Ripped off - Got Win 10 Home for 8.1 Pro, + Stop auto updates?

NeverSure

PS If anyone sees a way to stop auto updates in 10 Home I'd love to know about it. It's annoying to have it start installing them without permission right when I'm trying to do something, during a shutdown or startup. It runs as a service and I stopped that service, it continues to show as stopped even after multiple reboots, but it still installs updates!

Hi NS,

Sorry for your wasted time, you seem to have a similar run of bad luck. Please see following:

youtube dot com slash watch?v=O0O55D3pE_s

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-off-windows-update-in-windows-10

And please also see: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-off-windows-update-in-windows-10

Here're two posts from members of last website with the same problem, you're facing:

Arun Kumar danwat1234 a month ago

The service can be disabled in any version - to my knowledge. It is not restricted to Pro or Enterprise.

danwat1234 Arun Kumar a month ago

Yes I have confirmed it now. You can disable the Windows Update service in Windows 10 home edition. youtube dot com slash watch?v=O0O55D3pE_s

There is an indirect way. If you set your wireless connection to ' metered connection', windows won't download the updates when you're on this connection. (*only wireless connections. Not applicable to dialup or Ethernet)

Best of luck, I'm sure there's a way. Cheers-thumbsup.gif

P.S. Another option:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/update-freezer-download

Or: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/make-windows-10-notify-you-before-downloading-or-installing-windows-updates

• 4 weeks later...

Downloaded the Win 10 Pro 64 bit ISO and burned to DVD. Booted to that and tried to upgrade. I couldn't because it required a product key and mine didn't work.

What you may want to do is to just buy a Win 10 Pro license of Ebay...a couple of sellers have some deeply discounted prices...downaround Bt1,100 (approx $32) compared to the much higher retail price. See this Ebay search link the two Pro items listed at the top from sellers genuine_key and winsoft2015. And the first listing from genuine_key was going for around Bt800/$20/19.50Euro up until very recently...guess his sales was so good he rasied the price to be closer to the other seller. The sellers are in Spain but the license does include the English language (Ingles) as one of the language selections....I expect it's UK English.

I know, I know, are their licenses really genuine? Well, they are sure selling a lot and durn near 100% positive feedback...and the winsoft2015 ad is actually a new one because he was selling it under a different ad earlier and had sold around 525 of the Pro licenses with 100% feedback under than other ad...but I see in the new ad he's got one one negative and two neutral feedbacks and both of those feedbacks look like the buyer was mentally challenged/didn't know how to install Windows....really didn't appear to be a license problem.

Additionally, I sent both of the sellers two questions in two different emails several days ago asking can the license be used just to do a upgrade to Pro by just entering a new license number in your "currently installed Win 10 Home version"...both responded quickly....they couldn't say for sure it would work...but said the license would work for sure with a clean install using the ISO downloaded from the MS Windows site. Then I went back to both asking will the license install in any "region" of the world like Thailand where I was located or just in EU area only...both responded said it would work/activate in any part of the world....one seller even listed a bunch of buyers/countries all over the Earth where his license had installed/activated no problem...but Thailand was not on his list simply because no one from Thailand had bought from him yet.

Anyway I was impressed with their fast response each time (well under 24 hours), they responded in English, and all the positive feedback they were getting for the hundreds of Pro license they had sold over last X days/weeks.

I was checking this out because I just may buy another low end laptop (Bt10K-Bt15K ballpark) very soon which may or may not come with Windows factory installed and I would just buy the Windows license from one of the two sellers which is used with the ISO you download from the Windows site....when they email you the license they also include the link to the Windows site where you download the ISO "like the ISO you have already downloaded." You don't download the ISO from some doggy site...you download from the Microsoft Windows sites just like you did...I have done when reinstalling my Win 10 Home, etc.

Just buying a Pro license at around Bt1,100 from one of the two Ebay sellers would be a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a new laptop and possibly having the same issue you are having right now in trying to get that new computer to upgrade to Win 10 Pro. Just a suggestion.

Related to my post above recommending maybe just buying a Win 10 Pro license from some Ebay seller, I'm getting ready to buy another laptop to replace an old Toshiba laptop that will not run properly Win 10 due to video/GPU incompatibility issues. Based on my laptop research I would probably end up buying one without Windows installed and need to buy Windows...I would buy Win 10.

In my post above I gave an example of an Ebay seller selling Win 10 Pro license for around Bt1,100. Well, mid last week I noticed the same seller I mentioned above offering Win 10 Pro now for an even lower price...for Euro 12.90 / Bt521 / $14.50. The seller's rating was close to 100% with hundreds of Win 10 licenses sold so I bought a license in preparation of buying my computer (which I haven't bought yet by the way).

Received the email a few hours later with the license number and Win 10 Pro download/install instructions...you download from the Microsoft Windows ISO website. The instructions stressed in bold print the license is only for a Clean Install and not an Upgrade...as in Upgrade I mean you go into your Win 10 Home menu where you can change the product number (a.k.a., license number) and then it will start downloading the additional files needed to mutate Win 10 Home into Win 10 Pro. So I entered the new license number, Windows began downloading/installing the additional files needed to mutate Win 10 Home into Pro...it restarted once or twice and after about 5-10 minutes I was now running Win 10 Pro and it was activated. Cool...too easy.

