maintenance charge in my condo

Hi pepole

• I had a small leak in a pipe In the hot water unit under the sink in the bathroom the other week.it was not a big problem it was just like a pin whole in the pipe.Hardly any water at all but I thought I should let my agency know even if it was not a problem for me.When I paid my rent money today they have charged me 180b charge for replacing the pipe.I pointed out that there is no way I can damage the pipe myself and i should not be the one paying.She pointed out that it is in my contract.

The Contract says

Tenant shall have the obligation to maintain the premises at all times (minor repairs and /or replacements up to a maximum cost of 1000b per month)

I could not be bothered to kick up a fuss at the time she said it is the owners decision to put that in the contract and not hers .Now I am a landlord myself in the UK and wouldn't dream of trying to pull that one.so i just want to know has anyone else had this problem or got this in there contract.Or is it once again a Thai person miking a Westerner would a Thai pay this I don't think so.

My contract runs out next month and I was to lazy to look for anywhere else. But now I am think of looking just out of principle and tell them why. Next i will just leave the leak maybe the hole will get bigger and flood downstairs. Then it will be more then a 1000b maintenance charge.

It is clearly in your contract so not sure what the question is. Sounds as if you could have immediately have had the hose replaced and not have to wait for owner so perhaps a plus for many - expect it may allow slightly lower rent payment also.

Typical for a contract to require the tenant to take care of odds and ends up to the equivalent of a deductible.

Otherwise, the landlord could spend hours and hours replacing lightbulbs, oiling squeaky hinges, and various other minuscule chores for a picky tenant.

When a genuine repair comes up, it's going to be over 1000 baht.

To the OP, what's in your UK rental contract, and when was the last time you were called on to replace a light bulb or oil a hinge? Can you see the connection?

Edit: Could have been worse. A bad landlord would have billed you 990 baht for the same repair, and still been within the contract.

Edited by impulse