HELP! Involved in an accident

patyh

I can tell you about my experience having gone through the same thing. I have been involved in 2 accidents with motorcycles where i have been turning right into the Soi where i work but is also a U'turn junction.

1st accident all 3 lanes of cars stopped to allow cars to U'turn so i turned into my soi, half way in and a motorcycle crashes into my front passenger door, 3 students on the bike heading for the college down the road. They all went off to hospital with minor injuries and we met at the local police station a few hours later. I had the insurance rep ( full insurance-company car ) and someone from my company with me. After some negotiation the police said 50-50 but could i give some money to help pay for the bike repairs. My insurance rep said absolutely no way, they were not insured and if any money given it would be seen as admitting liability. Case closed.

In Dec last year exactly the same thing happened only this time it was a motorcycle courier and he hit my front passenger at some speed and ended up in a coma for 5 weeks. Then started the nightmare.

This time the police said it was my fault. Insurance company agree but start to haggle with the family over compensation, or so i first thought. Turns out they wanted to make sure the family used the full Government insurance to pay medical bills before my insurance company would pay the rest.

Then came the compensation claims. I am requested by my insurance rep to meet at the police station with the policeman who attended and the parents of the rider. I go along with my wife ( works same company as me ) and when we arrive we are greeted by a lawyer representing the family. I immediately say this is not going to happen and tell my rep to stop the negotiating and to get some legal representation. Policeman intervenes and says this is just the first meeting to see what both parties think about compensation, and the wife advises me to say nothing at this point.

So i sit listening to sums of money being mentioned at various points but my Thai is not good enough to understand the majority of the conversation. Anyway i keep hearing the sum of 3 million baht and am starting to get seriously worried and decide to stop the meeting and demand some explanations about what is going on. Turns out they were still talking about medical bills and confirming the insurance "should cover " all bills.

This is getting too long so to sum up at that meeting i gave their lawyer a 30,000 Baht goodwill payment to cover the families expenses for a while as the rider was alledgedly their only income earner. This was all documented at the station with photo's etc. I thought that it was then all over, but no...

The mother calls our company in April this year asking why i have not attempted to pay any compensation etc ?? After investigating it seems the lawyer still had the money and he claimed the family did not want it as it was not enough. He never passed this info onto us. Back to the station where the lawyer gives me my money back, no sign of the family. Eventually we meet again a few weeks later at the station this time with the family and the motorcycle rider, who thankfully was making a good recovery, to settle compensation and hospital bills. The insurance hands over a check for about 3.2 million baht and then i think now how much is the compensation claim going to be ?

Turns out they were happy with the 30,000 baht and after some more photo's signed a declaration at the station stating that was the end of the matter. It was as far as the family was concerned, after they left my insurance rep informed me the police may still charge me for reckless driving.... It is now Sept, 9 months after the accident and although i try to put it behind me i still have the threat of the police charge hanging around.

The OP's case will be much more straight forward as only minor injuries involved. I appreciate mine is a long post and have actually left out many details but wanted to say that all the posters on here saying leave it to the Rep, do not go to police station, do not meet with family etc, the reality is far different and what happens in some accidents does not mean it will apply to all.

I do agree with standing your ground though, having said that i disagreed with taking the full blame for the accident, not much you can do when the police say it's my fault and your own insurance agrees.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow...this sounds like a no brainer....motorcycle guy driving with no license....case closed....he's guilty. Shouldn't have been on the road and if he wasn't on the road driving illegally, then the accident would not have happened.

closed.

lol this in the country where they stop you for no licence, take money for the fine and happily wave you on your way with no licence or helmet...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I can tell you about my experience having gone through the same thing. I have been involved in 2 accidents with motorcycles where i have been turning right into the Soi where i work but is also a U'turn junction.

1st accident all 3 lanes of cars stopped to allow cars to U'turn so i turned into my soi, half way in and a motorcycle crashes into my front passenger door, 3 students on the bike heading for the college down the road. They all went off to hospital with minor injuries and we met at the local police station a few hours later. I had the insurance rep ( full insurance-company car ) and someone from my company with me. After some negotiation the police said 50-50 but could i give some money to help pay for the bike repairs. My insurance rep said absolutely no way, they were not insured and if any money given it would be seen as admitting liability. Case closed.

