Cleaning Air Con Filters in condo room

Most just slide out and you can wash them in the sink or shower in two min. For a service and twice yearly cleaning the owner should pay. Helps increase the life span of the ac unit. Some landlords however could careless.

You should clean filters approx monthly.

And they recommend cleaning the whole system twice a year (i.e, spray washing) for best cooling and lowest energy/electricity usage, but that's just a rule of thumb and really depends on how fast the A/C gets dirty (i.e., how dirty your inside and outside environment is with dust, smoke, hair, etc). The inside unit if more sensitive to higher electricity usage from getting dirty than the outside unit. As to who pays, well if you are also paying your monthly electric bill vs the landlord paying whatever you electric usage is, I expect the landlord really don't care much about getting the A/C cleaned periodically because you are footing the higher electricity bill caused by a dirty A/C. Plus if he a landlord that bills you for your electric usage at his own rate per KWH, they higher electricity usage caused by a dirty A/C is just more profit in his pocket....gives him much less incentive to keep the A/C clean.

What about replacing the air con filters? How often should this be done?

Like maybe never since they are usually fine mesh wire or some kind of material that would take many years to develop holes.

Now some mesh filters have these bacteria related sub-filters which are part of the main filter. A lot of these sub filters actually lose their effectiveness after 6 months to a 1 year whether cleaned or not...they are really just a selling gimmick more than anything else....discard them or just rinse them off like the main filter.

What about replacing the air con filters? How often should this be done?

Like maybe never since they are usually fine mesh wire or some kind of material that would take many years to develop holes.

Now some mesh filters have these bacteria related sub-filters which are part of the main filter. A lot of these sub filters actually lose their effectiveness after 6 months to a 1 year whether cleaned or not...they are really just a selling gimmick more than anything else....discard them or just rinse them off like the main filter.

I see. After Googling it usually they recommend replacing them every 6-12 months on many websites I had a look at.

I strongly recommend using a disposable product called "Filtrite" by 3M {available at Home Pro). They go over your air con filter and do a remarkably good job cleaning the air. We change ours every 3 months. Also keeps the air con clean so you will only have to service annually.

I strongly recommend using a disposable product called "Filtrite" by 3M {available at Home Pro). They go over your air con filter and do a remarkably good job cleaning the air. We change ours every 3 months. Also keeps the air con clean so you will only have to service annually.

That's interesting. Never heard of it. How does it fit on to the mesh filter. Do you cut it to size.

I get my brother in law to clean ours he does it in a few minutes usually just washes filters in the bath dry out for on balcony a few minutes and a quick hoover inside air con unit and pop in filters again and bobs yer uncle for another year before he visits again, as easy as that/

That's interesting. Never heard of it. How does it fit on to the mesh filter. Do you cut it to size.

The package of Filtrete includes a sufficient number of double-stick tabs that hold the filter material to the plastic frame. It's sticky enough to hold the filter material, but easy enough to scrape off when you change the material in a couple months.

I've used Filtrete since my condo air con units were new and the air con cleaning guys comment that the inside of the indoor unit is so clean. The water when it comes out of the unit is almost clear. Granted, I don't smoke, and it's not particularly dusty here, but when I rented a townhouse and didn't use the Filtrete, the inside of the indoor unit got surprisingly dirty.

Here's the packaging to look for:

post-33251-0-33830100-1440890236_thumb.j

I buy mine at Tesco Lotus, but I've also seen it at HomePro and other DIY stores.

Edited by wpcoe

The package of Filtrete includes a sufficient number of double-stick tabs that hold the filter material to the plastic frame. It's sticky enough to hold the filter material, but easy enough to scrape off when you change the material in a couple months.

I've used Filtrete since my condo air con units were new and the air con cleaning guys comment that the inside of the indoor unit is so clean. The water when it comes out of the unit is almost clear. Granted, I don't smoke, and it's not particularly dusty here, but when I rented a townhouse and didn't use the Filtrete, the inside of the indoor unit got surprisingly dirty.

Here's the packaging to look for:

attachicon.giffiltrete.jpg

I buy mine at Tesco Lotus, but I've also seen it at HomePro and other DIY stores.

Great tip, thanks. I just had my a/c units cleaned and couldn't believe the amount of dirt inside the units after just 5-6 months. I'll be going to Home Pro tomorrow.

It is very easy. Open the front grill you will see the filters they could be realy choked up where you cannot see any gauze. Normally 2 filters, put a face mask on, tale them out, if you have a vac cleaner clean them on you balcony if you have one, if not go into bathroom.

Or see how good the owner is tell him the air con not working good can he get it checked.

The problem in most cases is that the indoor air con unit has never been serviced or even cleaned for years.

