New law when driving without license ?

hawkeye76

:Quoting the second link, it says:

"An International Driving Permit (IDP) is an identity document that allows the holder to drive a private motor vehicle in any country that recognises IDPs. To be valid, the IDP must be accompanied by a valid driving licence."

So, the question is : Is the IDP legal in Thailand and recognized therein???clap2.gif

You've already been told in post #34:

"Thailand has not ratified the 1968 convention on IDPs".

It depends on which country you're from Thailand accepts UK driving licences for up to 12 months for tourists. If you're on a Non Imm visa you need a Thai licence. You can use your UK license to obtain a Thai licence just a few basic colour and coordination tests required.

That's all well and good but the subject is IDP's (International Drivers Permits), which since Thailand has not ratified the convention, presumably they do not legally recognize them hence they are invalid here.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:Quoting the second link, it says:

"An International Driving Permit (IDP) is an identity document that allows the holder to drive a private motor vehicle in any country that recognises IDPs. To be valid, the IDP must be accompanied by a valid driving licence."

So, the question is : Is the IDP legal in Thailand and recognized therein???clap2.gif

You've already been told in post #34:

"Thailand has not ratified the 1968 convention on IDPs".

It depends on which country you're from Thailand accepts UK driving licences for up to 12 months for tourists. If you're on a Non Imm visa you need a Thai licence. You can use your UK license to obtain a Thai licence just a few basic colour and coordination tests required.

That's all well and good but the subject is IDP's (International Drivers Permits), which since Thailand has not ratified the convention, presumably they do not legally recognize them hence they are invalid here.

They used to be required by most Transport offices up until Thailand changed to proper credit card style licences now you don't need one to get a Thai licence or to drive legally in Thailand. Just a UK photo style driving license, of course that's presuming a tourist visa NOT a Non Imm visa. For those you require a Thai licence.

THIS is personal experience not just reading wiki etc. Regards.

You seem to not completely understand:

An IDP is used by visitors in lieu of a license issued by the country they are visiting, an IDP cannot be used to obtain a local license. An IDP is typically issued in the home country.

What is now being said is that an IDP is not valid in Thailand because Thailand did not ratify the associated treaty.

Of course, a Thai drivers license can be obtained by presenting a full drivers license from the country of origin.

You seem to not completely understand:

An IDP is used by visitors in lieu of a license issued by the country they are visiting, a IDP cannot be used to obtain a local license. An IDP is typically issued in the home country.

What is now being said is that an IDP is not valid in Thailand because Thailand did not ratify the associated treaty.

Of course, a Thai drivers license can be obtained by presenting a full drivers license from the country of origin.

You seem not to understand.

The Land Transport office typically required an IDP and your home country license to get a Thai driving license this was prior to the introduction of the credit card style licences in Thailand.

Now it's not required for use with certain countries licences for example a UK license, same as an Thai IDP is not required to use a modern credit card style Thai licence in the UK. The old paper license is invalid.

So anyway. The point is if you have a credit card style photo license from the UK then you don't need an IDP as long as you're on a tourist visa. If you're on a Non Imm visa then you require a Thai driving license. I hope that's clear enough!

Edited by casualbiker

I am not trying to be argumentative, I am simply trying to set out the current scenario in crystal clear fashion, for the benefit of those who are reading this thread and do not understand what the current position is. That having been said, I am writing about what happens today and you appear to be talking about what happened over at least twelve years ago when I got my first Thai photo ID drivers license, solely on the basis of my UK photo license.

I am not trying to be argumentative, I am simply trying to set out the current scenario in crystal clear fashion, for the benefit of those who are reading this thread and do not understand what the current position is. That having been said, I am writing about what happens today and you appear to be talking about what happened over at least twelve years ago when I got my first Thai photo ID drivers license, solely on the basis of my UK photo license.

Fair enough.

Every reference I have seen indicates the limit is 90 days, not 12 months.

One of many: http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

The maximum period that you can drive a hire car or bike legally on an IDP is 60 days on a Tourist Visa, 90 days on a Non-Immigrant O visa. For rentals in excess of that a Thai Driver's Licence is required.

Source: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thailand:Driving.License.Requirements.html

Edited by impulse

Every reference I have seen indicates the limit is 90 days, not 12 months.

