Turkish embassy skeptical Bangkok bomb suspects are Turks

webfact

Turkey skeptical Bangkok bomb suspects are Turks

BANGKOK (AP) — Turkey expressed skepticism Thursday over reports that its nationals were involved in the Aug. 17 bombing of a Bangkok landmark that killed 20 people, saying it had not received any official notification from Thailand.

The Turkish Embassy said in a statement that it has not received confirmation from Thai authorities about the nationalities of the suspects. Thai authorities have suggested that at least two of the eight suspects are possibly Turkish.

The Turkish connection has boosted a theory the suspects may be part of a group seeking to avenge Thailand's forced repatriation of ethnic Uighurs to China in July. Thailand is believed to be a transit stop for Chinese Uighurs attempting to go to Turkey.

Uighurs (pronounced WEE-gurs) are related to Turks, and Turkey is home to a large Uighur community. The bombed site, the Erawan Shrine, is especially popular with Chinese tourists, feeding the speculation that it could have been targeted by people who believe the Uighurs are oppressed by China's government.

China has alleged that among the Uighurs who were repatriated were some who intended to join Islamic State fighters in Syria.

The bombing suspects include a Thai woman said to be married to a Turkish man. Both are being sought by Thai police.

In interviews with Thai media, the woman said she was innocent. She also said she was living in Turkey.

Thai authorities have been careful not to state publicly that the case may be linked to the Uighurs. They have said that such speculation could affect international relations and hurt tourism.

"We have agreed already that I won't mention the name of a country, the name of a group or their religion. Please allow me to say that it is a network, and let's wait and see which group it is," Thai national police spokesman Prawut Thavornsiri said Thursday, when asked if the case was linked to Uighurs.

Thai security officials have suggested the suspects are part of a human trafficking ring with a grudge against Thailand. However, Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, known for his outspokenness, has stretched the theory to acknowledge it could have been a gang involved in smuggling Uighurs out of China.

The embassy statement quoted the Turkish Foreign Ministry spokesman in Ankara pointing out the Thai press reports saying that the second suspect, detained Tuesday near the Thai-Cambodian border, had a Chinese passport.

The first suspect, arrested in a raid on a Bangkok apartment, had a fake Turkish passport, the embassy said.

While suggesting that Thai officials have been providing little or no response to Turkish diplomatic queries, the statement acknowledges that each country's embassy has been in touch with its host country's foreign officials.

Thai officials have been evasive about the alleged Chinese passport, a photo of which was published by several Thai media outlets. It has a photo that closely resembles that of the arrested man, and carries the name of Mieraili Yusufu, 25 years old. His birthplace and the place of issue of the passport are listed as Xinjiang, the Uighur homeland.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-09-03

I have to agree that the Turkish link is highly suspect.

However, the Turkish Embassy, they would say that wouldn't they.

Turkey is a sectarian, democratic country on the cusp of the EU. They have a whole lot more credibility than Thailand. I don't think they would fear implication... if it was supported by... what's it called... oh yeah. Evidence. Thailand power brokers, presumably the ones with deep involvement in these "type of issues", may not understand that Turkey is quite a large, powerful (and Muslim) country. Probably best to not poke the bear, methinks.

BANGKOK BLAST
Turkey seeks clarifications over bomb case

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Turkey is seeking clarifications from Thailand over reports alleging Turkish link in the recent Bangkok bombings.

The move came one day after some recent news reports said several Turkish nationals were wanted in connection with the two blasts in the Thai capital. One of explosions rocked the Erawan Shrine on August 17, causing 20 deaths and injuring more than 100 victims including foreigners.

"Up to now this Embassy has not received any official notification from the Thai authorities concerning the arrest warrants," the Turkish embassy in Bangkok said via its statement Thursday.

According to the statement, the embassy has requested clarification by sending a verbal note to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Thailand on whether the suspect arrested on August 29 is a Turkish citizen and about the Turkish passports televised in the news.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Turkey-seeks-clarifications-over-bomb-case-30268055.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-03

Turkey is a sectarian, democratic country on the cusp of the EU. They have a whole lot more credibility than Thailand.

This hasn't been true for 12 years. You really should keep up with current events.

BS. Turkey, whilst not a full member of the EU is an economic member and none the less on its cusp, metaphorically and geographically.

Turkey is a sectarian, democratic country on the cusp of the EU. They have a whole lot more credibility than Thailand.

This hasn't been true for 12 years. You really should keep up with current events.

THey still have more credbility than Thailand

To say that Uighurs are 'related to Turks' is kind of like saying that Swedes are related to Italians, or that Germans are related to Greeks, simply because all these countries belong to the EC.

It's not strictly false, but it's somewhat ridiculous, just like we are related to our fourth degree cousins, but ... not much !

Turkey is seeking clarifications from Thailand over reports alleging Turkish link in the recent Bangkok bombings.

dear Turkey, just ask Somyot directly, he clarifies the crap out of everything...and if you're lucky he'll give 3mio bt, whether you deserve it or not.

Turkey is a sectarian, democratic country on the cusp of the EU. They have a whole lot more credibility than Thailand. I don't think they would fear implication... if it was supported by... what's it called... oh yeah. Evidence. Thailand power brokers, presumably the ones with deep involvement in these "type of issues", may not understand that Turkey is quite a large, powerful (and Muslim) country. Probably best to not poke the bear, methinks.

Did you sleep the last couple of years...this was true before Erdogan came.

To say that Uighurs are 'related to Turks' is kind of like saying that Swedes are related to Italians, or that Germans are related to Greeks, simply because all these countries belong to the EC.

