validity and prevent expiration, are two different things. Failure to do either one can result in your SIM being deactivated (and losing your phone no.). Buying time thereby extending the validity date will not prevent deactivation due to failure to register the SIM. ('Course what will actually happen come 1OCT is another question ...)

Normally it has to be done in person but you might try DTAC's VDO registration service and see if that works. Not sure if it works out of country though but worth a try. http://www.dtac.co.t...gistration.html

I did the DTAC video registration online on it worked well.

Do you know if that can be done outside of Thailand?

@Jaybas Have you had a reply to your email yet?

Thx.

Normally it has to be done in person but you might try DTAC's VDO registration service and see if that works. Not sure if it works out of country though but worth a try. http://www.dtac.co.t...gistration.html

I did the DTAC video registration online on it worked well.

Do you know if that can be done outside of Thailand?

@Jaybas Have you had a reply to your email yet?

Thx.

Yes, the DTAC prepaid SIM registration can be done from outside Thailand. I and others have done it, but do not wait too long: the government has set a final deadline of 30 September 2014.

You just dial *151# to get a message on whether you're sim is registered.