Name for thai english child

Next week after my son is born I will be going through the Bangkok authorities to register his name.

My wife is Thai so first it will be the Thai registration, can anybody advise me on the rules for names. We would like him to have my own Christian name first then a Thai name as middle name.

Any advice would be appreciated.

A friend had a problem with registering a farrang first name for his child very recently. According to the local amphur a Thai child could only have a Thai name. It took 2 calls from the embassy to change their mind. Maybe they were looking for a little palm greasing initially, though..

• 4 years later...

post-48448-1183604939_thumb.jpg

My wife is Thai and we have just regestared my baby girl in Chiang Mai, her name on the papers from the hospital was Mary Rose Nash. At the Amper they said we could only have one first name so she is now called Maryrose Nash She also has a pasport now and the next job will be to get her birth recorded in the UK this I am doing through the British Consulate. You should not have a problem.

Graham Nash.

<font color='#000000'>Next week after my son is born I will be going through the Bangkok authorities to register his name.

My wife is Thai so first it will be the Thai registration, can anybody advise me on the rules for names. We would like him to have my own Christian name first then a Thai name as middle name.

Any advice would be appreciated.</font>

My wife is due our baby next month. The baby will have my surname and my wife gets to pick the first name. I am going to provide five options for both male and female from which my wife can choose the nickname. We are not going to bother with a Christian name as neither of us is Christian. I am not sure about the rules for names but imagine it is quite straighfoward.

post-48448-1183604939_thumb.jpg

My wife is Thai and we have just regestared my baby girl in Chiang Mai, her name on the papers from the hospital was Mary Rose Nash. At the Amper they said we could only have one first name so she is now called Maryrose Nash She also has a pasport now and the next job will be to get her birth recorded in the UK this I am doing through the British Consulate. You should not have a problem.

Graham Nash.

Congratulations on the beautiful baby

My experience - twice in the past 5 years in BKK - is that the hospital will register the name (English, Thai or combination) while the wife is in hospital. I think, from memory, that by the time the wife checked out that we either had the thai birth certificate or we had a temporary receipt to go back and receive it from the hospital days later. Took the Thai birth certificate to the British embassy and got a British b.c (may have been some translations required, i don't recall). Then applied for Thai passport with the Thai b.c and British passport with British b.c

Remember with our first boy, we agreed on farlang christian name and my wife was to come up with any thai name she fancied as his middle name while i was at work. When i got back to the hospital that evening his 'thai' name was william - she'd changed her mind. Our second son has only one name, Ben (short form), not a problem registering with the thai authorities.

• 5 months later...

As others have mentioned you may get problems at the Ampur.Only a few weeks ago I took our new baby daughter to Koh Samui ampur to register the birth.Despite the fact that we wanted English names they told my wife that the baby had to have a Thai first name although an English middle name was acceptable.They then proceeded to hand my wife a book of Thai names telling her to choose one! If I hadn't intervened then my daughter would now have a Thai name "express style" as my wife was accepting the "official" line.

Anyway I'm pleased to report my daughter now has the names we intended for her after I took the matter further.However whether she will be so pleased with our choices in later life remains to be seen! By the way if you do decide on a foreign name always take great care that the Thai translation is correct as this may cause complications later when applying for your child's British or other foreign passport.

It would seem, looking through this thread, that it's just pot-luck as to how you're allowed to name your child, according to who's on duty at the time!

We gave our Thailand-born son an English first name, Thai second, English third and then my English surname! No problems initially registering the name nor when applying for his Thai passport.

By the way if you do decide on a foreign name always take great care that the Thai translation is correct as this may cause complications later when applying for your child's British or other foreign passport.

Indeed! The only hassle we did have was that the nurse who took down the details at birth mis-transliterated our surname into Thai script and we didn't spot it until we were about to apply for his passport. So in the end we then had to "un-register" him and get a new, corrected, birth-certificate. An hour or so and 30 baht at the local Amphur's office straightened that out.

I agree.

It might be a good idea to ask an educated Thai person how the farang name should be written in the Thai alphabet, and, of course, check and double-check that the nurse / district office employee got it right.