Why are London's gay bars disappearing?

isanbirder

London is not the only place in Europe where the number of gay bars in decreasing. I just had a discussion about this with a gay friend from Europe who went to gay bars in Bangkok only twice during his trip, and that was with me. It's a generation thing: Bars used to be the place were you meet other gay people, be it to find friends or to find someone for the night.

Today, the young folks use smartphone apps, such as Grindr and others (my friend had three apps, I don't remember the other names), and of course the grandfather, gayromeo. Personally, I don't understand this, because the beer, the elbow-bending, the atmosphere in the pub is something I don't want to miss but it appears I'm old-fashioned.

When walking on London's streets two weeks ago, I suddenly walked by a pub called Ku-Bar, with a big sign "Award-Winning Gay Bar". Of course, that peeked my interest, but there was no dark-wood counter, it was post-modern with lots of light and steel and colourful cocktails. I went to the traditional English pub across the street instead.

Maybe it's just us old guys who miss the old pubs.

Soho in London was famed for ''Gay Bars'' etc etc, but now its kind of ''Naff'' going there..., so there is less and less there now...

Lots of other Gay Bars in different Areas of London, which is great ....

London being a very Cosmopolitan City'' Gay people are happy to go to most Bars and Clubs..

Myself personally i never was a big fan of Gay Bars , much prefer going anywhere but a ''Gay Bar''..

But thats me....

I do like London as a City , Vibrant and anything goes.. which is great and what life should be like...

It's true that people use dating sites a lot..... but I would prefer to see what I was getting before making any kind of approach. I've had friends who used dating sites, and found themselves with all sorts of weirdos! What you see on the internet is not always what you get.

It's true that people use dating sites a lot..... but I would prefer to see what I was getting before making any kind of approach. I've had friends who used dating sites, and found themselves with all sorts of weirdos! What you see on the internet is not always what you get.

While you are preaching to the choir, the young generation out there isn't listening... And they've used the internet for dating more often than you (us, really) and consider themselves more knowledgeable about it. Why would they listen?

Let's hope that it's a fad and not a trend.

Edited by onthemoon

London's gay bars are closing................

Gosh I hope they don't close the public toilets as well, hard enough to find one in London as it is........coffee1.gif

Do what i do, look for a ''William Hill or Ladbrokes or Paddy Power'', there is always wash rooms in the Bookies....

As people said the internet is making it's impact for sure. Not sure about London but the gay bars here are pricing themselves out of business a but in my opinion. I am not a cheap Charlie by any means but 500 Baht entry and 350 Baht drinks is approaching a price I am simply unwilling to pay. Online it is also possible to find guys in Bangkok who are not prostitutes. Many of these guys will avoid areas such as Silom as they don't like be mistaken for or associated with the money boys there. So I am guessing the problem for gay bars anywhere is the same: economics.

Edited by anotheruser

As people said the internet is making it's impact for sure. Not sure about London but the gay bars here are pricing themselves out of business a but in my opinion. I am not a cheap Charlie by any means but 500 Baht entry and 350 Baht drinks is approaching a price I am simply unwilling to pay. Online it is also possible to find guys in Bangkok who are not prostitutes. Many of these guys will avoid areas such as Silom as they don't like be mistaken for or associated with the money boys there. So I am guessing the problem for gay bars anywhere is the same: economics.

Wow. Where do you pay THB 500 entrance and THB for a beer? Seems like I'm not in your class.

Last night, I paid THB 120 for a Heineken and my friend paid THB 95 for a Leo. No entrance fee. On Silom Soi 4.

Seriously, I don't know what you are talking about.

• 4 weeks later...

Lol you pick one very specific place (that I never heard of) and use that as the norm?