It's not strictly false, but it's somewhat ridiculous, just like we are related to our fourth degree cousins, but ... not much !

Not at all. You need to do a bit more research.

The Uighur speak a Turkic language, identify themselves, and are identified by others, as a Turkic people, having strong religious and cultural ties to the various other Turkic goups, that stretch from Turkey itself through Central Asia to China. Since the fall of the Soviet Union there has been quite a stong movement for Pan-Turkism, stressing these links, and looking to create a degree of political solidarity. The degree of actual genetic closeness between these peoples is a matter for experts but the Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uyghurs on their culture and history is well worth reading.

If the relationship is as diffuse as you suggest why do you think Turkey is so keen to take up the cause of these people? I would suggest that it is because when Turkey's attempt to join the EU fails (happy day!) they will look to create their own cultural/ethnic/religious bloc.

The Uighur speak a Turkic language, identify themselves, and are identified by others, as a Turkic people, having strong religious and cultural ties to the various other Turkic goups, that stretch from Turkey itself through Central Asia to China. Since the fall of the Soviet Union there has been quite a stong movement for Pan-Turkism, stressing these links, and looking to create a degree of political solidarity. The degree of actual genetic closeness between these peoples is a matter for experts but the Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uyghurs on their culture and history is well worth reading.

If the relationship is as diffuse as you suggest why do you think Turkey is so keen to take up the cause of these people? I would suggest that it is because when Turkey's attempt to join the EU fails (happy day!) they will look to create their own cultural/ethnic/religious bloc.

LOL. Pompous lecturing, islamophobia, generalizations, what else ?

At least he made a lot more sense than your ridiculous post with no reference whatsoever to Islam and no generalisation.

Why is Yann55 so upset by what DoctorB has written? The latter seems to have done his homework. I worked in Shanghai from 1983 to 1985 and Uighurs used to hang around the Merchant Seamen's Club and offer to change Renminbi into dollars,at a much better rate than the banks offered, It was extraordinary to find this group of Turkish-looking men in what was an almost entirely Chinese city because only a few hundred foreigners were working there at that time.

So a polite educated reply full of detail has you reply with insults, accusations yet nothing else about the topic or your original claim whatsoever ?

Wow did you just fail on an epic scale. clap2.gif

Edited by englishoak

I read that Thai Police did not request ID from fingerprints to Turkey or China.

I wonder why they do not send fingerprints of suspect to Interpol and/or any country that the suspects used a fake or real passport.

Strange police work !

Even if they are not Turkish, damage is done. Thais will never look at turks the same way as before, and turks like me will have a difficult time.

BTW, as a turk I agree that turkey was a decent country before erdogan. But he has ruined everything during his 12 year rule and turned my once beautiful country into another middle east wreckage.

Edited by gezginrocker

Turkey is not Muslim, Turkey is a strictly secular country.

It is probably far too early to be sceptical about it, there seems to be very little concrete information about the size or nature of this bombing group. There could be many people, and they could be from any nations. So I think "we don't know" is a more appropriate response than "we are sceptical" at this very early stage.

Did you sleep the last couple of years...this was true before Erdogan came.

Not really. Before Erdogan the Turkish military controlled everything. Turkey has never been a democratic country but that's another subject.

Even with Erdogan in power Turkey is an importsnt member of NATO and is known to have channeled funds, weapons to IS in Iraq and Syria with the support of the Western powers and the Saudis and Qataris.

At a minimum, the Thai authorities should have contacted the Turkish Embassy to provide possible consular services. Turkey is no strangers to problematic groups and unlike Thailand, saving face is not a huge issue. They would most likely be quite cooperative. On the other hand, tick the Turks off and they can be very stubborn. Like most Embassies, however, they will provide services to their nationals.

I am sure they don't like these vague accusations flying around.

Turkey in many ways is what Thailand aspires to be in tourism, medicine, manufacturing and many other areas. Turkey even has a law under the Turkish Penal Code (Section 301) which makes it illegal to insult or denigrate "Turkishness". Please feel free to compare Thainess and Turkishness, but be careful about the insults. Insulting Turkishness could put you in prison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_301_(Turkish_Penal_Code)

At a minimum, the Thai authorities should have contacted the Turkish Embassy to provide possible consular services. Turkey is no strangers to problematic groups and unlike Thailand, saving face is not a huge issue. They would most likely be quite cooperative. On the other hand, tick the Turks off and they can be very stubborn. Like most Embassies, however, they will provide services to their nationals.

I am sure they don't like these vague accusations flying around.

Agree.

Because the nationality of "Suspect #1" arrested at the apartment is uncertain, and because he was found with a pile of fake Turkish passports, the Turkish embassy should be invited by Thailand to participate in the investigation of this individual, including interviewing him along with Thai officials, to try to determine if he is, in fact, a Turkish citizen.

Perhaps this is happening "back channel", and the public side is all posturing.

On the other hand, perhaps pride, face, and incompetence are in play.

Unfortunately Erdogan has taken Turkey in a completely new direction which will never

see Turkey as a full member of the EU. It is just never going to be part of the Schengen

visa free zone. Democracy in Turkey is on about the same level a Thailand before the

current leadership and only half a level ahead on the level of corruption.

Why is Yann55 so upset by what DoctorB has written? The latter seems to have done his homework. I worked in Shanghai from 1983 to 1985 and Uighurs used to hang around the Merchant Seamen's Club and offer to change Renminbi into dollars,at a much better rate than the banks offered, It was extraordinary to find this group of Turkish-looking men in what was an almost entirely Chinese city because only a few hundred foreigners were working there at that time.

so very true