Jack Fruit trees

Gandtee

I have a jack fruit tree which was cut off at about 8 feet above ground level, the trunk being about 15 inches diameter. It has now sprouted about six vertical side branches which are about 15 feet tall. Will these branches fruit and what is the best way to prune them? Most programs I have seen on pruning only advise on trees not as drastically treated as mine and with single trunks. Any advice gratefully received.

The new growth will only be epicormic growth and as such not be connected to the the heartwood and will have no strength to either bear heavy fruit or withstand severe weather and winds. This is one of the main reasons badly pruned trees drop branches and will always be structurally compromised. If it is near to your house it should be removed. As jackfruit grows from the trunks and old branches you may still get fruit from from the trunk , but . I am certainly no expert on Jackfruit tree production.

There is, however, a form of pruning called pollarding where the trunk is cut off and epicormic growth in allowed to grow but that is usually only done on ornamentals and usually in ornamental avenues or in some cases for the commercial harvesting of leaves .

The new growth will only be epicormic growth and as such not be connected to the the heartwood and will have no strength to either bear heavy fruit or withstand severe weather and winds. This is one of the main reasons badly pruned trees drop branches and will always be structurally compromised. If it is near to your house it should be removed. As jackfruit grows from the trunks and old branches you may still get fruit from from the trunk , but . I am certainly no expert on Jackfruit tree production.

There is, however, a form of pruning called pollarding where the trunk is cut off and epicormic growth in allowed to grow but that is usually only done on ornamentals and usually in ornamental avenues or in some cases for the commercial harvesting of leaves .

Thanks for the advice.