Android TV Boxes

STUDMEYER

Hoping for a few first hand accounts on these as my tech knowledge is lagging big time.

I've seen some websites showing android TV boxes for Thailand that you have to pay a monthly subscription for, while others claim to be a one time fee.

Is one brand better than another? Is there any choice in Channels? What type of box should I get?

Thanks

SM

Just go to LAZADA web site they have lots of models there, starting about 2,500 THB,

you can also have them delivered C.O.D. ,which is good.

Once you get your box, go to tvaddons.ag and download TVMC that is their version

of KODI, and has lots of stuff pre installed,and that will be a lot easier for a beginner,

then you can install more add-ons later,when you are more experienced,this is free,

You can add apps from ilikeHD, but for that there is a monthly charge.

with the box order a wireless keyboard/mouse ,Rapoo is 650 THB.

regards Worgeordie

I was recently introduced to ThaiExpatTV which is essentially a subscription Android application carrying all the main UK free to air programmes plus NHK, BBC World News, Sky News and ABC. Their service is buffered somewhere in this country so you have access to the last ten days programming on all channels and even with average internet speeds I never see any glitches. have been very pleased (and surprised) by its reliability and ease of setup especially compared to the Kodi Add-Ons which although mostly free seem to promise a lot but deliver almost nothing. They also sell a well reviewed Android Box (Minix) ready set up and the cost isn't much different from Lazada (although I bought mine independently). Haven't tried ILikeHD yet but may get round to it one day.

I bought one preloaded with film and tv apps from the UK on ebay had icefilms which wasnt bad. Not sure how easy these are to configure.

As I have already said ,just download TVMC ,lots of add ons already installed

including Icefilms,TVMC is the best options for beginners.

regards Worgeordie

I bought one preloaded with film and tv apps from the UK on ebay had icefilms which wasnt bad. Not sure how easy these are to configure.

As I have already said ,just download TVMC ,lots of add ons already installed

including Icefilms,TVMC is the best options for beginners.

regards Worgeordie

Mine isnt working so I think I need to delete everything and start again, is that straight forward do you know?

I was recently introduced to ThaiExpatTV which is essentially a subscription Android application carrying all the main UK free to air programmes plus NHK, BBC World News, Sky News and ABC. Their service is buffered somewhere in this country so you have access to the last ten days programming on all channels and even with average internet speeds I never see any glitches. have been very pleased (and surprised) by its reliability and ease of setup especially compared to the Kodi Add-Ons which although mostly free seem to promise a lot but deliver almost nothing. They also sell a well reviewed Android Box (Minix) ready set up and the cost isn't much different from Lazada (although I bought mine independently). Haven't tried ILikeHD yet but may get round to it one day.

Shame there is no sky sports news, miss Jeff

There are several places you can get sky sports news. Make sure that you definitely have Adblock running and maybe even a flash blocking extension or addon on your browser as well, got here and click on one of the streams, if one is not working the others may be. You have to learn how to identify and close the ads -as you won't be seeing them there are small and sometimes hard to find little crosses that you have to click on to get the out of the way so you can get the stream going. Very rare that every single one of the streams are down, but it does happen occasionally.

(You can't complain because you are getting exactly what you have paid for.)

There is now with Thaiexpat premium,a new service just added.

With the on demand feature I may well give it a go.

I am at present trialling it for free for 7 days.

See below for list of UK channels available.

Edited by stoneyboy

I had no knowledge of Android boxes.. so I bought the Gadgets Guru 2GB/8GB Android TV Box Quad Core 4.4.2 from Lazada at 1,980 baht, expecting to have to programme it myself. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that a whole range of applications were already installed.

So this reasonably priced box might be a good starting point.

There are recommendations for TVMC, which is Kodi based but pre-comfigured. However, from my experience, as Greenside says, it promises a lot but delivers little. you have to search too many servers to find one. if you are lucky, that is active. If you like watching movies (which I don't ) or want to pick up on episodes from series (which I sometimes do) you can find something to watch. However if you are after live TV (which I do want), you will be disappointed.

For live TV, I subscribe to iLikeHD. (550 baht/month for UK live channels + most Sky channels + all the sports channels inc. Sky and CTH)

Their Andoid App. works quite well and the delivery is "almost" buffer free. I use the Android box on our old (5 years) 32" Samsung TV. With channels delivering an SD source, the 32" screen gives an acceptable picture, with a 720 HD source it is quite good.

I had no knowledge of Android boxes.. so I bought the Gadgets Guru 2GB/8GB Android TV Box Quad Core 4.4.2 from Lazada at 1,980 baht, expecting to have to programme it myself. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that a whole range of applications were already installed.

There are recommendations for TVMC, which is Kodi based but pre-comfigured. However, from my experience, as Greenside says, it promises a lot but delivers little. you have to search too many servers to find one. if you are lucky, that is active. If you like watching movies (which I don't ) or want to pick up on episodes from series (which I sometimes do) you can find something to watch. However if you are after live TV (which I do want), you will be disappointed.

For live TV, I subscribe to iLikeHD. (550 baht/month for UK live channels + most Sky channels + all the sports channels inc. Sky and CTH)

Their Andoid App. works quite well and the delivery is "almost" buffer free. I use the Android box on our old (5 years) 32" Samsung TV. With channels delivering an SD source, the 32" screen gives an acceptable picture, with a 720 HD source it is quite good.

