She Went Stateside

Gonsalviz

Her taxes are another problem .

OP doesn't commit any freud . She is responsible for her taxes, he doesn't live in US and did not sign any tax return. If she puts his name on her tax return knowing that husband doesn't live with her , she has a problem not OP

He is retired and I think IRS knows that

Sorry Walt, but what you say about taxes is WRONG. There are some very particular circumstances under which one can avoid responsibility for a spouse's tax cheating if you have taken all those measures and met all the requirements. It is not an easy standard to meet.

Doubtful the OP has even thought about this, or like you, can't see how or why he "would be" responsible.

And why would you assume he "didn't sign any tax return"???? And why would being retired relieve you of tax responsibilities??? Not living in the US? Also, makes no matter ...you don't have a single fact or legal issue, correct in your post!

Sorry amykat, where did you find information in OP posts that he signed any tax return. You right, I could be wrong but as well you.

Since she is married she has 2 options :

Filling married separately or filling married jointly.

If she filled separately he can not be responsibly for her action. That is a fact.

If she filled jointly she needed also know his income even he is retired and he should signed that tax return.

If he signed he will be responsible as she and that is different story.

I never wrote that retired people are not responsible for taxes regardless where they live ( read my post carefully) . We don't know what kind retirement ( so income) he gets.

The IRS requires you to file a tax return when your gross income exceeds the sum of the standard deduction for your filing status plus one exemption amount. These filing rules still apply to senior citizens who are living on Social Security benefits. If you are a senior, however, you don't count your Social Security income as gross income. If Social Security is your sole source of income, then you don't need to file a tax return.

He is also not saying if he files tax return, but like I wrote if he gets Social Security or other retirement payments IRS will know about it.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Her taxes are another problem .

OP doesn't commit any freud . She is responsible for her taxes, he doesn't live in US and did not sign any tax return. If she puts his name on her tax return knowing that husband doesn't live with her , she has a problem not OP

He is retired and I think IRS knows that

Sorry Walt, but what you say about taxes is WRONG. There are some very particular circumstances under which one can avoid responsibility for a spouse's tax cheating if you have taken all those measures and met all the requirements. It is not an easy standard to meet.

Doubtful the OP has even thought about this, or like you, can't see how or why he "would be" responsible.

And why would you assume he "didn't sign any tax return"???? And why would being retired relieve you of tax responsibilities??? Not living in the US? Also, makes no matter ...you don't have a single fact or legal issue, correct in your post!

Sorry amykat, where did you find information in OP posts that he signed any tax return. You right, I could be wrong but as well you.

Since she is married she has 2 options :

Filling married separately or filling married jointly.

If she filled separately he can not be responsibly for her action. That is a fact.

If she filled jointly she needed also know his income even he is retired and he should signed that tax return.

If he signed he will be responsible as she and that is different story.

I never wrote that retired people are not responsible for taxes regardless where they live ( read my post carefully) . We don't know what kind retirement ( so income) he gets.

The IRS requires you to file a tax return when your gross income exceeds the sum of the standard deduction for your filing status plus one exemption amount. These filing rules still apply to senior citizens who are living on Social Security benefits. If you are a senior, however, you don't count your Social Security income as gross income. If Social Security is your sole source of income, then you don't need to file a tax return.

He is also not saying if he files tax return, but like I wrote if he gets Social Security or other retirement payments IRS will know about it.

Walt1953,

You are not right. The situation is complicated and I am sick and do not feel like looking up documentation. It really is best, since you CLEARLY are not a lawyer or CPA for you not to give advise that can seriously <deleted> up someone's life!!

Put the mouse down, and/or go back to school!

Would it not be possible that you stay with her in the States?

huh....?

"Huh" what? blink.png

The USA Passport citizen resides in TH and the Thai citizen resides in the USA.

Unusual in my opinion for a couple.

He is retired and has money, enough for him and her maybe too,

she has children she has to think off and needs more money as he, can, or want to give her.

So, she works, in the much better paid USA, good.

He does not like to live there. Problems, sure.whistling.gif

OP - answered already = NO! coffee1.gif

Walt1953,

You are not right. The situation is complicated and I am sick and do not feel like looking up documentation. It really is best, since you CLEARLY are not a lawyer or CPA for you not to give advise that can seriously <deleted> up someone's life!!

Put the mouse down, and/or go back to school!

Amykat, If you are sick go to the doctor. Definitely, you should first educate yourself.

I got married last year to Thai. I still live and work in US, but my wife lives in Thailand. I had to find out how to pay my taxes and I went through all options with my CPA. I could take now early retirement too so I know how I'm doing pay taxes if I retire.

What is not right in my post . That all you can write in your post, that I'm not right.

That is sad how many people like you try be smart.

Please, stop writing if don't know much about subject