In Dec last year exactly the same thing happened only this time it was a motorcycle courier and he hit my front passenger at some speed and ended up in a coma for 5 weeks. Then started the nightmare.

This time the police said it was my fault. Insurance company agree but start to haggle with the family over compensation, or so i first thought. Turns out they wanted to make sure the family used the full Government insurance to pay medical bills before my insurance company would pay the rest.

Then came the compensation claims. I am requested by my insurance rep to meet at the police station with the policeman who attended and the parents of the rider. I go along with my wife ( works same company as me ) and when we arrive we are greeted by a lawyer representing the family. I immediately say this is not going to happen and tell my rep to stop the negotiating and to get some legal representation. Policeman intervenes and says this is just the first meeting to see what both parties think about compensation, and the wife advises me to say nothing at this point.

So i sit listening to sums of money being mentioned at various points but my Thai is not good enough to understand the majority of the conversation. Anyway i keep hearing the sum of 3 million baht and am starting to get seriously worried and decide to stop the meeting and demand some explanations about what is going on. Turns out they were still talking about medical bills and confirming the insurance "should cover " all bills.

This is getting too long so to sum up at that meeting i gave their lawyer a 30,000 Baht goodwill payment to cover the families expenses for a while as the rider was alledgedly their only income earner. This was all documented at the station with photo's etc. I thought that it was then all over, but no...

The mother calls our company in April this year asking why i have not attempted to pay any compensation etc ?? After investigating it seems the lawyer still had the money and he claimed the family did not want it as it was not enough. He never passed this info onto us. Back to the station where the lawyer gives me my money back, no sign of the family. Eventually we meet again a few weeks later at the station this time with the family and the motorcycle rider, who thankfully was making a good recovery, to settle compensation and hospital bills. The insurance hands over a check for about 3.2 million baht and then i think now how much is the compensation claim going to be ?

Turns out they were happy with the 30,000 baht and after some more photo's signed a declaration at the station stating that was the end of the matter. It was as far as the family was concerned, after they left my insurance rep informed me the police may still charge me for reckless driving.... It is now Sept, 9 months after the accident and although i try to put it behind me i still have the threat of the police charge hanging around.

The OP's case will be much more straight forward as only minor injuries involved. I appreciate mine is a long post and have actually left out many details but wanted to say that all the posters on here saying leave it to the Rep, do not go to police station, do not meet with family etc, the reality is far different and what happens in some accidents does not mean it will apply to all.

I do agree with standing your ground though, having said that i disagreed with taking the full blame for the accident, not much you can do when the police say it's my fault and your own insurance agrees.

You can not agree and have them take it to court. So yes, not the preferable method, but if you really do not agree the only method.

Don't worry about the reckless driving charge BTW, will be a fine of 1,000 Baht, maybe even less. And if the police have not come to you by now, they most probably never will.

Update:

The guy handling my insurance just called me. Asking for the details of my "Por Ror Bor" company.

Just wanted the name of the company and that's it. I'm confused. What's next?

ADD:

1st class insurance and "Por Ror Bor" are from different company.

The PorOrBor is the first in line to pay for medical expenses for the injured party. So most likely your 1st class insurance will pay those, and reclaim from the PorOrBor.

Hello Bangkokhater,

I thank you for the detailed post. Would love to talk more about it privately though.

Anyhow, were you ever made to pay a "fine" for reckless driving?

Please let me know how can I contact you to discuss in details privately.

Update:

The guy handling my insurance just called me. Asking for the details of my "Por Ror Bor" company.

ADD:

The PorOrBor is the first in line to pay for medical expenses for the injured party. So most likely your 1st class insurance will pay those, and reclaim from the PorOrBor.
So both insurances get involved?

In UK it's illegal to have 2 insurance policies for anything, so this is all a bit odd to me.

I assumed that the compulsory insurance was a minimum and the full or first class insurance took its place...

Update:

ADD:

In UK it's illegal to have 2 insurance policies for anything, so this is all a bit odd to me.

I assumed that the compulsory insurance was a minimum and the full or first class insurance took its place...

Like they say this is Thailand. So things does get confusing for me.

When I purchase the 1st class insurance, I was not given the option of buying the "por ror bor". So I had to buy the "por ror bor" separately.