The trouble for me with Ilikehd is the fact they offer no catch up service.

so when the bulk of decent programming is on in the UK I am fast asleep here.

Same with watching the football,more so when the clocks go back in October.

Edited by stoneyboy

The trouble for me with Ilikehd is the fact they offer no catch up service.

so when the bulk of decent programming is on in the UK I am fast asleep here.

Same with watching the football,more so when the clocks go back in October.

Just about anything that is decent is available via torrent the next day, i wake up on a Sunday first torrent I look for is MOTD, its always there

Just got an email the other day regarding this if you are interested in Sky TV I think it is run by the same people a Thai Expat TV

http://www.expatpremium.tv/

Android is included with AIS fibre....special sign up now 350 per month (first four months).

The package is ..\

1. Android Operating System

2. Wireless Router

3. Basic cable

You just buy a 1200 baht Logitech wireless keyboard with mousepad... That is what I use.

You can browse without a laptop....and download android apps....and add an sd card for whatever memory you use.

so what would anyone want with an android box? Also, you may just want to put your laptop away for a rainy day, or hold off on your plans to buy one. The browser included with android is sufficient for most of what I want to do....online. My laptop has many programs installed, and I still use that too.

Edited by slipperylobster

Android is included with AIS fibre....special sign up now 350 per month (first four months).

The package is ..\

2. Wireless Router

3. Basic cable

You just buy a 1200 baht Logitech wireless keyboard with mousepad... That is what I use.

You can browse without a laptop....and download android apps....and add an sd card for whatever memory you use.

so what would anyone want with an android box? Also, you may just want to put your laptop away for a rainy day, or hold off on your plans to buy one. The browser included with android is sufficient for most of what I want to do....online. My laptop has many programs installed, and I still use that too.

I guess not everyone uses AIS fibre. I've been using 3BB and True for my internet connections for years and the only Android 'box' I have is the one I purchased in JIB computers a couple of weeks ago.

The package is ..\

2. Wireless Router

3. Basic cable

I guess not everyone uses AIS fibre. I've been using 3BB and True for my internet connections for years and the only Android 'box' I have is the one I purchased in JIB computers a couple of weeks ago.

I am sure you enjoy it.

My idea was that somebody that has yet to buy an android box may first want to sign up with AIS Fibre. I cancelled my truevision (it was double the price of what AIS fibre is charging me). I got a refund of 1000 baht from the turn-in of my truevision equipment, and that reimbursed me for the 1000 baht depost on the AIS equipment. Now I save 500 baht a month...plus I have the AIS fibre android system (that comes included).

Just throwing this out as an option...for somebody who might be interested. It may well be that they are not.....

good luck with your set...

The package is ..\

2. Wireless Router

3. Basic cable

I am sure you enjoy it.

My idea was that somebody that has yet to buy an android box may first want to sign up with AIS Fibre. I cancelled my truevision (it was double the price of what AIS fibre is charging me). I got a refund of 1000 baht from the turn-in of my truevision equipment, and that reimbursed me for the 1000 baht depost on the AIS equipment. Now I save 500 baht a month...plus I have the AIS fibre android system (that comes included).

Just throwing this out as an option...for somebody who might be interested. It may well be that they are not.....

good luck with your set...

A good point and in fact both of my internet connections are out of contract right now so I guess I could swap over to a different service provider any day.

I have been thinking of getting a fibre connection recently.

I find ilikhd to be quite expensive….600baht fr uk and sports channels discounted to 550 per month.

Get a few good apps and you can access a good 80-90% of what they offer.

I like HDs streaming isn't the best either….lots of stuttering….might have something to do with connection though…heard TRUE fibre messes with ilikehd streaming

I find ilikhd to be quite expensive….600baht fr uk and sports channels discounted to 550 per month.

I like HDs streaming isn't the best either….lots of stuttering….might have something to do with connection though…heard TRUE fibre messes with ilikehd streaming

It could well be a problem with True internet. They have had some problems with True attacking their servers.

With 3BB most of the time iLikeHD is almost faultless, eg, last nights early Premiership Football streamed without a hitch.

Today, wanted to watch Deal or Nodeal on Challenge at midday and it was constantly buffering.

The new ExpatTV Premium looks interesting...

Edit...it has just struck me that the UK basic channels are missing from the Premium package, eg. BBC, ITV, Ch4 etc. where are they? Are they extra?

Edited by rawhod

Edit...it has just struck me that the UK basic channels are missing from the Premium package, eg. BBC, ITV, Ch4 etc. where are they? Are they extra?

Phoenix has them all ...... free live streaming.

(part of the tvaddons package)

Edited by MaeJoMTB

It could well be a problem with True internet. They have had some problems with True attacking their servers.

With 3BB most of the time iLikeHD is almost faultless, eg, last nights early Premiership Football streamed without a hitch.

Today, wanted to watch Deal or Nodeal on Challenge at midday and it was constantly buffering.

The new ExpatTV Premium looks interesting...

I think it is a separate package for the 'basic channels'. I have two packages, I subscribed to the first one by mistake and then had to add the sports separately.