repelling import duties, anyone had success?

andreww

Once again about import duties.. My case is rather simple: sent a package from Japan via EMS, total value is 5,000 JPY which is ~1,400 thb (below 1,500 baht) threshold. The Thai Customs say value was not declared (even though receipt is in the box), and set value at 1,600 THB, hence 500 baht import dutues to be paid.

Now, 500 baht is not a big deal, but still money and rather a symbol of customs officials' impunity.

Before I go to the post office to pay&collect the parcel, question is, can the duty be easily repelled (i.e. w/o going to the customs office at the airport etc)? Anyone had positive experience?

Edited by andreww

You can file an Appeal. I did it back in May and ended up having all the 'fees' waived. If you want more details I woukd be happy to provide them, but given your package appears to be 'taxable' I don't want to waste my time doing a detailed post if it's a pointless exercise.

Was the item you purchased originally manufactured in an ASEAN member country?

You have to file the appeal before accepting the package.

The minimum assessable value for duties & VAT is THB1000, not 1500

recent update, current value is 1,500 baht: http://www.fedex.com/th/news/custom.html

You can file an Appeal. I did it back in May and ended up having all the 'fees' waived. If you want more details I woukd be happy to provide them, but given your package appears to be 'taxable' I don't want to waste my time doing a detailed post if it's a pointless exercise.

Interesting point about ASEAN, as it is a TOMICA track set, and they're manufactured in Vietnam these days, which it clearly says on the packaging in plain English...

How long did the appeal process take? The parcel is in my missus name, and she's a hard nut when it comes to corrupt officials, so I dont mind her stirring some sh#t, if timeframes are reasonable.

Edited by andreww

recent update, current value is 1,500 baht: http://www.fedex.com/th/news/custom.html

Interesting point about ASEAN, as it is a TOMICA track set, and they're manufactured in Vietnam these days, which it clearly says on the packaging in plain English...

How long did the appeal process take? The parcel is in my missus name, and she's a hard nut when it comes to corrupt officials, so I dont mind her stirring some sh#t, if timeframes are reasonable.

Regarding your link to FedEx and package value... you indicated in the op that it was EMS and further that you would be going to Thai Post for collection. My experience recently with importing from Japan through the post is the threshhold is 1,000 thb.

Reference also http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+postal+items/importingpostalitems

Regarding your link to FedEx and package value... you indicated in the op that it was EMS and further that you would be going to Thai Post for collection. My experience recently with importing from Japan through the post is the threshhold is 1,000 thb.

Reference also http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+postal+items/importingpostalitems

Folks, I'm telling you — it's a new regulation, that took place couple of month ago! You don't expect Thai authorities to update their websites more than once a decade, do you?

Original note:

http://www.ctat.or.th/AnnouncementCustomsDepartmentD/34/1527/%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B0%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A8%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%A8%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%88-412558

Use google translate if you don't believe me.

On my receipt it clearly says 1,500 baht threshold, hence the made up "minimally taxable" value of 1,600 baht they imposed on me.

Edited by andreww

The taxes are calculated using the CIF value so include the EMS cost.

Putting a receipt in the box is not declaring the value

THB500 is nothing. Consider yourself lucky.

The current threshold is 1500 thb but subject to a couple of provisos which they enforce if you appeal. The actual CIF/Postage/EMS fee has to be visible on the outside of the package and the item declaration has to be correct.

The taxes are calculated using the CIF value so include the EMS cost.

Putting a receipt in the box is not declaring the value

THB500 is nothing. Consider yourself lucky.

The current threshold is 1500 thb but subject to a couple of provisos which they enforce if you appeal. The actual CIF/Postage/EMS fee has to be visible on the outside of the package and the item declaration has to be correct.

Thanks. I stand corrected.