More of Bangkok's tangled cables to go underground

webfact

More of Bangkok's tangled cables to go underground
By Coconuts Bangkok

cable.jpg
Photo of tourists amazed by Thailand's ingenious cabling went viral in November

BANGKOK: -- The cabinet yesterday approved a project to move some of the city's electric cables underground.

The familiar sight of messy overhead cables will soon disappear from 39 roads in Bangkok. The project is a bid to improve the look of the city in preparation for the launch of the ASEAN Community at the end of 2015, according to deputy government spokesman Maj. Gen. Veerachon Sukhonthapatipark, deputy spokesman of the government.

Full story http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/09/02/more-bangkoks-tangled-cables-go-underground

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-09-02

LoL - the rats nest of wiring seems to affect most every major city in Thailand (and a few other countries to be honest). Hardly a day goes by where I'm driving down some road or soi and don't see various cables dangling down to the road. Most I'm guessing are TV/Internet cables, but not all. Some are just downright scary !

But then again, without all those excess cables how would various workers be able to do their jobs ?

1654334_10152713471799220_53994446124611

BANGKOK
Cabinet okays project to put power lines under ground

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Cabinet on Tuesday approved the project have electrical wires and power lines run under the ground along Bangkok's 39 routes covering 127.3 kilometers.

The project, which will use a Bt143 budget from the Metropolitan Electricity Authority, is meant to make the capital city a beautiful tourist destination, deputy government spokesman Maj-General Weerachon Sukondhapatipak said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Cabinet-okays-project-to-put-power-lines-under-gro-30268029.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-03

Every other major metropolitan area which has undertaken moving cabling underground, especially if that cable involves electrical cabling, have simultaneously undertaken special training and equipment for fighting underground fires. In all probability there is already some consideration for fighting underground transit fires, however exploding transformers and burning insulation in confined spaces is a unique challenge.

Worldwide, in some highly developed cities, there have been a number of underground electrical fires that continued for many days. Just wondering about Bangkok's plan .

We know it will never get done ,

but look up on Google what happened in Long Beach California a month or so ago ,

No power for 2-3 days in the area where the underground wiring was ,

Even though it looks horrible bangkoks above ground wiring rats nest seems to work Ok ,

if it ain't broke don't fix it :)

We know it will never get done ,

but look up on Google what happened in Long Beach California a month or so ago ,

No power for 2-3 days in the area where the underground wiring was ,

Even though it looks horrible bangkoks above ground wiring rats nest seems to work Ok ,

if it ain't broke don't fix it smile.png

During almost every heavy rainstorm we loose electricity. In Europe it almost never happens, maybe once in 2 years for some hours.

So now when it floods I'll have to worry about electrocution as well... excellent! clap2.gif

You mean you don't have to now, with all those electrical cables dangling around your head?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

During the big flooding our electricity always worked, serious.

The waterlevel was 20 cm under the lowest outlets in the living room.

What worries me more is the big trucks driving under the cables, i've seen them pulling down big bunches of hot wires with their high load. When those wires fall onto a person i assume he/she is fried.