One of many: http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

The maximum period that you can drive a hire car or bike legally on an IDP is 60 days on a Tourist Visa, 90 days on a Non-Immigrant O visa. For rentals in excess of that a Thai Driver's Licence is required.

Source: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thailand:Driving.License.Requirements.html

The UK deal is reciprocal.

Your gf is correct as far as I am aware. I havent had the pleasure of being nicked when in LOS but I was told that the fine and/or monkey house time was as you describe. I was told at the same time that the police were mainly concentrating on East Pattaya and mainly chasing 'farang'.

I passed my test this year on a TR visa and received a 2 year license

Never heard of a 2 year license!!!

Yes i to have a 2 year brief and its the new deal :) but the test is western style and harder many Thais fail haha god bless em

Why not just use an international driving license issued by your home country?

There is no such thing as an International Drivers License

You apply for an International Drivers Permit

Alas YOU NEED a valid drivers license to get one

There are some places that offer the license , but don't have an accident

All you are buying is very expensive toilet paper

May I humbly suggest you read the original post before replying? The OP clearly stated he has no license in his home country, so how should he get a international driving permit there? While we are at it, there is no such thing as a "international driving license"...

What nonsense, of course there are international driving licences. They are valid worldwide for one year except in the countries in which they are issued. They can be obtained easily in most countries including Thailand. At the Mor Chit traffic department in the UK they are issued by the AA and the RAC.

If the poster has no licence in his home country then he has no right to drive anywhere in any country

Where is the Mor Chit traffic department in the UK..?

last month i was driving a bargirl from 2nd road in pattaya to naklua….she even told me there might be cops stopping bikes at dolphin circle….i said ok should we stop….she said maybe they won't be there.

Anyway, turns out they were and I was asked to stop.

Cop asked me for a license and I said Im not carrying one…he said where is it….I said I left it in my country….

He wrote something on a paper and sent us to the station at soi 9 beach road…the BG told me it would be better if she went in alone as the price of the fine might increase if I went in. Gave her 500 baht and she came out in 10 minutes and returned 300 baht to me.

I was like, 200 baht for no license…she said no….200 baht because you wear my helmet but i no wear….

Things may have changed though….I was more pissed because we lost 45 minutes with this shit than with the fine.

As a farang without a license from my own country, coming to Thailand on a tourist visa (not married and i do not study in Thailand),

i can not apply for a license in Thailand.

You need a student visa, a pension visa, or some kind of non-o visa. If you are below 50 years old its impossible.

But if we can get back to the topic now, the question was if anyone hear about the new law/rules regarding the law ?

As some1 already asked - why would you drive without a license in Thailand? The type of visa you have is not relevant to the driving. Would you drive in your own country without a valid license? Would you drive in any other country without a license?

May I humbly suggest you read the original post before replying? The OP clearly stated he has no license in his home country, so how should he get a international driving permit there? While we are at it, there is no such thing as a "international driving license"...

I am always amazed when someone gets their hair up in curls over the term "International Drivers License". Yes, it is indeed a "International Drivers Permit", but unwind yourself. It allows you to drive on the roads. Yes, it really is that easy to understand.

You are certainly correct that the OP mentioned that he does not have a drivers license in his own country, and he should not be surprised that he would receive a fine for doing so in Thailand, just like in his home country.

Most likely easier to go and get a Licenses in your home country first, and then it takes half a day to get a Thai license, based on your home country license.

Don't need to sit the test or do the driving test either. Just test for colour blindness & reaction time.

Problem with the written test here is that the computer monitors are so old, and the text / diagrams are so small, that you can barely see the questions. And then when you figure it out, the English translation often makes no sense, so it is not that easy to get 90% correct.

because: "I do not have a western license, as i never had needed a car, so i never needed a license.."

To get an International DL he needs a DL first.....................

Your gf is correct as far as I am aware. I havent had the pleasure of being nicked when in LOS but I was told that the fine and/or monkey house time was as you describe. I was told at the same time that the police were mainly concentrating on East Pattaya and mainly chasing 'farang'.

Just got my license in CM this morning. It is indeed for two years!

