Thai passport for daughter over 20 years old. Been to embassy and failed!?

Last week my wife and her daughter visited the thai embassy for an appointment for a thai birth certificate and passport.

Basically we are moving over and it would be easy for her to come for long stays and maybe even work.

So appointment made, off they go. First only had short UK birth certificate. Could send by email...OK then needed, custody agreement from my wife's first marriage? To prove we had custody? She is 21 in 6 weeks? We also need certified translation. Permission from her father?

Everything I read says over 20 not required? Even says short certicate OK for over 20? Surely we/she doesn't need any permission from a parent at 20? I know first thing is to get birth certificate to get passport, I thought all she needed was to prove thai parent? It says on thai mfa, that the parent need not attend, just send documents, but embassy wants both parents and translations. ...?

OK. ..if what they say is right? Why put different on website? Do we really need custody for a 20 year old? It cost well over £200 for the both of them to go...wasted. I want to complain to somebody, even though to late and probably useless. ...

Anybody got experience of this and any advice?

Thanks in advance.....

Martyn.

Sounds like a complex case which could have been avoided had the Thai birth certificate been obtained whilst the young lady was a child.

The embassy staff are now in a position of trying to ascertain exactly who this person claiming Thai nationality is..

You seem to have a choice

A) Work cooperatively with the Embassy staff and attempt to resolve the issues or B) Complain

I am not sure that taking option B will assist in any way ......................

Do you have any documented evidence of this young lady being Thai ?

Would it be possible to have her do it in Thailand?

Some Thai embassy are.....lets say.....not used to some cases and not as helpful as other places (I tried to say it as polite as possible)

Would it be possible to have her do it in Thailand?

Some Thai embassy are.....lets say.....not used to some cases and not as helpful as other places (I tried to say it as polite as possible)

The department of consular affairs in Thailand would handle it, but essentially all they would do is send it to the embassy in London for processing given the daughter was born in the UK.

Basically have to suck it up and get the paperwork they want.

So I really have to prove custody if a 21year old? Get her 70 year old dad to come to the embassy? Provide certified translation of divorce etc? Surely it's all irrelevant? I would have thought proving she had thai parent was all that mattered? It says on thai mfa , virtually that.

It does seem that the birth certificate is the sticking point?

So I really have to prove custody if a 21year old? Get her 70 year old dad to come to the embassy? Provide certified translation of divorce etc? Surely it's all irrelevant? I would have thought proving she had thai parent was all that mattered? It says on thai mfa , virtually that.

It does seem that the birth certificate is the sticking point?

Then don't help out. Up to you I guess.

Here are the embassy posted rules:

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/191

• Like 1

I wonder if it would be less complicated if she travelled to Thailand on her UK passport and then applied for her Thai birth certificate from the Thai embassy in London via the consular division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) in Bangkok. I should think that if the request comes from the MFA, the embassy in London will no longer insist on documents that are not legally required and will accept the Thai birth cerficate of one of the Thai parents as sufficient proof of Thai nationality.

Samran, what do you think?

Here are the embassy posted rules:

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/191

So are orphans denied birth certificates?

there is no problem if the child is an orphan it is when the child is no longer a child but an adult. this is a warning to people with children born outside Thailand to register the birth at the thai embassy. also other people to register the birth of there children born in Thailand with there home country's embassy. in this case it is the embassy just making it hard and is more a case of hoping you will give up

Last week my wife and her daughter visited the thai embassy for an appointment for a thai birth certificate and passport.

Basically we are moving over and it would be easy for her to come for long stays and maybe even work.

So appointment made, off they go. First only had short UK birth certificate. Could send by email...OK then needed, custody agreement from my wife's first marriage? To prove we had custody? She is 21 in 6 weeks? We also need certified translation. Permission from her father?

Everything I read says over 20 not required? Even says short certicate OK for over 20? Surely we/she doesn't need any permission from a parent at 20? I know first thing is to get birth certificate to get passport, I thought all she needed was to prove thai parent? It says on thai mfa, that the parent need not attend, just send documents, but embassy wants both parents and translations. ...?

OK. ..if what they say is right? Why put different on website? Do we really need custody for a 20 year old? It cost well over £200 for the both of them to go...wasted. I want to complain to somebody, even though to late and probably useless. ...

Anybody got experience of this and any advice?

Thanks in advance.....

Martyn.

Why would you want to complain, it is you who failed to register the birth during 20 years. Should that be a reason for not complying with the requested documents?