Moving to Chiang Mai-Need Help

racyrick

After living in Phuket for the past 7 years, we may be moving to Chaing Mai for various reasons.

My wife is Thai and we have a 10 year old son that is going to a public school with an English program and is in P4

Can you please tell me what is a good area that has an English program public school and what is the average rent for a house.

We would like a house with 3 bedrooms, city water,a/c and western bathrooms in a good/decent neighborhood.

Thank you for your help!

Find a school that suits, then look for housing in an area near such school will save time being stuck in traffic , good luck with your quest

There are a number of good schools offering an international education in Chiang Mai. Follow the web links to learn about the schools and contact them for further information.

American Pacific International School
Website
158/1 Moo 3 Hangdong-Samoeng Rd.,
T. Banpong,
A. Hang Dong,
Chiang Mai
Phone - 053 365303
Fax: - 053 365304
Email - [email protected]
A highly regarded American syllabus school with boarding facilities. The school also runs a kindergarten on a different site.

Chiang Mai Christian German School
Website
P.O. Box 12,
Chiang Mai 50140
Phone 053 816 624
Fax: 66 53 816270
[email protected]
A German language school offering a German syllabus. The school also has kindergarten facilities.

Chiang Mai International School
Website

13 Chetuphon Rd.,
T. Wat Ket,
A. Muang,
Chiang Mai 50000
Phone 053 242027, 053 306152
Fax: 66 53 242455
[email protected]
Established for over 50 years. CMIS is an American Christian based faith school with an American syllabus with classes running from kindergarten to Grade 12.

Grace International School
Website
178/832 M.7 Chiang Mai-Hod Rd. KM 10,
A. Hang Dong,
Chiang Mai 50230
Phone 053 442 185
Fax: 053 442 189
[email protected]
An American syllabus school with a strong emphasis on the Christian faith.

Lanna International School
Website

300 Moo 1,
Chiang Mai-Hang Dong Rd.,
T. Mae Hia,
A. Muang,
Chiang Mai 50100
Phone 053 806 231or 806230
Fax: 271159
The only school in Chiang Mai following the British curriculum. Has kindergarten facilities.

Nakorn Payap International School
Website
240 Moo 6, T.San Phi Sua, A.Muang
Chiang Mai, 50300, Thailand
Tel. (66)-053-266-301
Fax. (66)-053-266-308
[email protected]
An American syllabus school

Prem Tinsulanonda International School
Website
234 Moo 3,
T. Huay Sai,
A. Mae Rim,
Chiang Mai 50180
Phone 053 301500
[email protected]
Widely acknowledged as the best internatonal school in Chiang Mai and one of the best in Thailand. Prem Tinsualonda offer an education from kindergarten to high school culiminating in the highly regarded International Baccalaureate. The school has excellent facilities.

I don't know any public school with an English program, but one private school with English program is http://varee.ac.th

As mentioned above, best ti decide on a school first and find housing nearby. Remember your kid will have to travel twice a day, everyday, for several years. A short, comfortable commute will do wonders for his education.

T

Do you mean that you want a school that teaches the British curriculum or a Thai school that has an English language program?

I am looking for a Thai school that has an English program as I am not sure I can afford to send him to a private school.

Any idea of the average price for a decent private school that teaches both Thai and English?

Not top of the line, but a good school.

Thanks

Find a school that suits, then look for housing in an area near such school will save time being stuck in traffic , good luck with your quest

There are a number of good schools offering an international education in Chiang Mai. Follow the web links to learn about the schools and contact them for further information.

American Pacific International School

Website

158/1 Moo 3 Hangdong-Samoeng Rd.,

T. Banpong,

A. Hang Dong,

Chiang Mai

Phone - 053 365303

Fax: - 053 365304

Email - [email protected]

A highly regarded American syllabus school with boarding facilities. The school also runs a kindergarten on a different site.

Chiang Mai Christian German School

Website

P.O. Box 12,

Chiang Mai 50140

Phone 053 816 624

Fax: 66 53 816270

[email protected]

A German language school offering a German syllabus. The school also has kindergarten facilities.

Chiang Mai International School

Website

13 Chetuphon Rd.,

T. Wat Ket,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50000

Phone 053 242027, 053 306152

Fax: 66 53 242455

[email protected]

Established for over 50 years. CMIS is an American Christian based faith school with an American syllabus with classes running from kindergarten to Grade 12.