Wht is a 2 year license? I have heard of a 1 year and a 5 year license, the latter is what I Have but a 2 year is totally new to me

Wht is a 2 year license? I have heard of a 1 year and a 5 year license, the latter is what I Have but a 2 year is totally new to me

They changed from a 1 year temporary to a 2 year temporary license in March/April this year. Believe the reason had something to do with making it more convenient.

Admission of guilt. If you drive without a license you need locking up for every ones safety. No sympathy at all

So just out of shear curiosity, what would your estimate be of the percentage of Thais that are driving on the roads that actually have a license? Should we apply the same penalties?

It would work well in Nakohn Nowhere.

Until this country learns to apply the laws they already have in place arbitrarily and "without prejudice" laws are a waste of paper........

Hello forumees

When in Thailand I use reduced, encapsulated copies of my passport, visa and UK driving licence. I hire cars from the major companies using these copies and have never had a problem when stopped for tea money, just refuse to pay. Because its all in English they cant read the text and give up to save face.

Now, my Thai wife has only a UK Provisional licence (failed the theory test 3 times in ten years). The hire companies do not refuse her hire and the police just accept that she has a licence, so no problems there.

A significantly large proportion of the Thai population drive without a licence and without insurance, just pay the tea money instead. The insurance companies still pay out if you have no licence. My sister-in-law has written off two vehicles, insurance paid out and she still drives with no licence.

Whilst the laws are not enforced and tea money is acceptable nothing will change.

In my view, if the OP gets a provisional licence from country of origin that will surfice in Thailand, providing he is a capable driver.

Yes, you might say, that is not the proper way to go about it, but Thailand has not come out of the dark ages with law enforcement yet either.

Happy days

Gerry

To be exact it is named "International Driving Permit" IDP. It is issued in the country where you have a national driving lisence, and since 2012 it is valid for 3 years. You can use IDP in all countries exept in the issuing country.

My IDP was issued in Norway 20.09.2013 and is valid till 20.09.2016. IDP is valid for the categories and subcategories of vehicles which has a stamp. Mine is stamped for all exept B1 ( 4 wheels motorbike).

Carerra

To be exact it is named "International Driving Permit" IDP. It is issued in the country where you have a national driving lisence, and since 2012 it is valid for 3 years. You can use IDP in all countries exept in the issuing country.

My IDP was issued in Norway 20.09.2013 and is valid till 20.09.2016. IDP is valid for the categories and subcategories of vehicles which has a stamp. Mine is stamped for all exept B1 ( 4 wheels motorbike).

Carerra

"You can use IDP in all countries exept in the issuing country".

Providing that the country you want to use it in has ratified the IDP convention which Thailand has not, ergo, IDP's are not legally valid here.

You need to either get a licence in your country and then apply for a international Drivers Permit, or get yourself a licence here when you arrive. International Drivers Permits can only be use for 60 days on a tourist visa or 90 days on a Non Immigrant visa. Since you say you are on a tourist visa, you can get a Thai licence for 1 year (some say it's now 2 years, so it may have changed).

Remember this…. no licence will mean you are responsible for any and every accident you are involved in, whether your fault or not. If you injure or kill someone, your life will be hell. If you have an accident and you injure or kill my partner or child, you will hope like hell I don't find you, you will be paying for the rest of your life thumbsup.gif Just saying, as I'm sure a lot of others on here would feel the same. In all honesty, go get your licence, 1 day and about 800 baht for both car and motorbike.

Admission of guilt. If you drive without a license you need locking up for everyones safety. No sympathy at all

I dont have a licence....and i drive a 150 cc motocy better than 99% of people in LOS....its not rocket science.

I drive slow and never drive when drinking.

Back home i dont drive at all.

As a farang without a license from my own country, coming to Thailand on a tourist visa (not married and i do not study in Thailand),

i can not apply for a license in Thailand.

You need a student visa, a pension visa, or some kind of non-o visa. If you are below 50 years old its impossible.

But if we can get back to the topic now, the question was if anyone hear about the new law/rules regarding the law ?

What you say is true w.r.to a Thai driving licence; however, there is nothing preventing anyone getting an International Driving Permit in their own country, usually valid for 1 year, which is legal in Thailand.