Phuket experts baffled by Aussie tourist mystery fish bite

webfact

"The March 16, 2009, incident involved a cookiecutter shark repeatedly attacking Spalding as he attempted to cross the Alenuihaha Channel from Hawaii to Maui. After sunset on that day, Spalding first felt a "pin prick" sensation on his chest, which turned out to be a cookiecutter shark nibble. (Sharks often take a taste before going in for a second chomp.) The shark later continued to bite, even attacking Spalding as he climbed into a rescue kayak during the event"

Perhaps you could tell Mr Spalding, the victim of this shark in the picture I displayed above, that it didn't really happen as you've decided they only live below 85 metres!

As it turned out my shark theory was a lot more accurate than your rogue light globe story Bull.....!

Little point of clarification. Waters surrounding Hawaii are Pacific Ocean and are deep. Thousands of feet deep. Waters surrounding Thailand in particular Phuket are shallow. Here, 100ft is considered deep. Not same there old croc

Just let it slide 2fishin2. If Croc of has to admit he was wrong he will have an apoplexy.

I theorise that the culprit may be a particular type of fish and you think you've disproved my theory by declaring the fish lives below 85 metres.

When I provide evidence that the fish has attacked a person at the surface your mate comes along and states that the water underneath that attack was deep. You, and him, think that proves that an attack on a person couldn't happen!. I don't think either of you realise the silliness of your statements.

When I'm wrong I admit it, and have done so a few times over the years on this forum.. Are you going to admit the foolishness of your statements that there are no fish in Phuket waters and the injury came from a light globe?

Incidentally. having subsequently found out that the victim also had bite marks on the bottom of her foot and was shaken by the biter, it's obvious my theory couldn't be correct. The only one who seems to have got it right was the poster who said it may have been a bull shark.

Edited by Rimmer
Flame

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The March 16, 2009, incident involved a cookiecutter shark repeatedly attacking Spalding as he attempted to cross the Alenuihaha Channel from Hawaii to Maui. After sunset on that day, Spalding first felt a "pin prick" sensation on his chest, which turned out to be a cookiecutter shark nibble. (Sharks often take a taste before going in for a second chomp.) The shark later continued to bite, even attacking Spalding as he climbed into a rescue kayak during the event"

Perhaps you could tell Mr Spalding, the victim of this shark in the picture I displayed above, that it didn't really happen as you've decided they only live below 85 metres!

As it turned out my shark theory was a lot more accurate than your rogue light globe story Bull.....!

Little point of clarification. Waters surrounding Hawaii are Pacific Ocean and are deep. Thousands of feet deep. Waters surrounding Thailand in particular Phuket are shallow. Here, 100ft is considered deep. Not same there old croc

Just let it slide 2fishin2. If Croc of has to admit he was wrong he will have an apoplexy.

I theorise that the culprit may be a particular type of fish and you think you've disproved my theory by declaring the fish lives below 85 metres.

When I provide evidence that the fish has attacked a person at the surface your mate comes along and states that the water underneath that attack was deep. You, and him, think that proves that an attack on a person couldn't happen!. I don't think either of you realise the silliness of your statements.

When I'm wrong I admit it, and have done so a few times over the years on this forum.. Are you going to admit the foolishness of your statements that there are no fish in Phuket waters and the injury came from a light globe?

Incidentally. having subsequently found out that the victim also had bite marks on the bottom of her foot and was shaken by the biter, it's obvious my theory couldn't be correct. The only one who seems to have got it right was the poster who said it may have been a bull shark.

Old Croc, a shark expert has examined the injury and has determined without a doubt a shark bite.

Its obvious you arent a waterman such as myself and dont understand the ocean or anything about it. If you did, you would not have resorted to making statements about an animal that does not live in these waters.

The ocean and reefs are divided into specific zones all over the world. Your creature lives in the "deep water" zone of which phuket does not reside. The area where the attack took place is considered the "tidal/shallow water zone.

The attack you mentioned and referenced in the HI attack was "at the surface" yes but it is totally different than off the beach.

If you will look at the pic of the black fish that has also been posted. That fish is also a "deep water" species and as such, has the large eyes.

More than likely since the expert has confirmed it as a shark bite, its a small black tip reef shark. This is the most common shark found in the shallow waters of Phuket.

For the record, I have thousands of hours over the course of 24 years spearing fish in different Pacific waters, Thailand included. Have seen and encountered many sharks during this time,

And you have what experience?

Edited by Rimmer

Old Croc, a shark expert has examined the injury and has determined without a doubt a shark bite.

Its obvious you arent a waterman such as myself and dont understand the ocean or anything about it. If you did, you would not have resorted to making statements about an animal that does not live in these waters.

The ocean and reefs are divided into specific zones all over the world. Your creature lives in the "deep water" zone of which phuket does not reside. The area where the attack took place is considered the "tidal/shallow water zone.

The attack you mentioned and referenced in the HI attack was "at the surface" yes but it is totally different than off the beach.

If you will look at the pic of the black fish that has also been posted. That fish is also a "deep water" species and as such, has the large eyes.

More than likely since the expert has confirmed it as a shark bite, its a small black tip reef shark. This is the most common shark found in the shallow waters of Phuket.

For the record, I have thousands of hours over the course of 24 years spearing fish in different Pacific waters, Thailand included. Have seen and encountered many sharks during this time,

That expert has never even been to Thailand and does not know the local waters.

I do, and find a puffer the most probable perp.

A fairly arrogant and presumptuous post Waterman.

For your information I have owned several boats and spent thousands of hours on and in the oceans over about 40 years. I am a licensed diver and have dived many times on The Great Barrier and Ningaloo reefs, Rottnest Island as well as some Indonesian Islands. For several decades I spent my holidays on two or three week fishing/camping trips in Australia's north-west waters where everyday was spent at sea, weather permitting. (I have posted photos of myself with various fish, on Thaivisa several times over the ten years I've been a member, which would verify these statements.)

It's very clever being a smart a.... after the fact and quoting from a later report which gives all the details previously unknown.

I believe your initial guess was that the lady had been bitten by a surgeon fish, also quite impossible in light of the subsequent report that you're using to disprove my theory.

Incidentally you also talked about moray eel bites. I've been bitten by one myself (fortunately a small one) and while the bite was very painful with the needle like teeth going in to the bone in my finger, there was no ripping of flesh like the lady's wound.

So, Waterman, perhaps you could explain why you, and your mate Bulldozer, have so vehemently attacked my theory, and added personal insults, when your own theories. and that of a number of others, were also wrong?

He is convincing, and it does fit bull shark behaviour.

But a bull shark encounter here in the area, I'm having problems accepting that.

At least two blacktip reef sharks have been caught in local waters in recent years (pictured in local media). Perhaps the answer is that simple, even though they are not generally known to attack people..

He is convincing, and it does fit bull shark behaviour.

But a bull shark encounter here in the area, I'm having problems accepting that.

At least two blacktip reef sharks have been caught in local waters in recent years (pictured in local media). Perhaps the answer is that simple, even though they are not generally known to attack people..

Yes, quite a few blacktips in the area, and a blacktip seems to me much more likely than a bull shark.