Grace International School

Website

178/832 M.7 Chiang Mai-Hod Rd. KM 10,

A. Hang Dong,

Chiang Mai 50230

Phone 053 442 185

Fax: 053 442 189

[email protected]

An American syllabus school with a strong emphasis on the Christian faith.

Lanna International School

Website

300 Moo 1,

Chiang Mai-Hang Dong Rd.,

T. Mae Hia,

A. Muang,

Chiang Mai 50100

Phone 053 806 231or 806230

Fax: 271159

The only school in Chiang Mai following the British curriculum. Has kindergarten facilities.

Nakorn Payap International School

Website

240 Moo 6, T.San Phi Sua, A.Muang

Chiang Mai, 50300, Thailand

Tel. (66)-053-266-301

Fax. (66)-053-266-308

[email protected]

An American syllabus school

Prem Tinsulanonda International School

Website

234 Moo 3,

T. Huay Sai,

A. Mae Rim,

Chiang Mai 50180

Phone 053 301500

[email protected]

Widely acknowledged as the best internatonal school in Chiang Mai and one of the best in Thailand. Prem Tinsualonda offer an education from kindergarten to high school culiminating in the highly regarded International Baccalaureate. The school has excellent facilities.

Thanks so much for the information and links.

Unfortunately, the prices are way too high for me to send him to a private school.

I will need a Thai public school that has an English program. Not happy at all to do that, but no choice for me.

Sorry being a Brit when you said public school I thought you meant" private " (A public school in the UK is a fee paying school) All the rest are State or local authority.

If you have a few spare days I might be able to tell you about the rules of cricket!!!

Sorry for the miss understanding.

Varee school is good. About 1000 uk pds per year. Has an International programme where the children are taught in English, this costs more. There is a partially furnished 3 bedroomed house for rent next door for 14000 bht per month. Not new but in good nick. I live 8 kms from Varee school, the area is called Tambon Padaed. Big choice of houses from 14000 up. Chiang Mai is a good place to live. 8 years now and happy.

Varee school is good. About 1000 uk pds per year. Has an International programme where the children are taught in English, this costs more. There is a partially furnished 3 bedroomed house for rent next door for 14000 bht per month. Not new but in good nick. I live 8 kms from Varee school, the area is called Tambon Padaed. Big choice of houses from 14000 up. Chiang Mai is a good place to live. 8 years now and happy.

Yes, I second that - we have a 6 year old who has been at Varee (K2, now K3) for almost two years and we are very happy.

He is doing very well but even at Varee he doesn't get the standard of education he would get back in Scotland (that is still an option under consideration). Incidentally, Varee is planning to prepare and present M6 students who have been on the English Programme for UK GCSE and/or Baccalaureate exams which, if it happens, is potentially of great benefit.

We sussed out a number of similar Thai schools before Varee, not being able to afford International, but Varee, big as it is, won the day. It has a nice atmosphere, many farang teachers and the buildings and grounds are very well kept. But more imprtantly, our son is happy there and is learning as much as he is given to learn!

I worked in tertiary education in the UK for thirty years and a friend who is similarly experienced also sends his two kids to Varee.

As for housing, we live in a good moo bahn in San Klang, very convenient for local shops/markets and for the city. The Varee school minibus comes and picks our son up and drops him off at the house, although we have to pay 1,900bt per month (Varee is only about 5 or 6km from our house).

Our moo bahn has several nice three bedroomed houses for rent (we know two of the landlords well) and, typically, you would pay around 10,000bt per month (plus 500bt maintenance fee and water each month). Some houses we know go to Thais for a lot less than that!

I would be happy to answer any queations or give more info if you PM me.

Yes, I second that - we have a 6 year old who has been at Varee (K2, now K3) for almost two years and we are very happy.

He is doing very well but even at Varee he doesn't get the standard of education he would get back in Scotland (that is still an option under consideration). Incidentally, Varee is planning to prepare and present M6 students who have been on the English Programme for UK GCSE and/or Baccalaureate exams which, if it happens, is potentially of great benefit.

We sussed out a number of similar Thai schools before Varee, not being able to afford International, but Varee, big as it is, won the day. It has a nice atmosphere, many farang teachers and the buildings and grounds are very well kept. But more importantly, our son is happy there and is learning as much as he is given to learn!

I worked in tertiary education in the UK for thirty years and a friend who is similarly experienced also sends his two kids to Varee.

As for housing, we live in a good moo bahn in San Klang, very convenient for local shops/markets and for the city. The Varee school minibus comes and picks our son up and drops him off at the house, although we have to pay 1,900bt per month (Varee is only about 5 or 6km from our house).

