Yellow book for a single guy at Banglamung, any recent experiences?

Hey folks,

I am going to be buying a new motorbike soon and when I bought bikes before I needed a residency certificate for the ownership transfer, however, I understand the yellow book can also be used as residency proof for such transactions and has other uses.

For instance while traveling around Thailand, most places i have been have accept a Thai DL to get the Thai admission price, but some places wanted to see a yellow book. I like to travel on my bike, why I'm getting a new and bigger one, and I sure don't like paying falang prices at parks and such.

With all this in mind, I have decided to see if I can get myself a yellow book. I am headed off to the land office in Nakluea tomorrow for info straight from the horses mouth, but I thought I'd ask about any recent experiences here at this office in particular. As with so many things here, every office seems to be different.

FWIW here are my details.

I am unmarried and live alone in an apartment. I have lived in this apartment for almost 2 years now.

I am pretty good friends with the owner of the building and see him almost every day. I see no problem with getting him to provide some document copies for me.

I am currently on an ED visa with about 45 days left on the final extension for the year.

I turn 50 in about 30 days and will be changing to an O visa soon, doing retirement extensions after that.

I plan on spending probably at least one more year here in this apartment, although I am contemplating relocating to another region, current plan is to travel a lot this next year and look for an area I could be happy to move to.

The only potential issue I see from other posts on the topic, and thinking about the guys I have been talking to, is the fact that I am not married to a Thai. The friends who I have discussed this with, knowledgeable long time residents who have yellow books, are married. The only other post about a single guy getting a yellow book I found was archived with not a single response.

Any advice is appreciated and I will report my experience here as it happens.

We have similar situations. I too am a single guy, w/ TGF, and would like to avoid the hassle of res cert. ect., every time I want to do something.

It seems a Yellow Tam baan is the book that will take of the res cert problem, but are they available for us? Anyone know?

If I could lock in my cheap rent (7200) , a thirty year lease or Usefruct and the yellow book, that would be the <deleted>. thumbsup.gif

I live in Naklua and the office that issues them for this area is Pattaya City Hall on North Pattaya Road. They had a handout with the requirements that they give out when people come in to ask about it.

Have 1 year visa (or extension of stay)

residence cert from immigration

Translation of passport certified by Thai Ministy of Foreign Affairs

2 Photos

2 Thai witnesses with ID and housebook

the last requirement is something that shows the name and birthdate of your mother and father. Can letter from embassy or other docs. Best option is copy of birth certificate (must have certified translation)

Not sure how this works out in practice but this is from the handout they provide.

I got mine a couple of years ago, I am single , live in Nongprue district so used Nongprue Municipal Office up Soi Nernplubwan, had my passport translated by a office on Soi Post Office, my Thai partner plus a neighbour acted as witnesses, I have extension of stay based on retirement, don't recall getting certificate of residence from immigration ? but that could just be memory lapse! Pretty straight forward, paid 100 baht for photocopying, two weeks later picked up my yellow book. The only downside was the driving licence centre in Pattaya will not accept yellow book as proof of residence!

City hall, not the land office? Seeing contradictory info there, but that's why I am doing this.

Wasn't able to get out to check yesterday, but am going out to investigate today.

Thanks for the replies

the office you use probably depends on your location. I'm in Naklua on Soi 16 and City Hall (North Pattaya Rd) issued me my blue book when I bought my condo and that's where I got the Yellow Book info posted above

City hall, not the land office? Seeing contradictory info there, but that's why I am doing this.

Wasn't able to get out to check yesterday, but am going out to investigate today.

Thanks for the replies

the office you use probably depends on your location. I'm in Naklua on Soi 16 and City Hall (North Pattaya Rd) issued me my blue book when I bought my condo and that's where I got the Yellow Book info posted above

I am actually on the darkside, across the line into Nongprue, so according to the poster before you, it's the office on nern plab wan that I want, almost just around the corner.

LTO did not accept the house book? 555 TIT

I found the Nongprue office and got some good information today.

First off, the office is not exactly on Soi Nern Plab Wan, it is at 12.92317, 100.93732, near the wat. Go all the way to the east end of Soi Nern Plab Wan and turn right, go a couple hundred meters and turn left into the driveway at the amphitheater, keep going past the amphitheater and you will see the big city office building on your right.

First off the lady behind the counter was super nice, actually maybe the nicest most helpful person behind a government desk I have dealt with in a really long time.

I told her what I wanted to do and she asked if I had my landlords number, I found it on my phone and she gave him a call, they chatted in Thai for a few minutes then hung up. She told me it would be no problem, landlord was happy to come down to help. She gave me a list of documents I need to get together and offered to do the Passport translation for me for 1000 baht. Since then, I have asked around a little and this seems like a pretty common price point for the service, so it seems to me having her do it is a perfect solution to that part. I can't see her rejecting her own translation...

