Marriage visa extension with a e-visa?

A friend of mine (who is too inept to use a computer) states he stays here on a marriage e-visa?

I have never heard of this visa and I think he means a non-o marriage visa (which I am on).

He insists that the requirement to renew this visa is to maintain 400,000THB in the bank at all times for the 12 months between renewals (not option for proving a monthly wage or combination of wage and salary) which I believe is the requirement. Interestingly I know that he hasn't left the country for several years so something is working?

He uses an agent (who charges 20,000THB for the renewal each year) which I think sounds dodgy.

Does this make sense to any of you guys or is it bogus?

Nonsense !

There is no "marriage e-visa". In fact there is no "marriage "visa"

A non "O" visa based on marriage can be obtained either as a single or multiple entry . The multiple entry version requires the holder to leave Thailand every 90 days during the one year that the visa is valid .

400,000 Bht is only required to be in a Thai bank for two months prior to an application being made for an "extension of stay based on marriage"(This is not a "visa") An income of 40.000 Bht/month proven by an Embassy letter or Thai tax certificates would also be accepted when applying for an extension .

"O" or any other type of visa cannot be "renewed " in Thailand.

If your friend wishes to retain an "agent" for 20.000 Bht to obtain an extension of stay which costs 1900 Bhat that is his choice.

Most people obtain their extensions by making personal application at an immigration office. The process is not difficult.

Edited by nowretired