What's missing in a casual street stall type restaurant?

Jingthing

This isn't for me ... but I know of a business that wants to offer some casual fast food from a street stall type setup and I was wondering what is both missing in Pattaya AND doable from a business POV?

So of course Thai street food, burgers, pasta carts, and kebab is already over-saturated.

I can think of some things that might be big hits IF they were done right ... such as Mexican, but decent Mexican is too ambitious in this case.

So any ideas for a food idea that is a missing link?

Not generally on offer as fast food / street stall restaurant food in Pattaya.

Doable from a cooking and food cost POV. Ingredients cheap and easy to source locally. Not requiring a master chef. Needs to be fast and lower end cost to customer.

Something you think a lot of people would want to eat.

Not a movable food cart but a street stall setup (so a real kitchen and plumbing available)

Edited by Jingthing

So you guys basically got nothing? Oh well!

I just had an idea.

A street stall specializing in Dutch style KROKETS?

Would you try that?

http://whatsupwithamsterdam.com/fast-food-febo/

Not sure how practical that would be though from a production POV.

Yes I do know there are actual Dutch restaurants here that have them on the menu. But I'm talking more of a marketing thing ... a dedicated street stall doing ONLY krokets.

I suppose a related idea is a Belgian style french fries cart.

Edited by Jingthing

Not sure how practical that would be though from a production POV.

Yes I do know there are actual Dutch restaurants here that have them on the menu. But I'm talking more of a marketing thing ... a dedicated street stall doing ONLY krokets.

Buy them at the Dutch restaurant , "borrow" a food cart + Thai worker and set-up somewhere and give it a try

Cheaper than starting from scratch if its not going to work !

I think the Dutch restaurants probably usually buy them in wholesale themselves.

I think for a Kroket specialty place, you'd need a VARIETY of types of them, and would probably need to get into production.

Probably too ambitious except for someone experienced in a Kroket factory.

I remember when I was a boy and visited Amsterdam for the first time, I really loved those Kroket vending machines! Why hasn't that type of food spread? I do know that Cubans have their own version that is very good and very popular.

Edited by Jingthing

There is a lot of "crap" being sold all over. I would like to see somebody actually serve real Gyro w/ real Greek bread.

post-110622-0-68548400-1441267080_thumb.

The Kebob places are awful IMHO.

One other item that is missing: quality, grilled (over a flame) hot dogs/brats w/ choice of onions (grilled or not), bell pepper (grilled or not) and sauerkraut. The stuff in 7-11 is terrible.

I think the Dutch restaurants probably usually buy them in wholesale themselves.

well that sure makes it easier to do a start up , track down who is making them......

delivery trucks are easy to follow smile.png

Fair point.

The trick is marketing.

I reckon it's mostly Benelux people that eat at Dutch restaurants.

That's not enough people.

It would have be a push to bigger crowd.

I reckon krokets mixed with fresh cooked french fries with Belgian sauces might have more appeal.

well that sure makes it easier to do a start up , track down who is making them......

delivery trucks are easy to follow smile.png

Fair point.

The trick is marketing.

I reckon it's mostly Benelux people that eat at Dutch restaurants.

That's not enough people.

It would have be a push to bigger crowd.

I reckon krokets mixed with fresh cooked french fries with Belgian sauces might have more appeal.

There's a Belgian frituur doing very well in Hua Hin.

Yermanee wai.gif

What's already being done works. Don't fix it. Give the customers a reason to want to do business with you.

That's applicable to anything for sale, why me and not the next guy.

So nothing new in the world?

I don't agree with you at all.

There are probably thousands of NOVEL businesses that could potentially work (if done right) here.

Baked potatoes

I assume you mean like a stuffed potatoes concept. There was a Turkish chain restaurant like that at the Central mall that failed. I'm sure super high rents though didn't help. Personally I've never understood the appeal of that concept but I can imagine in a cheap rent street stall place it might have a chance.

Dill pickles

A street restaurant that only sells pickles? I reckon you didn't read the OP. It might work in Portland Oregon with cute name. The city of shops selling quirky things and/or ONE thing. Anyone for JUST TAMPONS?