Our moo bahn has several nice three bedroomed houses for rent (we know two of the landlords well) and, typically, you would pay around 10,000bt per month (plus 500bt maintenance fee and water each month). Some houses we know go to Thais for a lot less than that!

I would be happy to answer any questions or give more info if you PM me.

Edited by awayego

Do you mean that you want a school that teaches the British curriculum or a Thai school that has an English language program?

I am looking for a Thai school that has an English program as I am not sure I can afford to send him to a private school.

Any idea of the average price for a decent private school that teaches both Thai and English?

Not top of the line, but a good school.

Thanks

Have you ever thought about teaching your child English yourself as I presume your an English speaker?

Better than outsourcing!

I believe the O used the following words, "English program public school" which should answer your question.

my thai friend sends her daughter here: http://absbilingualschool.ac.th/th/en/

It has a mix of US/UK curriculum with classes in english and thai and seems like a good school.

There are places to rent for 8,000 or 10,000 p/m if you look around. as others have said, suggest

coming up and having a good look around, find a school you like and then find a place to live nearby.

Between the radical change in the manner immigration is treating the local expats recently, and the fact that the air pollution 3 months out of the year is actually dangerous, especially for your kids, you might want to rethink what you're doing. Really! Not joking.

If the quality of school is the primary driver, then set that as your criteria for the move and look for a better location. You'll be happier.

Between the radical change in the manner immigration is treating the local expats recently, and the fact that the air pollution 3 months out of the year is actually dangerous, especially for your kids, you might want to rethink what you're doing. Really! Not joking.

If the quality of school is the primary driver, then set that as your criteria for the move and look for a better location. You'll be happier.

A bit off topic sorry but since you mention it, the 2 or 3 months when smoke is a problem in CM (and CR) is it something you can get used to? Or is it completely toxic and intolerable especially if you're asthmatic? Is there a difference in smoke there from a natural burn off compared to smoke from for instance, an industrial burn-off? A natural burn-off can almost be comparably pleasant but if intense can be.overpowering, sickening and pungent. There isn't a huge evacuation from CM I presume so it is reasonably tolerable?

Edited by Linzz

Thank you everybody for the thoughtful replies and advice.

Yes, I will look around first for a school and try to live close by.

Varee may be an option BUT, nobody has yet to tell me where a good Thai public school that has an English program is located.

Does anybody know of one?

I would be moving to Chiang Mai because of work, not cause I want to.Not that it is a bad place to live.

I am not happy to hear about the pollution or immigration issues, but I would have no choice if I must work in Chiang Mai.

Thanks again

Sorry being a Brit when you said public school I thought you meant" private " (A public school in the UK is a fee paying school) All the rest are State or local authority.

If you have a few spare days I might be able to tell you about the rules of cricket!!!

Sorry for the miss understanding.

Haha - I had several instances when we lived in Australia where I was chatting away to my everso middle class friends and talking about public schools and they did the whole 'I would never send my child to a public school' things. I always found it amusing - not least as it showed them for being snobs and appearance driven, but that part of it would have gone right over there heads.

A bit off topic sorry but since you mention it, the 2 or 3 months when smoke is a problem in CM (and CR) is it something you can get used to? Or is it completely toxic and intolerable especially if you're asthmatic? Is there a difference in smoke there from a natural burn off compared to smoke from for instance, an industrial burn-off? A natural burn-off can almost be comparably pleasant but if intense can be.overpowering, sickening and pungent. There isn't a huge evacuation from CM I presume so it is reasonably tolerable?

Yeah, we get the smoke every year and most of us have a little whinge about it and a few of us have a rant about it and an odd couple have a real raging meltdown about it, but we all still live here. Some people who are very sensitive or have children who have sensitivities leave town for a month or so, we usually plan our annual trip to Australia around that time for a few reasons, the smoke being one of them but not the only one. It's all natural, it's the rice fields being burned off and the illegal land clearers here and in Burma and Laos. My husband is prone to sinus infections and the like but he's always plodded his way through it. If it were to get truly unbearable, we'd hop on a train and go south for a few days on holiday to clear our lungs, but it's never been at that stage.

(Of course, this is based on past performance and just like those attractive investment opportunities, has no bearing on future performance.)

Have a good look at the Smoke, Smog, Dust 2015 sub-forum in the Chiang Mai forum. Read and draw your own conclusions. Air starts getting bad starting as early as January and sometimes lasts well into April or until the rains start.

As far as health. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/179362-living-in-saraphi/

Draw your own conclusions.