What I am going to do next is to call the office of my insurance company and ask them what's next. Because the "por ror bor" gave me a different story as to the claim procedure.

Does anyone here have experience in this?

Edited by patyh

Folk who have no insurance or license will SCREAM it's your fault. They fear having to pay money they don't have, they think Thai police will back them............If you or me KNOW we were not in the wrong then feeeeeeerk them...Make that clear to your insurance company........You can even go above the head of the insurance guy that turned up....Remember many folk are on the make from all directions..

Right now we cannot prove that he have no License. He was not carrying an id Card or License with him at the point of the accident.

Update:

ADD:

I'm not sure exactly, but afaik in the UK it is the same as in many countries: there is a 3rd party insurance (in Thailand the compulsory PorOrBor), you can increase the coverage on that 3rd part insurance, and you can choose to cover your car with several cover options. Normally the compulsory 3rd party insurance would be with the same company as the extended coverage, but in Thailand that is not necessary.

Folk who have no insurance or license will SCREAM it's your fault. They fear having to pay money they don't have, they think Thai police will back them............If you or me KNOW we were not in the wrong then feeeeeeerk them...Make that clear to your insurance company........You can even go above the head of the insurance guy that turned up....Remember many folk are on the make from all directions..

Right now we cannot prove that he have no License. He was not carrying an id Card or License with him at the point of the accident.

It was a motorbike, so very, very likely he had no insurance except for the PorOrBor.

And him having a license or not will not have any effect on your claim. If he doesn't have one he'll be fined, end of story.

Hello Bangkokhater,

I thank you for the detailed post. Would love to talk more about it privately though.

Anyhow, were you ever made to pay a "fine" for reckless driving?

Please let me know how can I contact you to discuss in details privately.

It was mentioned on my last visit to the police station that i may face charges and the Insurance rep and my work colleague suggested they wanted a piece of the pie. They have called my company 2 times since without actually saying what they plan to do next. It's been over 3 months since i settled with the family at the station, but still no request to pay a fine or any charges levelled.

You are welcome to PM me if you wish.

Got taken out by a female pickup driver a couple of years ago. The rego insurance paid the first portion and her insurance paid a huge lump of what was left. I was still out of pocket around 200k and had to pay the standard 1000 baht fine just because I was there.

Plus incorrect.

Oh do share your imaginary 10+ years of experience in insurance industry .

Also do explain why with so much bravado and knowledge you could not deal with your insurance?

This is part of the damages, so has to be paid for by the party at fault.

What do you mean with 'you could not deal with your insurance' BTW? Does not make sense at all.

Third party damages are paid by insurance NOT by the person involved.

Third party can lodge claim with sufficient evidence of losses, which includes little more than i "third party say so" plus medical reports from a number of doctors confirming inability to work.

With minor incident like this, there would be big fat ZERO pay out for losses.

You are a self proclaimed insurance expert, yet you yourself you could not told with Viriyah as you stated in another thread

Plus incorrect.

Oh do share your imaginary 10+ years of experience in insurance industry .

Also do explain why with so much bravado and knowledge you could not deal with your insurance?

This is part of the damages, so has to be paid for by the party at fault.

What do you mean with 'you could not deal with your insurance' BTW? Does not make sense at all.

Third party damages are paid by insurance NOT by the person involved.

Third party can lodge claim with sufficient evidence of losses, which includes little more than i "third party say so" plus medical reports from a number of doctors confirming inability to work.

With minor incident like this, there would be big fat ZERO pay out for losses.

You are a self proclaimed insurance expert, yet you yourself you could not told with Viriyah as you stated in another thread

No. Person involved is responsible for 3rd party charges. If insurance covers, good, but not everything will be covered, which means involved party will have to pay.

And of course damages have to be proven, that is always the case.

Any reason you're not letting your Thai wife and her family resolve this? If you even start discusing money with him you can't back out. Don't discuss anything with him.

Depending where they are from... country folk don't tend to understand car insurance.

i have a couple of questions

i have class 3 insurance costing 3000 baht on an old Nissan..the policy covers medical and repairs for the other car

would i be liable for any extras from my own pocket as compensation for loss of earnings or pain and suffering?

how does class 1 differ from class 3 apart from the policy doesnt pay for damages to the policy holders car and medical costs?

