Replacement hip/knee recommendations

Lone Ranger

Hi,

My friend who's 68 from UK needs replacement hip & knee operations but is worried as to quality of surgeons here .

Can anyone please recommend from personal experience who he might turn to-many thanks in anticipation.Location BKK to Hua Hin .

if he has knee replacement, one of the most important parts is rehab. i can not stress enough about it!

i had both knees replaced in the U.S. in 2010 and i still do knee exercises every day in the swimming pool. the rehab. is very important. it is nice as i have zero pain now. before i used to walk with a cane.

Here's my knee rehab story. Meniscus scraped out 40 yrs ago, age 22, but no problems at all till i was age 69. Then could only walk 200 meters without resting. Used a forearm crutch and went back to USA. Found an orthopedic doc who accepted USA Medicare with good hospital. He fitted a nice new knee for me and sent me home the next day. Did my thing as directed. Prior to surgery the doc wants blood as thick as possible to prevent bleedouts. But immediately after surgery thinner blood is needed so he gave me serious blood thinner drugs. I went back to my ordinary daily regime of Vit C and fish oil. Have been taking fish oil 3x/day for years for joint mobility.

After the surgery went to gym and on the recumbent bike pedaled like mad to build up leg and joint. All good till nearly time to depart back to Asia. Then found blood in my urine, very upsetting to see the toilet bowl bright red. Turns out the fish oil, plus the blood thinner drugs, plus my overexercise caused a small blood vessel in my kidney to blow out and drain blood into my bladder. After some expense to learn root cause i quit the fish oil for a month, and vessel self-fixed. Now knee very good, but not like it was age 40. But old age brings unpredictable health journeys.

A number of TV members have had hip replacements here and one member just recently had a knee replacement so suggest you do a search on this forum.

It is certainly possible to find a good experienced surgeon but (1) it is very expensive in a private hospital and even in a government hospital will not be cheap; and (2) the quality of physical therapy services here is poor so would have to be self-motivated and see to that pretty much on his own.

Archived