Edited by Jingthing

pastrami on rye

That's not a bad idea.

I think there would be a demand for that if done at the quality level of the restaurant of that name in Jomtien but for less money as the overhead lower.

The problem would be delivering that quality.

So that's more of a thing they might be interested in doing in a new location.

On the other hand, lower quality at a much lower price might work too.

Like a passable sandwich for 100 baht? Not sure it's possible.

Corned beef too.

If you just source the ingredients ... that would super easy. No cooking actually.

Another problem, beef is really expensive and people expect generous portions on such sandwiches, but again, if it's cheap enough ... hmmm.

Speaking of sandwiches, I'd love to see a street restaurant doing GOOD Vietnamese banh mi.

That would be more work than the deli sandwich idea.

BTW, feel free to "steal" any of these ideas. The guy I have in mind who needs an idea probably won't do it anyway ... and I just might be your customer.

Edited by Jingthing

Baked potatoes

I assume you mean like a stuffed potatoes concept. There was a Turkish chain restaurant like that at the Central mall that failed. I'm sure super high rents though didn't help. Personally I've never understood the appeal of that concept but I can imagine in a cheap rent street stall place it might have a chance.

Yes, baked potatoes with a choice of "stuffings". Very popular in parts of Europe.

Baked potatoes

Yes, baked potatoes with a choice of "stuffings". Very popular in parts of Europe.

Problem with baked potatoes is that it's really nice in cold weather... not so appealing in Pattaya

One thing I would like is more 'international' 24 hours place, after 2AM or so your choice is limited to Supermarkets or McDonalds, even dinghy street stalls start to close then

Problem with Pattaya is that alot of people here prefer cheap food, vs. quality.

Every time there is a cheap breakfast thread or the like it becomes obvious ....

So it will be quite a challenge to do this right and please a good majority and

be profitable. But I think this a good survey, I hope something comes out of it !

For me, I would like to see a really good burger place. One that makes it's own

minced beef (and perhaps beef alternatives), and also sources a better quality

bun (e.g. sourdough bun, not to thick, some of the Top@Central buns come to

mind).

Quality sides of course would be a must.

On the same thought train, a quality Hot Dog stand would be nice. Decent dogs,

don't have to be imported, could be home made, on a quality bun and fresh quality

sides ....

I can see myself making the extra drive to get a decent treat and wouldn't mind

to pay good money for it ...

luudee

There is a lot of "crap" being sold all over. I would like to see somebody actually serve real Gyro w/ real Greek bread.

attachicon.gifGYRO2.jpg

The Kebob places are awful IMHO.

One other item that is missing: quality, grilled (over a flame) hot dogs/brats w/ choice of onions (grilled or not), bell pepper (grilled or not) and sauerkraut. The stuff in 7-11 is terrible.

A good hot dog / brat cart would be great. The problem I see is that I can't seem to even find a decent brat / hot dog at any supermarket here. If anyone knows of a place to get a decent brat or hot dog, please let me know. I suppose the only choices are from Germany here.

Baked potatoes

I too back baked potatoes, also known more commonly in Pattaya as jacket potatoes. As a Brit I think this is a good idea - assuming potatoes are fairly cheap in Thailand. Jacket potatoes are not that common in Pattaya eateries. They need long baking, so they're a hassle to cook at home for a lot of people. So a chance to eat them out is welcome. In Britain they are a staple cheap-but-filling meal. A cheap charlie meal if you like. Also perhaps even seen as a healthy alternative to chips with everything. You need to sit down and eat one, so it would suit the kind of eaterie JT is talking about.

Just slap some salt & black pepper shakers & a roll of decent paper towels on the table would get my vote. Some hand soap in the restroom would be nice too.

==================

My wife had never tried a potato before she met me.

I cooked some black-eyed peas w/ ham hocks & crackling cornbread once & all 99 lbs of her was laid flat of her back on the couch, as she had eaten far too much.

===================

There was a pork guy on Soi Khaotalo once that did a raving business. I even had his Missus trained to only put one pepper in my som-tam.

Attention to detail & customer service is what is lacking at most places.

Edited by jaywalker