Lesbian couple, like Kentucky clerk, standing up for beliefs

webfact

One tweet really said it all:

"No one's being jailed for practicing her religion.
Someone's being jailed for using the government to force others to practice her religion."

Even strict constitutional interpreter Justice Scalia believes if one cannot perform a job for one's own personal convictions, then quit.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The judge that jailed Davis gave her deputies the authority Davis was denying them:

MOREHEAD, Ky. The order from U.S. District Judge David L. Bunning was clear: Five of the six deputy clerks in Rowan County must begin issuing marriage licences to all couples on Friday.

The deputies agreed to Bunnings order under oath in federal court.

When the Rowan County Courthouse opened for business Friday, a clerk was seated at the counter, behind a sign that read: Marriage License Deputy.

Holding hands, James Yates and William Smith Jr. entered the media-filled courthouse shortly after 8, and began the process of applying for a marriage license for at least the sixth time.

By 8:15, the couple had obtained their license.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/09/04/with-defiant-clerk-in-jail-gay-marriage-licenses-finally-issued-in-kentucky-county/?tid=sm_tw

Her lawyer, as you'd expect, is contesting this even though she is now out of the picture. This is because it was never about fighting for her religious freedom (untenable as that argument was) but about denying gays the freedom to get married.

T

Edited by Thakkar

The judge that jailed Davis gave her deputies the authority Davis was denying them:

MOREHEAD, Ky. The order from U.S. District Judge David L. Bunning was clear: Five of the six deputy clerks in Rowan County must begin issuing marriage licences to all couples on Friday.

When the Rowan County Courthouse opened for business Friday, a clerk was seated at the counter, behind a sign that read: Marriage License Deputy.

Holding hands, James Yates and William Smith Jr. entered the media-filled courthouse shortly after 8, and began the process of applying for a marriage license for at least the sixth time.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/09/04/with-defiant-clerk-in-jail-gay-marriage-licenses-finally-issued-in-kentucky-county/?tid=sm_tw

Her lawyer, as you'd expect, is contesting this even though she is now out of the picture. This is because it was never about fighting for her religious freedom (untenable as that argument was) but about denying gays the freedom to get married.

T

Wait what happens when her son has to issue one. Should be easy to solve though since he is not elected.

T

Wait what happens when her son has to issue one. Should be easy to solve though since he is not elected.

With all those dads to learn from, he would've learned NOT to trust his mother's judgement. I suspect he's dutifully doing the job he's paid to do.

T

T

With all those dads to learn from, he would've learned NOT to trust his mother's judgement. I suspect he's dutifully doing the job he's paid to do.

T

No, I think he wants honourable mention in the book deal he and his mother are anticipating, and which I think is underlying her entire stance.

T

No, I think he wants honourable mention in the book deal he and his mother are anticipating, and which I think is underlying her entire stance.
Could be. I didn't think of that. Grifters will grift. She'll need the book deal even more now because gofundme and other sites have now blocked this kind of grifting since those bigoted bakers tried to make money off their religious piety.

T

The following is a gift from me to any mischievous liberals out there :

"Kim Davis is a Democrat with a high $84,000(!) salary not commensurate with her simple job. She's just another liberal moocher sucking from the government teat."

Take that and post it at Conservative forums to make their heads explode!

You're welcome.

T

Dude we're sick of being treated as second class citizens by bigots. Some offices that won't serve gays or blacks. Forget about it bigots. You lost.

There is no religious edict against black people, so there's no cover under religion for that.

She isn't stopping homosexuals from living together, just getting married, which is a mistake, but it hardly makes her a bigot.

Dude not that long ago interracial marriage was illegal in a number of states. The disgusting racists back then also used religion as a justification. You're on the wrong side of history. Again it's over. The bigots lost again.

The bible says gays should be put to death. Scary stuff to believe in.

Dude we're sick of being treated as second class citizens by bigots. Some offices that won't serve gays or blacks. Forget about it bigots. You lost.

There is no religious edict against black people, so there's no cover under religion for that.

She isn't stopping homosexuals from living together, just getting married, which is a mistake, but it hardly makes her a bigot.
Dude not that long ago interracial marriage was illegal in a number of states. The disgusting racists back then also used religion as a justification. You're on the wrong side of history. Again it's over. The bigots lost again.

Perhaps but the vast majority of modern Christians do not take that literally. Unfortunately we can't say the same thing about modern Muslims.

The hate towards gays in the bible is where the bigots get their inspiration. Are you saying that the vast majority of muslims believe gays should be executed? If so, it's yet another reason to avoid religion.

