School administrator seen slapping a student in VDO clip to be moved

Lite Beer

When I went to school in my CIVILISED home country corporal punishment was widely accepted.

Now 50 years later I'm still alive and in fact have learned some discipline during that time.

Assaulting children because they have done something wrong is nothing more than violent thuggery. It teaches nothing except that violence is an acceptable response when someone upsets you.

Children should be taught that there are acceptable and unacceptable behaviours, true, but more they need to be helped to understand why some are acceptable and others are not.

This requires discussion, sharing of ideas about the consequences of misbehaviour, an examination of how they would feel if they were the ones affected by unacceptable behaviour.

This takes patience, time and rational responses to unacceptable behaviour.

It requires calm reflection and support for those children who struggle to control their behaviour.

What it does not require is violence.

Every child is different - in some cases, corporal punishment is a good method. Some don't understand anything else.

Discussion... patience... this under the assumption that the child actually cares about anything and/or the parents too.

At some point it becomes useless to waste a teacher's time with discussions and patience, the next solution is disclipline.

In this precise case, the slapping wasn't even an educational measure, so it is 100% reprehensible.

Striking a child is never the correct response.

I'm with you to a point....but that point is a bit short of "never". "Never" is absolute.

When I went to school in my CIVILISED home country corporal punishment was widely accepted.

Now 50 years later I'm still alive and in fact have learned some discipline during that time.

Assaulting children because they have done something wrong is nothing more than violent thuggery. It teaches nothing except that violence is an acceptable response when someone upsets you.

Children should be taught that there are acceptable and unacceptable behaviours, true, but more they need to be helped to understand why some are acceptable and others are not.

This requires discussion, sharing of ideas about the consequences of misbehaviour, an examination of how they would feel if they were the ones affected by unacceptable behaviour.

This takes patience, time and rational responses to unacceptable behaviour.

It requires calm reflection and support for those children who struggle to control their behaviour.

What it does not require is violence.

Every child is different - in some cases, corporal punishment is a good method. Some don't understand anything else.

Discussion... patience... this under the assumption that the child actually cares about anything and/or the parents too.

At some point it becomes useless to waste a teacher's time with discussions and patience, the next solution is disclipline.

In this precise case, the slapping wasn't even an educational measure, so it is 100% reprehensible.

Striking a child is never the correct response.

We understood your ideology the first time - now it's time for arguments.

How would you control a child that doesn't care about anything and is insensitive to any motivation/punishment ?

"How would you control a child that doesn't care about anything and is insensitive to any motivation/punishment ?"

Never met a child that didn't have some motivation, even if it was to be punished.... Very few people like to be controlled, and kids are no different. Establish them as "locus of control". The amount of punishment in order to gain "control" with some is such that unless willing to waterboard, you are going to lose. And even that doesn't lead to outcome you would probably hope for!

The most sensible approach, and one that really works, is outlined in this article. I was fortunate to work for Dr. Floy Pepper and learn from her. I felt sorry for those in behavior classrooms that hadn't been trained in Adlerian techniques and democratic classroom. http://www.adlerian.us/guid.htm

"Some don't understand anything else."

This of course is utter nonsense. One of the reasons they are at school is to learn how to behave in a civilised way.

You cannot achieve that result by using physical violence.