Before and after buying the license but before installing/using the license I had some back and forth emails with the seller about possibly using the license to do an Upgrade from current Win 10 Home versus doing a Clean Install in case I wanted to try using the license on my current computer running Win 10 Home. Basically all the emails end-up with the seller saying the license definitely works when doing a Clean Install but it might not if attempting an Upgrade if your current Win 10 Home was not the official Released to Manufacturer (RTM) released to the public on 29 July 15...like maybe you had been running the Pre-Release/Beta version of Win 10. But he did say numerous of his customers had notified him that they had successfully Upgraded to Win 10 Pro without needing to do a Clean Install, but he was only guaranteeing it to activate if doing a Clean Install...but he also said it don't hurt to try just an Upgrade vs a Clean Install...it will either work or it won't. Well, I did a image backup to play it safe, entered the Win 10 Pro license and as described in paragraph three above it all went well....quick...easy. I then did a Windows Check for Updates...it found one cumulative update to install which installed successfully. I've now used Win 10 Pro for about a day now and all is working...in fact, I think the computer is a little faster...plus I now have the additional features offered by the Pro version.

Since I used up that license on my current laptop, I then ordered a second license for 12.90 Euro, received it a few hours later, and now I just need to go buy that computer since I have a license to install Win 10 Pro on it.

Yeap, all went well. In case anyone is interested below is the Ebay link to the particular Win 10 Pro license item I bought...the seller is winsoft2015 in Spain. When I bought my second license last night it showed 176 sold...just a few minute ago it showed 236 sold...his rating is 99.5%. And the 3 negative feedbacks he has got knocking his score down a little appear to be made by folks who were ripping the seller off in my opinion. It's a limited time offer so don't know how long it will last.

Oh, yea, with my Win 10 Home Single Language (SL) English-International (which is really UK English) my Windows "display" language was in UK English...the display language being all the Windows menus and not to be confused with "keyboard language" where you can select many even with a SL version of Windows...the SL relates to the "display language." And with a SL version you can not change your display language. With the SL version you are stuck with whatever display language came with your SL version. Well, being a U.S. person I prefer US English. So, after upgrading to Pro I was able to switch my display language to US English...and with Pro now I can can to pretty much switch to any display language I want to...like maybe selling the computer to someone or loaning it out and they want to use a different display language like UK English, Thai, Spanish, etc. And I now have Bitlocker and other Pro features. Yeap, well worth 12.90 Euros/521 baht/14.50 USD.

Here's snapshot and link to the Pro license I bought. I'm not endorsing the seller or anything...just telling you my story...."your results may vary."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windows-10-Pro-32-64-Key-ESD-Multilanguage-Orig-LIMITED-TIME-OFFER-/271995672832?hash=item3f54349900

post-55970-0-16270100-1443429637_thumb.j

whistling.gif Here is my problem.

I registered for the free windows 10 upgrade.

When it was available I downloaded and up came windows 10.

Two weeks later I decided it was not for me and went back to windows 8.1.

All that appeared to work fine.

I am now running windows 8.1 again.

That appears fine.

However, I am still receiving message that my free upgrade to windows 10 is now available and I should download my "free" windows 10 upgrade

I have turned off automatic updates and selected 'let me manually chose the updates to download from Microsoft."

That works fine

But I am still receiving the notice that my 'free windows 10 update is available , and I should download it."

I want to download any valid updates for windows 8.1 and NOT the update to windows 10

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this annoying Microsoft malware notice?

Microsoft apparently treats any windows 10 updates as more important than a windows 8.1 update and automatically installs that windows 10 update..... no matter what I tell them to do.

There must be a way to turn off....de-register my registration for the free windows 10 upgrade once and for all.

But where is that ?

I'm still getting that bloody 'Your free Windows 10 is ready for download' each and every day even though I never registered for it and never will. most 'updates' IMHO never actually are. You'll either have to simply give in or keep clicking the little cross at the top right hand corner. Like wot I do biggrin.png

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/prevent-windows-10-upgrade-installing-after-making-your-reservation

What I found out eventually was that my genuine (factory installed on a Toshiba laptop) Win 8 Pro wouldn't upgrade to 10 Pro but rather 10 Home. I went ahead and did that because I have no need to connect this laptop to Server. Everything went smoothly once I realized why I needed/didn't have a key and the upgrade works great.

Edit. I also found a proggy on MajorGeeks that will stop auto updates and some other nags. It works great too.

Cheers.

Edit 2. It was 8 OEM Pro that wouldn't upgrade to 10 Pro....

What I found out eventually was that my genuine (factory installed on a Toshiba laptop) Win 8 Pro wouldn't upgrade to 10 Pro but rather 10 Home. I went ahead and did that because I have no need to connect this laptop to Server. Everything went smoothly once I realized why I needed/didn't have a key and the upgrade works great.

Edit. I also found a proggy on MajorGeeks that will stop auto updates and some other nags. It works great too.

Cheers.

Edit 2. It was 8 OEM Pro that wouldn't upgrade to 10 Pro....

Did you ever get any more clarity/insight on why your Win 8 Pro did not upgrade to Win 10 "Pro" but only upgraded to Win 10 "Home"?

Archived