Not just the Bible. I'm pretty sure the Koran has something to say about it. Everyone has been demonising Christians here, but Muslims are in the same boat, even all those poor persecuted refugees being welcomed into Europe- they hate homosexuals.

Ironically it doesn't say anything about ladies of the Lesbian persuasion.

So I reckon the prophets liked a bit of girl on girl action.

Back in those days, women were men's property, just as they are now in fundamentalist Muslim societies like Saudi. I think the punishment would have been extreme enough to ensure that there was no girl on girl action, except in places like the harem where there was a lot of women and no intact male supervision.

Perhaps but the vast majority of modern Christians do not take that literally. Unfortunately we can't say the same thing about modern Muslims.

And you like to think of yourself as a fighter against bigotry.bah.gif

I wish people would stop equating the old testament Bible with Christianity.

Jesus said "forgive your enemy", not "kill him", and "who will cast the first stone" etc.

The old testament is the Jewish Bible, though are they being true Jews if they don't adhere to the old testament instruction to kill homosexuals. perhaps some on here can explain that.

This is ridiculous and an embarrassment to the USA. If this county clerk feels she can't issue licenses as per the law of the land, fine. That is her choice--as a private citizen, not as a government official. She needs to be impeached immediately so someone who follows the law can fill the position.

I saw her on tv, and she told a couple that they were forcing their beliefs on her. It is more that she is forcing her beliefs on them.

No what is DISGUSTING is the fact that people are NOW FORCED to accept beliefs that are deemed offensive too others but they NOW FORCED to accept it.

For example while I dont care if gay people do their stuff behind closed doors, I do find it EXTREMELY offensive to watch 2 guys kissing an cannoodling in public be it religious belief or not it makes me wanna puke that is just the way it is but of course I am homophobic a bigot and any other names they want to call me but the truth TO ME AND MILLION OF OTHERS the thought of having sex with another man is disgusting but you expect me to be forced to accept that SORRY aint gonna happen.,

Now this lady is being forced against her beliefs to do something she does not believe in, I agree with her she has that right to refuse

These are the consequences of your kind of hate speech http://myinforms.com/en/a/16015579-students-react-to-claims-that-und-frat-assaults-a-man-because-hes-gay/ You hold a minority, marginal view which is offensive and in some parts of the world is now criminalised. I look forward to the day when that is the standard response to your particular brand of bile.

People refusing to accept the universality of human equality and rights because of their religious beliefs are and have been forcing others to accept their world view with an arrogance and narrow-mindedness that is truly disgusting.

Why do you make this issue about gay sex? It is about human equality under the law at least according to the majority opinion of SCOTUS. You ranting about your response to same sex PDA is both off topic and revealing.

Yes, it's about human rights and those who do not want to accept it as such i.e. consenting adults who cannot help being homosexual - are in for a much worse fate - so if yer don't want religious beliefs and laws forced upon you, go with 'human rights' - definitely the better option!

Not just the Bible. I'm pretty sure the Koran has something to say about it. Everyone has been demonising Christians here, but Muslims are in the same boat, even all those poor persecuted refugees being welcomed into Europe- they hate homosexuals.

And you're trying to get the Koran in this thread why?

I really thought it was about a woman who ended up in jail because she claims to follow Christian beliefs.

Modern Muslims as a generality are worse on this issue. That is FACT.

This thread of course is about anti-gay bigotry supposedly rationalized by Christian fundamentalism. But of course that doesn't mean that Christians are the only ones doing such things, and much worse.

http://www.economist.com/node/21546002

ONE leaflet showed a wooden doll hanging from a noose and suggested burning or stoning homosexuals. “God Abhors You” read another. A third warned gays: “Turn or Burn”. Three Muslim men who handed out the leaflets in the English city of Derby were convicted of hate crimes on January 20th. One of them, Kabir Ahmed, said his Muslim duty was “to give the message”.

That message—at least in the eyes of religious purists— is uncompromising condemnation. Of the seven countries that impose the death penalty for homosexuality, all are Muslim. Even when gays do not face execution, persecution is endemic. In 2010 a Saudi man was sentenced to 500 lashes and five years in jail for having sex with another man. In February last year, police in Bahrain arrested scores of men, mostly other Gulf nationals, at a “gay party”. Iranian gay men are typically tried on other trumped-up charges. But in September last year three were executed specifically for homosexuality. (Lesbians in Muslim countries tend to have an easier time: in Iran they are sentenced to death only on the fourth conviction.)

Edited by Jingthing