Your experience is SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) when a foreigner is involved in an accident with a Thai...

Tell the brother...trying to extort extra money from you...to talk with your insurance company...that is why you have insurance....

Do not be intimidated by the Thais...you have done all you need to do...

Don't be surprised...if you give more money...that they keep coming back for more...

Good Luck!

No. Person involved is responsible for 3rd party charges. If insurance covers, good, but not everything will be covered, which means involved party will have to pay.

Show me such rule or law that a person with full cover is responsible for any damages

Show me such rule or law that a person with full cover is responsible for any damages

Let's turn it around. Show me the law that says a person is only responsible for material damage. I can tell you there is none. Nor is there one that says 'responsible for immaterial damage', but there is that says 'damage', therefore all damages.

Your reference to insurance (full cover) has nothing to do with the issue since insurance is not related to responsibility.

Let's turn it around. Show me the law that says a person is only responsible for material damage. I can tell you there is none. Nor is there one that says 'responsible for immaterial damage', but there is that says 'damage', therefore all damages.

Your reference to insurance (full cover) has nothing to do with the issue since insurance is not related to responsibility.

What are you raving on about?

Once again, you going way off topic with your self proclaimed expert knowledge, yet as usual not a single string of proof.

There was an accident, one party is fully insured. This party was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

This party has full insurance, This party is NOT responsible to pay for any damages caused. His insurance is, within its insurance policy.

Should injured party want more than maximum insurance pay out, they can then sue individual for more money.

In this thread and this case of minor incident, OP owes other guy absolutely nothing. and whatever loss other guy like to claim, he would have to claim it from insurance providing proof of losses.

May be you never had insurance policy, first class covers property damage, injury and loss of life, my policy also covers loss of income, from memory 500 000 and i think up to 5 passengers.

Any reason you're not letting your Thai wife and her family resolve this? If you even start discusing money with him you can't back out. Don't discuss anything with him.

Depending where they are from... country folk don't tend to understand car insurance.

That is very true. In my too long post i mentioned the family giving me back 30, 000 baht because it was not enough, then later happily accepting the same amount at the police station.

Turns out the mother thought that that was all they were getting to cover hospital bills etc.

What are you raving on about?

Once again, you going way off topic with your self proclaimed expert knowledge, yet as usual not a single string of proof.

There was an accident, one party is fully insured. This party was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

This party has full insurance, This party is NOT responsible to pay for any damages caused. His insurance is, within its insurance policy.

Should injured party want more than maximum insurance pay out, they can then sue individual for more money.

In this thread and this case of minor incident, OP owes other guy absolutely nothing. and whatever loss other guy like to claim, he would have to claim it from insurance providing proof of losses.

May be you never had insurance policy, first class covers property damage, injury and loss of life, my policy also covers loss of income, from memory 500 000 and i think up to 5 passengers.

Wow.

Once again: it is not about insurance, it is about responsibility. The person responsible for the accident has to pay. If he had insurance, good for him, if he doesn't, out of pocket. And yes, have that insurance guy handle if all.

Now if not covered by insurance he still is responsible. If not willing to pay, court is the next step, after mediation with police.

You have to let go of the idea 'he had to claim from insurance'. He has to claim from responsible party, who will get insurance to pay if justified and covered. But if not covered but justified the person himself has to pay.

Edited by stevenl

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I was trying to cross to enter a business in the other side of a two lane road. Traffic was backed up to some lights, so quite unusually a car backed up so I could cross over. As I slowly moved forward a motorbike came racing up on the inside hard shoulder and slammed straight into the front of my car (which is fitted with bull bars). The male rider was uninjured, but his female pillion had a leg injury. The bike was bent too, but no damage to my car. The police arrived, and an ambulance, and we all made statements and produced our documents. The bike was uninsured, and tax out of date, and they were not wearing helmets. All my papers were good, but I didn't have comprehensive insurance. In the end, I was blamed and made to pay for the bike damage, her hospital bills and her loss of income..! We later found out that she wasn't working where she said she was, and we stopped all further payments. The police thought it was funny that I objected to the way they handled the case. I was later stopped and threatened with jail, if I didn't pay a substantial bribe. My opinion of the Thai Police was changed forever after..

I'm curious. What happened after that?