Is it ok for your girlfriend to call you farang to her friends?

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

why not, if you are not Thai then you are a "farang" = foreigner, but as mentioned above it depends on tone and context. I could call you a name but uness you heard the tone and know the context you wouldnt know if it was in fun, an endearment or an insult.

why not, if you are not Thai then you are a "farang" = foreigner, but as mentioned above it depends on tone and context. I could call you a name but uness you heard the tone and know the context you wouldnt know if it was in fun, an endearment or an insult.

of course if she mentioned the words "Keenok" or "Kinneou" before saying farang, take that as insult...laugh.png... if she had called a "F'ing Farang sure you would have understood that....of course she could asking where to buy the fruit

There are people around here that are referred to by different terms: Isaan, (Lao), Cambodia, Thai, Chinese and at the bottom, Farang. In order of occurrence. It doesn't matter. You aren't being called the equivalent of a nigger.

I would say that it was not correct.

Surely you have a name.

I would be looking for a new girlfriend.

I would say that you would get through many girlfriends.

It is quite normal for "The Farang" to be referred to in the third party context by family and friends.

Surely you have a name.

It is quite normal for "The Farang" to be referred to in the third party context by family and friends.

And wrong.

Something I would not tolerate.

My Wife of 11 years has never referred to me in that respect.

I have a name.

Surely you have a name.

Agreed, my Mrs has spent lots of time overseas with me with family friends, and not one of them has ever referred to her as "the Thai" or Foreigner or other similar term and refer to her by name, even the people she doesn't know so well

in all the years i have been with my Mrs, she has never referred to me to her family or friends as the "farang" as far as I know and her family and friends refer to me by my name

I disagree, I have never been present where I have been referred to as "the Farang"

Is your wife Thai or Farang? Is your husband Thai or Farang? You have a problem with either of those statements?

I disagree, I have never been present where I have been referred to as "the Farang"

I have.

I have personally seen it on scores of occasions.

It happens.

Is your wife Thai or Farang? Is your husband Thai or Farang? You have a problem with either of those statements?
Why so defensive ? Just relating my own personal experiences and as stated as far as i am aware i have never been referred to as "farang" in company whether her family or friends

but if in company the typical question that my wife gets asked is where is your husband from, not where does the "farang" come from

Edited by Soutpeel

Why so defensive ? Just relating my own personal experiences and as stated as far as i am aware i have never been referred to as "farang" in company whether her family or friends

but if in company the typical question that my wife gets asked is where is your husband from, not where does the "farang" come

I'm not defensive. You are the one who didn't answer my simple question. Is your wife Thai or Farang? Is your husband Thai or Farang? You have a problem with either of those statements?

but if in company the typical question that my wife gets asked is where is your husband from, not where does the "farang" come

Any reason they dont ask you directly?

Any reason they dont ask you directly?

Sometimes they do ask, but never have said "hey you Farang where you come from"

I'm not defensive. You are the one who didn't answer my simple question. Is your wife Thai or Farang? Is your husband Thai or Farang? You have a problem with either of those statements?

I think you are being deliberately obtuse. The answer to either of those questions is not "the farang"

I also cannot recall my wife or her family ever referring to me as "the farang". Neither have my colleagues.

As mentioned above it's about context. Describing someone as farang, like describing someone as Asian is different to referring to them as "the Asian."

OB

I just asked my neighbor,

she says Thai birds sometimes refer to a farang they intimate with but not in any way faithful to as 'my foreigner' - khong chan farang or something like that

I would have thought thai birds say "cheep cheep" a lot and whistle on ocassion

but if in company the typical question that my wife gets asked is where is your husband from, not where does the "farang" come from

Apart from the obvious family and friends you can add... at the market (I have never heard 'saa mee' spoken but my missus is often asked where her Farang is from.... land transport office, amphur, police stops, immigration ....government officials are one of the most frequent users of the word Farang.

Opening a bank account, buying a vehicle .... the opening phrase is often "Farang mai dai"..

A common word with which I have never taken offence.

Surely you have a name.

And wrong.

Something I would not tolerate.

My Wife of 11 years has never referred to me in that respect.

I have a name.

I was referred to as "Farang" by my ex and some of her family. At the time I thought nothing of it. Now, though, I realize it was an indication of total lack of respect. I should have kicked her out the first time I heard it, but it took me a while to catch on because I just didn't want to believe she had zero respect for me. I finally ended it. Better late than never.

I hope the OP is not headed for what I went through. The fact that he is asking the question indicates he knows something is wrong.

Edited by mesquite

You are taking a tour to a place that only lets in Thai people. The person on the phone asks your wife/GF is your husband Thai or Farang.

What are you bleating on about ?

As stated i have never heard my wife company or on the phone refer to me as "the farang" or farang, i have heard her one the phone refer to my nationality