Documents needed:

Translation of passport and photocopies of passport

Names of Father and Mother translated into Thai (will bring birth certificate and copy in case they decide they need that after all.)

Residence Certificate from Jomtien immigration

Some (3?) 2 inch sized passport photos

I have no kids and not married so no need to bring marriage/child documents

Copy of the blue book house registration and copy of ID of the person named on the blue book (my landlord) and ID copy of the second witness

When I get all these papers together, I will also need to bring my landlord and another Thai person to the city office to witness that I live where I say I live. I spoke to my landlord after my visit to the city office, and he said he can go down there anytime and will bring his brother in law who is the main maintenance guy here and knows me too, no problem. I offered to take them out for lunch and a few beers in thanks. The office is maybe 5 minutes away via motorbike, so that is much easier than getting them all the way over to Pattaya Nua or Naklua.

So far is sounds like it should be pretty easy. Time will tell though.

post-126088-0-61098200-1441284496_thumb.

Edited by Furryman

Really, just how many people have copies of their parents birth certificates ?

SInce you have to get a residence certificate from Immigration any way, you can use that to purchase your new motor bike

I am afraid that all the "benefits" that you say a Yellow Book are going to give you are not necessarily correct and all can also be obtained just by the Residency Certificate from Immigration

So don't think that your magic Yellow Book is going to give you anything other than the bragging rights that you have it.

The only mandatory reason for a Yellow Book is that it is required should you ever want to apply for permanent residency

SInce you have to get a residence certificate from Immigration any way, you can use that to purchase your new motor bike

I am afraid that all the "benefits" that you say a Yellow Book are going to give you are not necessarily correct and all can also be obtained just by the Residency Certificate from Immigration

So don't think that your magic Yellow Book is going to give you anything other than the bragging rights that you have it.

The only mandatory reason for a Yellow Book is that it is required should you ever want to apply for permanent residency

First off, I am talking about MY birth certificate which shows my parents names. Don't most people have a copy of this around?

Secondly, the yellow book is currently the document that National Parks are asking for in order for a falang to get the Thai entry price. This alone should save me hundreds of baht on every park entry. As I plan to do a lot more motorcycle trips around Thailand now that I'm finishing school, it should pay for itself within the first couple of trips.

Third, why so uptight man? Chill out.

First off, I am talking about MY birth certificate which shows my parents names. Don't most people have a copy of this around?

Secondly, the yellow book is currently the document that National Parks are asking for in order for a falang to get the Thai entry price. This alone should save me hundreds of baht on every park entry. As I plan to do a lot more motorcycle trips around Thailand now that I'm finishing school, it should pay for itself within the first couple of trips.

Third, why so uptight man? Chill out.

Do a search here at TV on Yellow Books, before you tell me to chill out. You obviously don't understand the the system if you are surprised that the Land Office does not care about the Yellow or Blue books, that is because they are house registration documents, not land documents. Just like Immigration doesn't care about your Drivers license

You are on your way to be a real Thai Visa Warrior, ask a question and then get bent out of shape if you don't like or agree with the answer. Next time don't ask

But since you can't use the search function here I will do it for you:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/796655-yellow-book-and-national-parks/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/156485-yellow-tabien-bahn/

FWIW I did a search, and read the whole yellow book thread. If you had actually read my post you would have seen that some of my questions stemmed from questions raised by what I found in my searches. In particular the thing about not being married. Have you seen the post with not a single answer from a single guy asking about the yellow book? I did, because I did a search.

I have to say that I was very amused to re-read the very first words in the first post you pointed me to:

I went to Tat Ton National park, showed my 5 year DL. No longer good enough. Now you have carry a yellow book.

Well I hope your research revealed that there have been reports of Pattaya Land Transport office refusing the Yellow Book and only accepting the Residency permit issued by Immigration or your Embassy

Getting or not getting a Yellow Book has absolutely nothing to do with your marital status, single or married, It just shows where you live, not who you live with

Yeah I saw the reports. It sort of cracks me up because you need a residence certificate plus more documentary evidence to get the yellow book.

I figured marital status should not matter, but I have been here long enough to realize that what should be and what is are not always the same :) and the question seemed unanswered.

I got mine a couple of years ago, I am single , live in Nongprue district so used Nongprue Municipal Office up Soi Nernplubwan, had my passport translated by a office on Soi Post Office, my Thai partner plus a neighbour acted as witnesses, I have extension of stay based on retirement, don't recall getting certificate of residence from immigration ? but that could just be memory lapse! Pretty straight forward, paid 100 baht for photocopying, two weeks later picked up my yellow book. The only downside was the driving licence centre in Pattaya will not accept yellow book as proof of residence!