The filters are usually heavily laden with dust, grease and grime.

Good idea to turn off the power to the unit first.

You can remove the filters and wash with detergent, that's easy.

But you will find the same grime has penetrated the fine alloy evaporator fins.

You might try removing some some dust with a vacuum cleaner but it doesn't help much.

An air-con serviceman told me to use a detergent spray to loosen the debri and flush with plenty of water to wash the dirt away.

Most water should go down the drain pipe which usually handles all the condensation.

Not a process to be carried out in a room with carpet on the floor unless you can lay a protective plastic sheet and mop up the water with old towels.

I have found there are certain types of surface cleaning agents that are more effective. Such as oven cleaner.

Some chemicals can corrode aluminium - such as caustic soda. But I found that these oven cleaners are very effective in removing the greasy grime.

As long as you don't leave it on the alloy for too long it can't do much damage, as long as you flush thoroughly with water afterwards.

The only other effective method would be to remove the entire evaporator unit and take it outside and clean it with a high pressure water spray.

But that would be an extreme case and it might even pay to replace the whole system.

BTW the oven cleaner is far more effective used in a shower recess/bath to remove greasy scum from tiles too.

Most so-called shower cleaners are useless unless you do a lot of scrubbing.

Edited by xerostar

It is easy to clean them but. in a leased unit like mine, the owner should do ti as it keeps their air co. running longer. I used to clean them monthly as well as clear sinl drains but as my agency, Ex Pats Condos, does not repond to any ligetimate service requests, I have stopped doing any maintenance and let them replace units prematurely.

It is easy to clean them but. in a leased unit like mine, the owner should do ti as it keeps their air co. running longer. I used to clean them monthly as well as clear sinl drains but as my agency, Ex Pats Condos, does not repond to any ligetimate service requests, I have stopped doing any maintenance and let them replace units prematurely.

Guess that approach works fine until the A/C is not cooling as good or water dripping on the floor and/or you are paying the higher electric bill due to a dirty A/C. I expect an A/C being dirty has a small effect on its lifespan, but a big effect on it's cooling and energy usage.

Another aspect I forgot to talk about:

Beside cleaning the evaporator units to aid in the efficiency of the cooling effect, a very important reason to keep them clean is to protect the health of the room occupants.

The evaporator has the ability to collect bacteria and viruses from the ingested air. Especially so if the cooling fins are clogged with dust, hair, skin cells etc.

This dirt is a perfect environment for bacteria to breed in.

If the occupants are suffering a respiratory infection such as sinusitis, throat of lung infections then any coughing or sneezing can produce

clouds of minute droplets literally alive with millions of bacteria and or virus spores.

These can become trapped in the dirt and dust where under certain conditions of warmth and humidity they can multiply.

The exhaust air from a dirty air-conditioner can therefore launch a variety of infectious organisms and dust into the air.

This dirty air can trigger allergies, asthma attacks, and sinusitis in subsequent occupants at a later date.

For example in hotel rooms, where all manner of infectious organisms from around the world have a chance to collect.

More seriously the room occupants can suffer lung infections leading to pneumonia especially if their immune systems are compromised.

I have not read any studies done on this but I assume they exist.

In particular in relation to studies of Legionnaires' disease which is often fatal.

• 3 weeks later...

Change your filters four times a year. If you find them incredibly clean when you go to change them adjust the timing to three times per year.

3M Filtrete type filters are mostly used for residential furnaces over here...but if that is what you have - use them. Pleated filters are much more effective than the flat filter mesh style. See if you can find some appropriate filters from an AC Supply house. The people that install your AC units get their supplies somewhere, ask them.

I have my AC contractors power wash out the fins and coils (it is important to do this from the inside out) once a year. Here we have an annual tree pollen/fluff release that can and will plug the fins. We wash right after it is over. I am sure you also have some seasonal treat from Mother Nature.

If you are counting on your A/C units to provide you a comfortable space and it is important to you---look after them.

Regards

When I had my aircons cleaned the guys put a metal tray directly under the unit to catch the water and sprayed the cooling fins with a preasure cleaner.

Does anyone know where I can get a metal tray to attach onto an aircon? I assume they are made for purpose.

It is...I made myself a large plastic bag like a professional A/C cleaner uses but they are called Wash Bags. I then use a water hose with controlable spray wand on the end (it's really just the spray wand off a inscestide sprayer'', spray some A/C cleaner foam on the fins, let it soak in for about 10 minutes, then spray/rinse it down good with my home made sprayer, the wash water is caught by my large wash bag. I also spray/clean the rotary fan. Cleans the A/C very well...no disassembly of the A/C unit required other than removing the filters.