"The only downside was the driving licence centre in Pattaya will not accept yellow book as proof of residence! "

Actually they will, I renewed my licence last week with my Surin issued yellow book. I suspect it depends on the phase of the moon if it is accepted or not.

"The only downside was the driving licence centre in Pattaya will not accept yellow book as proof of residence! "

Actually they will, I renewed my licence last week with my Surin issued yellow book. I suspect it depends on the phase of the moon if it is accepted or not.

Not the first conflicting report I have seen on this. Phases of the moon theory as good as any I suppose...

I live in Naklua and the office that issues them for this area is Pattaya City Hall on North Pattaya Road. They had a handout with the requirements that they give out when people come in to ask about it.

Have 1 year visa (or extension of stay)

residence cert from immigration

Translation of passport certified by Thai Ministy of Foreign Affairs

2 Photos

2 Thai witnesses with ID and housebook

the last requirement is something that shows the name and birthdate of your mother and father. Can letter from embassy or other docs. Best option is copy of birth certificate (must have certified translation)

Not sure how this works out in practice but this is from the handout they provide.

I did mine in Chiang Mai and what you say is basically correct. However, the passport translation in my case did not have to be certified, (I asked the lady at the Ampur if she could recommend a translator and she gave me the number of her friend who ran a translation service in the city)

The names of both of your parents and their dates of birth also must be translated into Thai. We had to bring two witnesses, one was the Pu Yai Bahn and the was a friend. Neither would take a single Baht for their help (They had to do a 30KM round trip on two occasions!- so I bought them some bottles of whisky).

I also mean't to mention, you need your own name translated into Thai script.

SCB Banks and the Transport offices ALL accept the Yellow book as residency, never a problem. What was surprising was that when doing my bike and car licence at the same office on the same day my bike licence uses my passport number but the car licence has my Yellow book ID, Strange?

Edited by menzies233

Actually thanks for reminding me. I've been meaning to get a copy of my birth certificate for quite awhile and never even thought about my parents names being on it until you mentioned it.

Just did a search online, found the correct provincial ministry, spent 5 minutes trying to remember what my mother's maiden name was (never actually knew her to be honest) and sent in the request. The Certificate will have my info of course as well as the names of my parents on it.

(I recall one time when I was applying for a visa for India they too wanted to know my parents names for some reason.)

As far as the Yellow Book is concerned I'll probably do it as well once my certificate comes. Not only will that save me 2-3 trips to soi 5 every year for Residency Certificates but I think it is useful as well when you do your Non-O(A) extension as well, as proof of residence ?

Would help me right now as well as I need a stack of paperwork for my village so that they will connect me to the new water line they are installing. Seems I also need a map showing them where I live. rolleyes.gif

In my opinion, the Yellow Book is worth pursuing if you need proof of residency.

Getting this from immigration is a pain and it costs. It also expires so you have to go back and apply for another.

The Yellow Book has been very useful to me for:

1. Not having to repeatedly go to immigration for a residency certificate. Last time I did they wanted 1000 baht.

2. Accepted for getting my Thai car and bike licence and renewals.

3. Some parks will except a Thai licence for a discount but some ask for the Yellow Book.

4. Also gave me a bank a/c with BAAC.

5. The numerous times I've needed to establish my residency.

I have found it a very useful document to have.

I have had another friend just inform me today that you can use the yellow book to register yourself at the local government hospital to get health care services at Thai prices as well. Sounds better and better.

Re: birth certificate, I thought I had mine but it does not seem to be in with my big folder of documents :( I have the information, names and DOBs, and the list of documents Nongpreu wants does not ask for the BC, so I'm gonna try to do it without the BC, though I'm going to order a new copy if I can't find it after a more exhaustive search.

I have always got mine at the Amphur office where I am residing. It requires the presence of the house owner and one other witness. The Amphur requires a copy of the house owners ID and a copy of the owners chanote. It takes about four hours out of the lives of these folks. I always take a gift wrapped box of cookies to give to the house owner, the witness and the Amphur head.

I got my Yellow Book in Chiang Mai (Hang Dong Amphur). I am single, but I had my Thai GF help.

The lady at the Amphur initially mentioned about better to be married, but after some discussion, she accepted that it wasn't necessary for what is as others have stated merely a proof of residency. My GF said that Thais don't need to be married to get a Blue Book, so why should farang be married for a Yellow Book which does the same thing for us.

The Land Officer also wanted to personally check the house and talk to the neighbours (check there wasn't a meth factory probably), but in the end, didn't bother with anything more than a signed ID from the Por Yai Baan. I got the impression that how you interact with them and come across is important, as is your reason for having a Yellow Book . She was neurotic apparently about my possibly using the YB for nefarious purposes and her being held responsible for having issued it which gives some insight into their reluctance to deal with the issue and something to bear in mind.

So short answer is yes you can get as a single guy, but it helps to have a Thai vouch for you (and you will need anyway to sort out the stuff at the Land Office and Village Head and stuff). I translated my own Passport (with help from my GF and Google Translate). They just need the information rather than have anything certified. Same for your parents' details. In the West, we are not used to having to give information about our parents, but in Asia, it tends to be a much bigger deal (not least as they don't always have family Surnames the same way we do in the West)

Hope this helps

Actually thanks for reminding me. I've been meaning to get a copy of my birth certificate for quite awhile and never even thought about my parents names being on it until you mentioned it.

Just did a search online, found the correct provincial ministry, spent 5 minutes trying to remember what my mother's maiden name was (never actually knew her to be honest) and sent in the request. The Certificate will have my info of course as well as the names of my parents on it.

(I recall one time when I was applying for a visa for India they too wanted to know my parents names for some reason.)

As far as the Yellow Book is concerned I'll probably do it as well once my certificate comes. Not only will that save me 2-3 trips to soi 5 every year for Residency Certificates but I think it is useful as well when you do your Non-O(A) extension as well, as proof of residence ?

Would help me right now as well as I need a stack of paperwork for my village so that they will connect me to the new water line they are installing. Seems I also need a map showing them where I live. rolleyes.gif

India, like many Asian countries, doesn't use family surnames the way we do, so the way that you establish your parentage and lineage is to say that you are "Raj Tapir son of Srinath Narendra" or whatever. Asian countries also tend to put a lot more importance on parentage as well than we do from Western countries.

There is a contingent here on ThaiVisa that likes to minimize the usefulness of the Yellow Tambien Baan, talking about how it is so difficult to acquire, and delights in crowing about the fact that the Yellow Tambien Baan is not accepted in Pattaya when obtaining a driver's license.

The potential uses of said document have been listed in other posts...any of those seems to be reason enough to obtain it.

Like many things here in our adopted country, requirements vary by amphur...here in Chok Chai, I did not need a translation of my passport, for example. But they were interested in and put some weight on my photocopies of the work permit that I had in 2006/2007. But I would not call any of it difficult.

Lastly, <deleted> Pattaya! I have not been there for years and do not care if I never go there again. And even there, conflicting reports are seen as to whether the Yellow Tambien Baan can be used as proof of residence.

My experience here has been, the more official documentation you have, the more impressed the functionaries seem to be. So why not have it, if you can obtain it.

I do not expect anyone to be impressed by the fact that I was able to obtain the Yellow Tambien Baan, and I do not feel that it gives me any sort of bragging rights. I went through the small amount of effort that it took as a means to making things easier...so far, it has saved me two trips to Immigration for Proof of Residence forms.

I have had another friend just inform me today that you can use the yellow book to register yourself at the local government hospital to get health care services at Thai prices as well. Sounds better and better.

Re: birth certificate, I thought I had mine but it does not seem to be in with my big folder of documents sad.png I have the information, names and DOBs, and the list of documents Nongpreu wants does not ask for the BC, so I'm gonna try to do it without the BC, though I'm going to order a new copy if I can't find it after a more exhaustive search.

Totally not true. Yes, there were a few folks up country that were erroneously enrolled in the government health system based upon the having a Yellow Book , but once the Thai authorities found out about this those privileges were quickly revoked

See what our resident health expert, Sheryl, says on the matter:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/517331-expats-with-yellow-book-to-prove-residency/?p=4903155 (post#11)

Re: birth certificate, I thought I had mine but it does not seem to be in with my big folder of documents sad.png I have the information, names and DOBs, and the list of documents Nongpreu wants does not ask for the BC, so I'm gonna try to do it without the BC, though I'm going to order a new copy if I can't find it after a more exhaustive search.

Totally not true. Yes, there were a few folks up country that were erroneously enrolled in the government health system based upon the having a Yellow Book , but once the Thai authorities found out about this those privileges were quickly revoked

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/517331-expats-with-yellow-book-to-prove-residency/?p=4903155 (post#11)

/shrug

Juzt tonight we were talking about this and the guys were showing me the hospital cards they have.

Maybe they are something different than the Thai cards. Honestly, I have not delved into the mysteries of the Thai health care system at all. Just passing on information, and being clear where it came from.

There is a contingent here on ThaiVisa that likes to minimize the usefulness of the Yellow Tambien Baan, talking about how it is so difficult to acquire, and delights in crowing about the fact that the Yellow Tambien Baan is not accepted in Pattaya when obtaining a driver's license. ...

(In David Attenborough voice).... "If we wait here quietly while they type their response, I am sure one will pop out of the bushes shortly."

Look! There he is!